Recommendations for historial. cultural. interesting and bizarre off the normal grid places to go

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am interested in NON-TOURIST places to visit, things to do, that normally would not fall into a tourist attraction. Done that been there as you can imagine.
Now that I have a car I'm ready to go and see more of the DR and its' history, culture and everyday living. First recommendation I received was for a most beautiful hotel in Jarabocao that seems to be an excellent way to spend a couple of days away from the beach that I enjoy everyday. I would also like to visit small villages that are totally off the grid. No nada. Historial spots having to do with Truillo.
I would welcome any and all suggestions that the members might have. All ideas are good ideas.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This hotel on the top of a mountain in Santiago has an exhibit of Truillo's automobiles. Also a nice play to spend a night.

Reactions: johne

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
pelea de galllos "cock fights"
Ah, I'v received invitations but never have gone. I imagine one should go with a friend that knows the deal. And my GF will not be joining as she's not into gory.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This hotel on the top of a mountain in Santiago has an exhibit of Truillo's automobiles. Also a nice play to spend a night.

What a view!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
West of the capital: Trujillo's former mansion near San Cristóbal - I've never been.

Also in that part of the country, the ruins of the Ingenio Boca de Niguasugar plantation. Cambita up in the mountains, with the scenic L'Aubergine restaurant, German-owned. Reservations only, due to Covid. https://aubergine.com.do/

Azua - the ruins of the former city at Pueblo Viejo, destroyed by an earthquake.

San Juan de la Maguana - Taíno stone circle - El corral de los indios.

East - less touristy attractions include the fishing village of Boca de Yuma with a choice of options for a seafood lunch, and for a splash of history visit Cueva de Bernal for Taíno petroglyphs and Ponce de León's house near San Rafael de Yuma. Montaña Redonda on the way to Miches is touristy but spectacular. For more Taíno petroglyphs, la Cueva de las maravillas is on the main highway between San Pedro and La Romana.

North coast - the Jewish museum in Sosua, the ruins at La Isabela.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
West of the capital: Trujillo's former mansion near San Cristóbal - I've never been.

Also in that part of the country, the ruins of the Ingenio Boca de Niguasugar plantation. Cambita up in the mountains, with the scenic L'Aubergine restaurant, German-owned. Reservations only, due to Covid. https://aubergine.com.do/

Azua - the ruins of the former city at Pueblo Viejo, destroyed by an earthquake.

San Juan de la Maguana - Taíno stone circle - El corral de los indios.

East - less touristy attractions include the fishing village of Boca de Yuma with a choice of options for a seafood lunch, and for a splash of history visit Cueva de Bernal for Taíno petroglyphs and Ponce de León's house near San Rafael de Yuma. Montaña Redonda on the way to Miches is touristy but spectacular. For more Taíno petroglyphs, la Cueva de las maravillas is on the main highway between San Pedro and La Romana.

North coast - the Jewish museum in Sosua, the ruins at La Isabela.
AH, this is what I was looking for!Hope this is useful to our members.