Regularization card "Non Resident" foreigners

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
First hand experience---I was there----you can't get a cell phone with this card!
But you can with your passport. I just did from Claro. I also have the regularization card, but they did not ask about it. Would they know that from entering my passport number?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
But you can with your passport. I just did from Claro. I also have the regularization card, but they did not ask about it. Would they know that from entering my passport number?

no, Claro would not know such, and it is not of any interest to them anyways.
every foreigner with a valid passport, is allowed to purchase a cellphone/SIM.
a ID card from the regularization Plan is not such accepted thing.
even every Tourist can purchase a SIM, just with a valid passport at hand,
many many do so every day.

Mike

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Harry 2010 if you have the paper in your passport go down to the office and ask. The registration plan is still very new and the have not worked out all the rules yet. There are people here on DR1 that have residence and writing novels on what thy think may or may not happen. Thy have never
set foot in the office of the regulation plan.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Harry 2010 if you have the paper in your passport go down to the office and ask. The registration plan is still very new and the have not worked out all the rules yet. There are people here on DR1 that have residence and writing novels on what thy think may or may not happen. Thy have never

cheffiiie.
sticker or card or not, does not matter.
it is Not necessary to have anything else than just a valid passport,
to purchase a Claro SIM.
Tourists by Claro SIMS/Phones every day here, just with their passport.

Mike

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
YC,

You do remember who offered to help you many months ago? Can you say that of anyone else? Didn't think so.

Of course some have not needed to register for the regularization plan and that is because they applied for residency before coming here to live. This doesn't mean they don't know of what they speak. Rather than just implying that "some' of us are wrong, how about you point out specifically what you feel is incorrect. Your apparent personal dislike of someone should not be the sole basis upon which to completely dismiss their offerings.

There is no doubt and no ambiguity as to the purpose and function of the regularization plan on the part of the government and the information that they have put forward. There may be quite a bit of doubt on the part of those who rely solely on DR1 as the source for their information for the reasons I explained above. Your advice to seek more info from the authorities is sound. Your justification for that course of action is childish and spiteful.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Hi Mike, I was trying to help Harry2010 and his questions about a driver license.
Actually I just got a new phone here in Santiago and for ounce I am happy with something I got here in the DR. Jjjjj
Cdn_ I sent you a PM.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
cheffiiie.
sticker or card or not, does not matter.
it is Not necessary to have anything else than just a valid passport,
to purchase a Claro SIM.
Tourists by Claro SIMS/Phones every day here, just with their passport.

Mike

You can buy a pre-pay sim with a passport, but you cannot get a Claro monthly plan without three months of bank records at a Dominican Bank...according to a Claro office I was at.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010

Yacht,
I would prefer a Gringo with the regularization card to go ask first

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
It is not the fault of the DR that at the end of one or two years of "regularization" that the vast majority of Haitians will not have the income levels to qualify for residency. At the end of the regularization period, anyone not qualifying for residency will either need a new legal way to stay in the DR, a work visa perhaps, or they will be illegal and subject to deportation.

who's fault would that be?
who's setting up the rules?
even you as an observer already know that the vast majority of haitians would not qualify for residency as the currents rules are set-up.
can you call that dealing in good faith on the part of the DR government?

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
If your point is that the DR seems to be reneging on it's promises, then one needs to very carefully reread what was written.

In the DR, before a person can apply for residency, citizenship or extend a visa, this person must be of legal status at the time of the application according to the law. In other words a foreigner who is in the country illegally, is precluded from submitting an application to Migracion. It would be the same situation if an applicant requests a visitor visa extension after their current visa has already expired. Currently, to apply for residency, the individual must enter the country on a special residency visa issued by the Embassy in their home country. Those entering with a tourist card may not submit an application for residency. These days, one cannot apply for citizenship without first being granted residency.

The regularization plan was not intended to grant immediate residency or citizenship to everyone. Haitians affected by the Supreme Court ruling excepted. Everyone else, even foreigners living in the DR prior to 2011 are expected to take further steps and apply for permanent status after acceptance in the regularization plan cleared away the legal hurdle of being in the country illegally.

Some have a year to do this, others have two years. Do nothing and plan members will be right back where they started when their regularization expires. In the meantime, plan members can come and go as they please unhindered. These individuals are not yet residents and won't become residents until they submit an application and the additional documentation that is required for this process.

Based on what was said over a long period of time here on DR1, I can see how some might be confused about the intent and implementation of the regularization plan. People tend to subconsciously slant their postings along the lines of their own thinking and beliefs. For something of this importance, getting the info from the source is the more prudent approach. Even with Google's bastardization of the translation, the original plan web pages were pretty clear. No one should have stood in line to apply for the plan with the expectation that when they reached the front of that line, all of their immigration issues would be completely resolved.

The plan for most foreigners simply makes it possible to submit an application to Migracion within a certain period of time if that is what one wishes to do.

No CDN_gringo,
i'm not going by what was said on dr1. Im going by the words of the DR ambassador to the US that took a public OP-Ed in a major news paper trying to reverse the bad press DR was getting in the beginning. The Foreign minister talk the same way.

