Reconditioned generator dealer on the north coast

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Does anyone know of a used generator dealer on the north coast?

There used to be one in Moca, but I can't remember where he is. A solid diesel generator of a known brand should last forever, so a reconditioned one will work fine. I need a larger one, 25KW.

Thanks in advance

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Does anyone know of a used generator dealer on the north coast?

There used to be one in Moca, but I can't remember where he is. A solid diesel generator of a known brand should last forever, so a reconditioned one will work fine. I need a larger one, 25KW.

Thanks in advance
In Sosua, at the old car wash, where El Flow in now located, is Relectric(IIRC). They always have some large used generators. Both father and son speak english.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Heading west from Sosua to Puerto Plata on #5, on the south side entering Cangrejo was another sales/rental/repair place for used generators.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
CAT is a great choice, parts always available. OP is asking about 25 KW's, never saw a portable one of that size.
as in mobile (dragged around a construction site) What I like about CAT products is the components are easy to paint and hold the paint. Can make them look new come selling time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans do not have a stellar reputation for maintenance on engines be they in a car or a generator.
Dominicans have a stellar reputation for being able to take a worn out hi miles dog of a car and make it sparkle on the used car lot.
These skills transfer easily to used gensets.
My experience is when a Dominica is done with a thing it is of no further use to any living soul.

Be very careful with anything used here, be it a wife, girlfriend, car or generator.

Mike Logan used to post here a lot and began a small business finding cars for expats.
Mike has a fine reputation , speaks good English and you might get his email here and use his services to check any gen you want to buy beforehand..
In the US there are a number of companies that have a engine oil analysis service.
The analysis shows all impurities in the oil, including coolant leaking into the engine oil.
You request a sample bottle, make the collection and send it in.

I captained a snapper/ grouper a fishing boat running long distances offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and I found peace of mind doing an oil analysis with every oil change.
Twin turbo 12v 71 Detroit diesel never left me offshore in 12 years.
100 miles off shore or Florida in GOM is a lonely place in a single engine boat.
When I sold the boat and the business I used the oil analysis service history to demonstrate the soundness of the engine.
Good luck in your hunt.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Dominicans do not have a stellar reputation for maintenance on engines be they in a car or a generator.
Dominicans have a stellar reputation for being able to take a worn out hi miles dog of a car and make it sparkle on the used car lot.
These skills transfer easily to used gensets.
My experience is when a Dominica is done with a thing it is of no further use to any living soul.

Be very careful with anything used here, be it a wife, girlfriend, car or generator.

Mike Logan used to post here a lot and began a small business finding cars for expats.
Mike has a fine reputation , speaks good English and you might get his email here and use his services to check any gen you want to buy beforehand..
In the US there are a number of companies that have a engine oil analysis service.
The analysis shows all impurities in the oil, including coolant leaking into the engine oil.
You request a sample bottle, make the collection and send it in.

I captained a snapper/ grouper a fishing boat running long distances offshore in the Gulf of Mexico and I found peace of mind doing an oil analysis with every oil change.
Twin turbo 12v 71 Detroit diesel never left me offshore in 12 years.
100 miles off shore or Florida in GOM is a lonely place in a single engine boat.
When I sold the boat and the business I used the oil analysis service history to demonstrate the soundness of the engine.
Good luck in your hunt.
I would be more concern on the generator part than the diesel engine?

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
Good call on Mike Logan. Found his email cafenegril1@yahoo.com . If I find something, he could test the motor. The generator is a different thing. A new generator (the electric generation part) with a solid diesel engine is still a lot cheaper than a new complete generator.

I am aware of the challenges with used, and I'm also pricing out new. I figured that with a dealer and a warranty, it could work. I'm also pricing out reconditioned ones in Miami and just import one in. I wonder if someone imports the used rebuilt ones the way that they import the cars?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Good call on Mike Logan. Found his email cafenegril1@yahoo.com . If I find something, he could test the motor. The generator is a different thing. A new generator (the electric generation part) with a solid diesel engine is still a lot cheaper than a new complete generator.

I am aware of the challenges with used, and I'm also pricing out new. I figured that with a dealer and a warranty, it could work. I'm also pricing out reconditioned ones in Miami and just import one in. I wonder if someone imports the used rebuilt ones the way that they import the cars?
A used generator should look presentable and start at the touch of a switch.

Mike would be able to look inside a generator and see if the wiring or plumbing has been meddled with or adapted, which would be a "no go" for me and I'm sure Mike too.

They also have a voltmeter, temperature gauge, an hour gauge, and a few others. All should look to be in good shape and unmolested.

I'd bet Mike goes through a mental checklist very similar to this.

The last generator I bought was from the Timberland bankruptcy auction. A new 80kw Cummins with only 100 hours on it for 6K.

That's the kind of deal you look for.

Reactions: Taylor

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
For general information for anyone looking -

Called the cummings dealer in SD and Santiago. They have a slightly used 100 hour 20 KW gen for $10,500. Also called Juan, he has a 30 KW (also cummings) in good condition. Juan was fast to respond and has been in the business for a while as it was his dad's. Easy to talk to, speaks english.

Will keep you posted on what direction I go.

Reactions: Olly

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
For general information for anyone looking -

Called the cummings dealer in SD and Santiago. They have a slightly used 100 hour 20 KW gen for $10,500. Also called Juan, he has a 30 KW (also cummings) in good condition. Juan was fast to respond and has been in the business for a while as it was his dad's. Easy to talk to, speaks english.

Will keep you posted on what direction I go.
Cool beans! If they're super silent models that's even better. Remember to ask them for a discount on the price.. the price is a little on the high side. I'm betting that's on purpose in case you ask for a discount. lol

They are offered in both "silent" and "super silent." (Many generator brands are like that)

The super silent is the best way to go if you can get one.

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
Pulled the trigger with Juan. Great deal, and came with a 6 month warranty. On time, professional and courteous - they did a site visit as well. Has many of the parts in stock, and offers a maintenance visit (filters/oil and basic check) for $3500 RD Could not ask for more. Why did I know about these guys sooner?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Pulled the trigger with Juan. Great deal, and came with a 6 month warranty. On time, professional and courteous - they did a site visit as well. Has many of the parts in stock, and offers a maintenance visit (filters/oil and basic check) for $3500 RD Could not ask for more. Why did I know about these guys sooner?
Great news! Super silent?

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
Didn't have the super silent, but that's not such as priority as a I have a separate building that houses the generator, and it has a muffler.

Thank you DR1 for the info!

Reactions: JD Jones