Refused entry

Chris S.

Island Love
Jul 23, 2020
Pitcairn Island
Hello,

Something that happened to my family just recently might be of interest to some of you.

We (my two minor sons and I) were traveling form Madrid to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, by air. Upon arrival we were refused entry into the country, without any reasons given. On top of that, they wanted us to sleep in the hallway of arrival area at the airport. After making them aware that my kids are five and twelve years old, they allowed us to sleep in a room with another person who they had contained there at the immigration at the airport. The next day they told us we need to leave today, and later that day we were on our wat back to Madrid. Our passports and cellphones were taken from us and held back first by the immigration officer at the airport in Santo Domingo, then by the flight attendant on the plane (Iberia) and finally, back in Madrid, the local police came on the plane we were on and handed me our passports. But only after asking why we were not let into the Dominican Republic. I told them that they did not tell us anything other than that we had to go back to Madrid. So my questions is, why can this happen, especially when in company of two minor children? Both of my kids are US citizens.

This is what I call child abuse and abuse of power of the immigration officers. When I asked to speak to the embassy of the USA they refused and told me they don’t have their phone number. Which was a lie as I myself called them later after I found their number on their website.

The question I have is, how can this happen, especially while in company of two minors?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Hello,

Something that happened to my family just recently might be of interest to some of you.

We (my two minor sons and I) were traveling form Madrid to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, by air. Upon arrival we were refused entry into the country, without any reasons given. On top of that, they wanted us to sleep in the hallway of arrival area at the airport. After making them aware that my kids are five and twelve years old, they allowed us to sleep in a room with another person who they had contained there at the immigration at the airport. The next day they told us we need to leave today, and later that day we were on our wat back to Madrid. Our passports and cellphones were taken from us and held back first by the immigration officer at the airport in Santo Domingo, then by the flight attendant on the plane (Iberia) and finally, back in Madrid, the local police came on the plane we were on and handed me our passports. But only after asking why we were not let into the Dominican Republic. I told them that they did not tell us anything other than that we had to go back to Madrid. So my questions is, why can this happen, especially when in company of two minor children? Both of my kids are US citizens.

This is what I call child abuse and abuse of power of the immigration officers. When I asked to speak to the embassy of the USA they refused and told me they don’t have their phone number. Which was a lie as I myself called them later after I found their number on their website.

The question I have is, how can this happen, especially while in company of two minors?
What ideas do YOU have as to why this occurred ? I can't see how anyone on this forum would know the answer to you question.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Do you visit here frequently ?

if Yes - for how long?
Do you have residency... are the children American or Dominican...?

colmcb

Mar 22, 2009
It seems there may be more to this story. Just my humble opinion. Was everyone else on your flight allowed entry? Without being detained/having cell phones and passports confiscated? It just seems to make sense that there is indeed a valid reason - randomly denying entry to a family of 4 sounds very odd.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Assuming that you are not our old friend Harry Dubois with a new account, did you contact anyone on your return to Spain? Dominican consulate? State Dept? Airline?

Most importantly, do you know if Classicos is open?

Chris S.

Island Love
Jul 23, 2020
Pitcairn Island
What ideas do YOU have as to why this occurred ? I can't see how anyone on this forum would know the answer to you question.
I have no idea, maybe because I traveled with my children alone, their mother was not with us. Maybe someone here had the same experience and knows more about it. It is possible, is it not?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Perhaps you did not have an affidavit stating that the children could travel alone with you?

Chris S.

Island Love
Jul 23, 2020
Pitcairn Island
Do you visit here frequently ?

if Yes - for how long?
Do you have residency... are the children American or Dominican...?
Oh yes, I have lived and worked there for three years (at a time where immigration was not an issue and nobody cared how long anyone has stayed there) about 10 years ago, and since then I have been going there three times a year, but always without my kids. I do not have the residency in the DR. My kids are US citizens, born and raised in the USA.

Chris S.

Island Love
Jul 23, 2020
Pitcairn Island
Assuming that you are not our old friend Harry Dubois with a new account, did you contact anyone on your return to Spain? Dominican consulate? State Dept? Airline?

Most importantly, do you know if Classicos is open?
I called the US embassy and they told me that the DR can refused entry as they please, with or without reason. And that they can't help me as their embassy in Santo Domingo is currently closed.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Perhaps you did not have an affidavit stating that the children could travel alone with you?
Don’t Dominicans care only if your a citizen and leaving the country with one of the parents...I never had problems traveling with my kids alone to and from DR and I’m not a citizen..