Rechecking Bag on Connection Flights

S

suarezj519

Hi guys,

So if anyone could confirm if this is true or not that has flown to DR or another country recently within the last month and had a connection within the US before your international flight. Supposedly, my father who went to the DR last week out of Detroit with connection in Boston to SDQ was told new rules as of September 2019 that you must recheck your bag on domestic connections now? I thought this was only for incoming flights from international? He said he found this out when he didn't receive his bag at SDQ and called the airline. Is this true? I'm probably traveling to DR soon and this will mean I'll at least have to take longer layovers now. Obviously no direct flights from Detroit to DR (except Punta Cana)

S

SantiagoDR

I returned Tampa to Miami to Santiago on Tuesday, October 1st and I did not have to recheck my bags in Miami.

I flew on American Airlines.

M

MoeP

I flew LAS-MIA-LHR mid september and my luggage was checked through. LAS-MIA was on AA, MiA-LHR on BA but on one BA ticket. I chatted with customer service at BA couple days before and they confirmed it will be checked through if both flights are on one ticket, if seperate tickets I would have to recheck it.

W

william webster

Watch the luggage tag - it will indicate the flights....

But always ask if in doubt.....

should have been DTW-BOS-SDQ

S

suarezj519

Thanks guys. Yeah I don't know what the case with my dads luggage was then? He had same airline and tag ending in SDQ. I'm not sure why the Rep would tell him that if its not true. As long as the tag includes end destination booked through one ticket m, it always automatically gets sent through.

R

Ricardo900

I never had to re-check my bags when connecting to another domestic destination prior to my international travel., i.e. JFK - MIA - SDQ. What is there to recheck? You already went thru TSA and checked via the airlines. Now, on the return trip, i.e. SDQ - MIA - JFK. I will have to go thru customs and grab my bags, re-check them and go thru TSA. Understandable because you are on US soil. And MIA is your first point of entry.

K

keepcoming

Flew PHX-CLT-SDQ and did not have to recheck. Did your dad fly 2 different carriers?

S

SantiagoDR

ALWAYS remember to remove any airline tags after you reach your last stop.

This last trip of mine, American Airline was also, besides the normal baggage tag, putting a small 1" by 2" bar code sticker on the luggage.

I made sure to remove them after my last stop.

Don

R

Riva_31

Depends on the Airline, usually if you do not have to recheck your suitcase in the tag appears the airport code of the final destination, if has the code for the airport that you are connecting that mean you have to recheck, always is good to ask about it at the moment of the check in, they will tell you.

D

Drro

I'm flying DCA (Wash) to POP on AA in 2 weeks and called re checked luggage. What you check in the States goes through to your final destination. I don't usually check luggage so I called AA and they confirmed what I've written.

If memory serves it's if you check luggage on your return that you have to recheck as you have to go through passport control where you land before your final destination.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm flying DCA (Wash) to POP on AA in 2 weeks and called re checked luggage. What you check in the States goes through to your final destination. I don't usually check luggage so I called AA and they confirmed what I've written.

If memory serves it's if you check luggage on your return that you have to recheck as you have to go through passport control where you land before your final destination.

And there is a variation on that as well: Santo Domingo to JFK. Flight was cancelled so they put us on Santo Domingo to PR. Deboard. GO THRU immigrations .No re-check bags. On to JFK no immigration because you had that done in US territory already.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I just flew ATL-MIA-POP and did not have to recheck in MIA.

Yes, that’s because you flew USA-USA-Dom Rep.

If you fly the same route on the way back (POP-MIA-ATL) you will have to recheck your bags in MIA. That’s because in Miami (as your “first port of entry” into the US) you will have to clear immigration and customs before you connect to your (domestic) flight to Atlanta.

Hi guys,

So if anyone could confirm if this is true or not that has flown to DR or another country recently within the last month and had a connection within the US before your international flight. Supposedly, my father who went to the DR last week out of Detroit with connection in Boston to SDQ was told new rules as of September 2019 that you must recheck your bag on domestic connections now? I thought this was only for incoming flights from international? He said he found this out when he didn't receive his bag at SDQ and called the airline. Is this true? I'm probably traveling to DR soon and this will mean I'll at least have to take longer layovers now. Obviously no direct flights from Detroit to DR (except Punta Cana)

Only way this should happen is if somehow he was on 2 separate reservations, even so they can correct that at the airport. That is not a policy or a new regulation. You only should recheck your bag when you arrive from an international destination.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I flew BRU-SDQ-POP and had to recheck all hand luggage in SDQ. We also had the sniffer dogs TWICE before we re-boarded plane for the 25 minute flight.

Ethridge72

Oct 2, 2018
Yes, that’s because you flew USA-USA-Dom Rep.

If you fly the same route on the way back (POP-MIA-ATL) you will have to recheck your bags in MIA. That’s because in Miami (as your “first port of entry” into the US) you will have to clear immigration and customs before you connect to your (domestic) flight to Atlanta.

His question was about connecting flights within the US, not returning to the US......
"So if anyone could confirm if this is true or not that has flown to DR or another country recently within the last month and had a connection within the US before your international flight."