Recommending Bagels & More

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
what levantine dishes?

For ex.

dishes.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=lev...X&ved=0CB8QsARqFQoTCNyHxNbjhskCFQaMkAodEZoDsg

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
If they were Jewish baked they would be "beigels" not bagels.......beigels are probably what DV had in London......a very different thing to the US bagel.

When I was growing up, the old Jewish East End of London was replete with beigel shops. I remember clearly going to those places with my late father and uncles. They were usually in the basements and cellars of houses bombed out in the "Blitz"...they were dark, hot and steamy caverns down rickety wooden stairs. The beigel-machers were all, at least in the eyes of a little boy, huge men wearing vests (the English kind) sweating over the steaming cauldrons in which the beigels were boiled before they were glazed and baked in a hole-in-the-wall brick oven on long planks of wood. In a side room the dough would be prepared and shaped....the way they got the hole in the middle was always a topic for jokes among the men which I never understood, partly because of my juvenile innocence but more likely because they were told in Yiddish to which, in my own Spanish & Portuguese childhood, I had yet to be exposed................

My grandfather was a Russian Jew who learned to bake bagels (as we called them) in the old country. You do not get more authentic than that.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Well, I'm sure that Gerry (Sambomambo) would have answered your question and published his entire menu had you not shoo'd him away earlier...........

No ticket, no laundry....................................

Need an ad.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Wow, bagels in the DR!!!!!!!! Next thing you need is to buy some smoked salmon and combine with cream cheeze to make a Nova spread. Wonderful.

That would be a game changer. We crave bagels & lox every weekend morning.