Recommending Bagels & More

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You're only supposed to eat half! And the cream cheese layer (if you use it) should be as thin as butter. That's the mistake non-native bagel eaters make with that big hunk o' cream cheese. Not for nothing is the right proportion called a schmear.

Toasted, mit a schmear.... bialys are good too, haven't ever even seen one where I live, never mind DR. I wonder if the Bagels & More people have them?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in my defense, i had freshly baked bagels when i lived in london, very different than packaged goods indeed but still filling.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Sambomambo:

I sent you an pm asking you if you purchased a DR1 ad.

No reply as of yet.

All your post will be "unapproved" until you purchase an ad.

sambomambo

Banned
May 8, 2011
just replied, had not seen your pm and really did not know about advertising. my sincere apologies, my plugs were not intended to circumvent paid advertising, won't do again.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The only good bagels in the DR are the ones I bring back in my suitcase from H & H on Second Avenue. And their arrival is a closely guarded secret.

I bring back bagels from NY Bagel Deli in Miami every trip. They are NYC quality. Not the best NYC quality but very good. Going there friday on my way home.
If bagels and more set up delivery, it would be great. Order a dozen every sunday or monday. I would like to see what the pastrami looks like if they have it.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
My grandfather and uncle were bakers in Jewish bakeries. I miss having fresh bagels dropped of at the front door every morning. I will just cherish those memories and give up the quest of looking for bagels here.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
My grandfather and uncle were bakers in Jewish bakeries. I miss having fresh bagels dropped of at the front door every morning. I will just cherish those memories and give up the quest of looking for bagels here.

If they were Jewish baked they would be "beigels" not bagels.......beigels are probably what DV had in London......a very different thing to the US bagel.

When I was growing up, the old Jewish East End of London was replete with beigel shops. I remember clearly going to those places with my late father and uncles. They were usually in the basements and cellars of houses bombed out in the "Blitz"...they were dark, hot and steamy caverns down rickety wooden stairs. The beigel-machers were all, at least in the eyes of a little boy, huge men wearing vests (the English kind) sweating over the steaming cauldrons in which the beigels were boiled before they were glazed and baked in a hole-in-the-wall brick oven on long planks of wood. In a side room the dough would be prepared and shaped....the way they got the hole in the middle was always a topic for jokes among the men which I never understood, partly because of my juvenile innocence but more likely because they were told in Yiddish to which, in my own Spanish & Portuguese childhood, I had yet to be exposed................

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If they were Jewish baked they would be "beigels" not bagels.......beigels are probably what DV had in London......a very different thing to the US bagel.

When I was growing up, the old Jewish East End of London was replete with beigel shops. I remember clearly going to those places with my late father and uncles. They were usually in the basements and cellars of houses bombed out in the "Blitz"...they were dark, hot and steamy caverns down rickety wooden stairs. The beigel-machers were all, at least in the eyes of a little boy, huge men wearing vests (the English kind) sweating over the steaming cauldrons in which the beigels were boiled before they were glazed and baked in a hole-in-the-wall brick oven on long planks of wood. In a side room the dough would be prepared and shaped....the way they got the hole in the middle was always a topic for jokes among the men which I never understood, partly because of my juvenile innocence but more likely because they were told in Yiddish to which, in my own Spanish & Portuguese childhood, I had yet to be exposed................

I had to google that!

http://kosherkingdom.tumblr.com/post/47619936837/bagel-or-beigel

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
originated in krak?w, poland?! whoa, one learns something every day, right?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
originated in krak?w, poland?! whoa, one learns something every day, right?

So did my maternal grandfather......although I think he was actually born in a place called Tomasz?w, but don't ask me which Tomasz?w...............we have his 19th century passport but it just says something like "Miejsce urodzenia : Tomasz?w"

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Bagels & More, when at the old location, was originally importing their bagels from H&H in New York. Many of us felt that when they changed suppliers and bought a lesser quality in Miami, that was the beginning of their downfall and eventually closing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
grandfather? likely this is the place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomaszów_Mazowiecki

more towards on topic, i am surprised because i have not seen bagels/beigels in poland when i was younger. of course my city was as far from krak?w as possible and had different demographic than most parts of the country. many jewish dishes have been adopted by polaks and became staple foods, but not bagels...

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Bagels & More, when at the old location, was originally importing their bagels from H&H in New York. Many of us felt that when they changed suppliers and bought a lesser quality in Miami, that was the beginning of their downfall and eventually closing.

The original H&H have been defunct since going "meholla" in 2012 and closing their two Upper West Side and Hell's Kitchen locations. The Upper East Side "H&H" has different owners and today, only the name (not the quality or reputation) is the same.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Off Topic but I will never forget the first time I entered a bagel shop in Miami and ask for a "toasted" bagel with butter.

They looked at me like I was from Mars or something.

But they gladly put ketchup on my hot dog. ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The original H&H have been defunct since going "meholla" in 2012 and closing their two Upper West Side and Hell's Kitchen locations. The Upper East Side "H&H" has different owners and today, only the name (not the quality or reputation) is the same.

I concur on the UES "H&H" being inferior to the original, but it is still in the top 5 in NYC.
JUMBO on First / 55th is better or equal to original H&H.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Ok.

Including myself, let's talk DR bagels............................

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Ok.

Including myself, let's talk DR bagels............................

OK Bb, but DR bagels is something of a rather limited subject and the new BnM is really the only show in town. It has a couple of Levantine dishes too that you won't find outside of Falafel Zona Colonial.................which is also an exceptional place and well worth trying even if a little off topic............

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OK Bb, but DR bagels is something of a rather limited subject and the new BnM is really the only show in town. It has a couple of Levantine dishes too that you won't find outside of Falafel Zona Colonial.................which is also an exceptional place and well worth trying even if a little off topic............

You can elaborate on anything that includes the "More". ;)