Refinery study indicates probable oil and gas deposits

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Hidrocarburos-Listin-Diario-1024x498.png

The Dominican Oil Refinery (Refidomsa) has just released a study carried out by its Investigative and Exploration Unit that reaffirms there are exploitable deposits of gas and oil in the areas of Azua, San Juan de la Maguana, Enriquillo and the Cibao Valley.

Leonardo Aguilera, the president of the refinery’s board of directors, noted that the study will direct exploration efforts to sites based on geological and geophysical elements.

The research was carried out under the coordination of the investigative unit of the refinery by the Pedro Henriquez Ureña University(UNPHU) and the Santander University of Colombia.

The two-year study looked at various aspects of the geophysical spectrum of the four areas to reach their conclusions. The intention is that local and foreign investors in the energy sector have a solid guide for their searches.

Read more in...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wasn't there an article a few months back about oil being found here that was bubbling up out of the ground?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This story comes to pass every so often. Then it is placed in storage to collect dust until there is a wish by someone to have it see sunlight again. It has been suggested by some oil professionals there are oil reserves in the DR. However, the high costs of exploration, drilling, and tapping the oil in DR locations is not economically sustainable at recent crude prices per barrel. The prices per barrel would have to double to make investments feasible.

This Refidomsa study is a nothing more than an inducement for wildcat investors to lease plots and create tax revenue for the state.

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Mr AE was talking about it this morning, that people were scooping it out of the ground.
IIRC it was in San Pedro de Macoris. They was a company that was going to do a study on. I wonder what happened to it?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
If only this was a certainty... and if so, will the powers that be follow Guyana's footsteps?

No way, José: greed and avarice are ingrained in our DNA: Lo mío e' mío, y lo tuyo e' mío también.

Jan 9, 2004
Not to burst the hopes and dreams of the DR, but exploration has been off and on for decades.

While the DR does indeed have oil sediments, there are no proven reserves discovered...........something any company in the business would require in order to commit the time and expense to start drilling.

Onshore areas in/near Enriquillo, Azua, Cibao, Altagracia have all been explored. Offshore exploration also occurred off of the coast of San Pedro.

The DR's real hope in oil is to build a refinery for the massive find in Guyana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Not to burst the hopes and dreams of the DR, but exploration has been off and on for decades.

While the DR does indeed have oil sediments, there are no proven reserves discovered...........something any company in the business would require in order to commit the time and expense to start drilling.

Onshore areas in/near Enriquillo, Azua, Cibao, Altagracia have all been explored. Offshore exploration also occurred off of the coast of San Pedro.

The DR's real hope in oil is to build a refinery for the massive find in Guyana.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Given the DR government’s track record with electrical generation and potable water infrastructure, does anyone believe they have the expertise to environmentally assess and monitor the impacts of offshore and onshore oil exploration and production?

Natural oil seeps gave been discovered all over the world. We have many in our area. As posted, the oil tends to be a low grade bitumen product, expensive to extract and refine and sold cheaply on world markets.

An oil refinery in the DR? Not likely. There is a glut of crude oil today and more than enough refineries to meet worldwide demand.

Our only refinery went through a major upgrade last year and now produces diesel and jet fuel from waste cooking oils. A small scale refinery like that might be viable in the DR. The oils and fats generated by the thousands of DR fried chicken joints on an annual basis would probably economically justify the building and operation of one small refinery. Much less of an environmental threat than a crude oil refinery and an unlimited source of raw feed stock.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Given the DR government’s track record with electrical generation and potable water infrastructure, does anyone believe they have the expertise to environmentally assess and monitor the impacts of offshore and onshore oil exploration and production?

Natural oil seeps gave been discovered all over the world. We have many in our area. As posted, the oil tends to be a low grade bitumen product, expensive to extract and refine and sold cheaply on world markets.

An oil refinery in the DR? Not likely. There is a glut of crude oil today and more than enough refineries to meet worldwide demand.

Our only refinery went through a major upgrade last year and now produces diesel and jet fuel from waste cooking oils. A small scale refinery like that might be viable in the DR. The oils and fats generated by the thousands of DR fried chicken joints on an annual basis would probably economically justify the building and operation of one small refinery. Much less of an environmental threat than a crude oil refinery and an unlimited source of raw feed stock.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Just noticed your post. Good eye AE. My post should have said Another oil refinery in the DR? Not likely. My typo and my bad.

The refining process used at the Refidomsa refinery is old technology and it’s reflected in the quality of their products, particularly their diesel products. It’s not equipped to process bitumin from oil seeps, even if large enough quantities were found. A new refinery would have to be built and the extraction process is similar to the process used to extract our tar sands bitumen oil. Costly and low profit margins.

Think of the benefits of a new small scale DR refinery producing diesel and jet fuel from waste cooking oils. The smell of cooked chicken from the diesel trucks roaring down the highways and the jet aircraft on landing and takeoff at POP airport. 😂

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Were you here for the bad gas fiasco way back in the early 2000's?

That fuel came out of the refinery and caused car damage galore to injectors and carburetors. I had to rebuild my Toyota carb and still had to replace it with a new one.

They did a lot of upgrades to the refinery back then, and there was another significant upgrade to the facilities a few years back.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

That fuel came out of the refinery and caused car damage galore to injectors and carburetors. I had to rebuild my Toyota carb and still had to replace it with a new one.

They did a lot of upgrades to the refinery back then, and there was another significant upgrade to the facilities a few years back.
Yes. I rented a Mazda pickup 4X4 with a diesel engine for a few days to head in behind the Luperon area. It ran okay until I put diesel in it from the small station on the left as you enter Luperon. By the time I got to La Isabella iI was running badly. I limped back to the Budget rental office at Playa Dorada. That was the last time I rented a diesel engine vehicle. I was warned about the quality of DR diesel but never heeded it. All my winters driving gasoline powered vehicles, I never had a problem. Never bought super. Always regular.

Jan 9, 2004

There was bad gas, water in the gas, and no gas.............those were the days.

The DR initially made a couple of what were bad decisions that morphed ultimately into good decisions.

With a not so great economy at the time, they joined Petrocaribe, for discounted and defrayed payment oil from Venezuela and the also sold 49% of Refidomsa to PDVSA, the Venezuelan state owned oil company.

That experiment failed as Venezuela's oil production collapsed under the vast social programs and ineptitude of Hugo Chavez...............leading to the DR buying back the refinery stake held by Venezuela and then the eventual demise of Petrocaribe.............and for which the DR was able to buy back its debt to Venezuela on the subsidized oil for pennies on the dollar.

Once completed, they set about to modernize Refidomsa and bring in "qualified" key people to help run the refinery, such that today they refine a variety of products including jet fuel.

Now they are looking to partner with Guyana and build a refinery there to take advantage of a recent massive oil discovery.

When/if commercially viable oil is produced in the DR, they will be ready to handle it..................but that day, as of right now, is nothing more than a dream for the future.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
That was in the Rio Sanate just west of Higuey.
Do not think there are any traces of oil near Rio Sanate. The river located to the west of Higuey runs north to south. The ruins of a sugar mill from the time of Ponce de Leon is located near the river. If there was and is oil bubbling to the surface it would have fouled the river water from rain runoff making the processing of sugar cane impracticable.

Suggest the oil observed there now is that drained by careless home mechanics performing oil changes.

Regards,

PJT