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
Cdn_gringo

How do you read in interpret what the DR ambassador said in his article. He represents the DR government.
just those 2 paragraphs

"The story of the individuals who receive a regular status and are on a path to citizenship is inspiring. They can now hold jobs, qualify for a full array of social services and be fully recognized by our legal system. When people receive documentation, they receive more than a piece of paper. They receive a passport to a new life.

To place our program into context with the U.S., consider that as a country with a population of about 10 million people, the Dominican Republic will carry out a program that is nearly equivalent to the U.S. providing legal status to the estimated 11 million undocumented persons residing in its territory. "

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
who's fault would that be?

The fault will be with each and every person who is unable to qualify under what were the already existing laws of the DR. Those same rules under which I qualified for and became a resident in the DR.

who's setting up the rules?
The rules are set up by the DR government. They gave people a time table to meet the already existing laws for residency and citizenship. There is nothing unfair about those rules.

even you as an observer already know that the vast majority of haitians would not qualify for residency as the currents rules are set-up.
can you call that dealing in good faith on the part of the DR government?

The DR government did what they were willing to do under the circumstances. The DR government's first job is to protect its own territory. Anyone can read about what they have done and come to their own conclusions as I have.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Cdn_gringo

How do you read in interpret what the DR ambassador said in his article. "

It is really simple, I explained it in my previous reply and you and I assume others missed it again.

"Regularization" does not equal Residency or Citizenship.

"Regularization" is the change of an individual's immigration status from "illegal" to "legal" so that they are eligible to apply for permanent immigration status from within the DR. Normally, one cannot apply for residency without first submitting an application in your home country. Plan members do not need to go home first. Also, those with an "illegal/illegitimate" status may not apply for residency under any circumstances. The Regularization program grants everyone accepted and approved into the plan a legal status which then allows them to make a further application if they choose to do so.

I don't know where the idea that the Regularization plan confers any sort of permanent immigration status (some long time resident Haitians excepted) comes from, but it is certainly not what the Govt. said or meant when they created the plan.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In retrospect I can perhaps see how some who did not take the time to analyze what they have read with respect to the Regularization Plan statements issued by functionaries primarily for a NA audience might be able to jump to the conclusion that the RP was a definitive and final solution for one's irregular status within the DR. While not saying that specifically, some statements, don't exactly deny it in a clear and unequivocal manner either. What do you expect from politicos with an agenda?

Anyone who entered the program, or took the time to research the nitty gritty of the program, which I assume anyone who was contemplating applying, would have done, should have walked away knowing full well, that this was nothing but a first step; Giving irregulars the opportunity and additional time to fulfill their obligations under the law. Again, only if they choose to pursue the subsequent steps. Otherwise, they benefit from more time in the DR and nothing else.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is really simple, I explained it in my previous reply and you and I assume others missed it again.

"Regularization" does not equal Residency or Citizenship.

"Regularization" is the change of an individual's immigration status from "illegal" to "legal" so that they are eligible to apply for permanent immigration status from within the DR. Normally, one cannot apply for residency without first submitting an application in your home country. Plan members do not need to go home first. Also, those with an "illegal/illegitimate" status may not apply for residency under any circumstances. The Regularization program grants everyone accepted and approved into the plan a legal status which then allows them to make a further application if they choose to do so.

I don't know where the idea that the Regularization plan confers any sort of permanent immigration status (some long time resident Haitians excepted) comes from, but it is certainly not what the Govt. said or meant when they created the plan.

There were lawyers who lied to people that they were getting residency when all they got was regularization for their money. That is where some of the bad information came from.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There were lawyers who lied to people that they were getting residency when all they got was regularization for their money. That is where some of the bad information came from.

"Don't ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained as stupidity".

I am sure that some/many crackerjack lawyers either didn't know or were not too keen to know what was going on if it meant having to turn away $$$ from prospective clients who themselves were not entirely sure what they were "buying".

No doubt some weasel lawyers outright deceived their clients. We know that here in the DR accurate information is sometimes hard to pin down. Buyer beware always. You need to verify what you have been told by someone with one or two more sources to see if the info matches up. If your financial adviser tells you that buying mortgage backed securities is a guaranteed windfall, it is up to you as the client to verify that before signing on the dotted line. If you trust your guy, maybe you'll sign anyways. If the investment ruins you, have to share a large percentage of the blame with the guy who told you it was a sure thing. Ultimately, you are responsible for your own decisions, no one else is. If you believed what the lawyer (who you just met for the first time) told you without checking that info, lesson learned, hopefully.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Cdn why can no one in the office of the regulation plan tell my frend what he needs to do next?
Why do thy tell him to just wate and do nothing. You say this plan makes it so he can apply from here in the DR correct?
Why then did the office not simple tell him to start the process in residence office. Thy definitely told him to just wate and do nothing for now.
are the people in the office trying to F him over?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Was it you or ju10 that said by having 100000 paso in a bank in the DR for 6 months would be what thy wanted to meet the financial responsibility?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
YC,

I can't speak to what anyone else says or does. Who knows just what the the people you spoke to do or do not know. If your friend wishes to become a resident, what is he waiting for? An invitation? Get the required documents together, go to SD and file the application. The process is a lengthy one, not that it needs to be, it just takes a long time from start to finish with most of it being a waiting game for someone to do their job. The sooner you start the sooner you will be done. There is no time like the present, before someone decides to hike the processing fees again.