Regularization card "Non Resident" foreigners

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
well - just think of me as a foreign journalist that one might try to explain this to.

Annie its been explained ad nauseum, but as the old saying back home goes "You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink". Or for the journalist in you "dog bites man no news, now man bites dog we can report that"

getting tired of the whole subject at this point.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
YC it sounds like you have passed the 45 day deadline by submitting all that was asked.....beyond August 5th and potentially 2 years. Good news for you.

Nice move to get your bank onside about saying you were here all the time....hope they don't check your passport stamps or SDO don't ring you especially when you go yachting.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Annie its been explained ad nauseum, but as the old saying back home goes "You can lead the horse to water but you can't make him drink". Or for the journalist in you "dog bites man no news, now man bites dog we can report that"

lots of idiot savants around,

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Yes we will see what happens thy can see my passport easy I hope I can slide by. I gave them the phone number for a friend someone will ancer
the phone for me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So my Haitian friend finally "completed" the process of Regularizacion at Puerto Plata. And what did he get for all his multiple trips to the office to line up in the middle of the night, thousands of pesos paid to lawyers, countless hours waiting to be seen? A piece of paper, with a form that I could have produced on my computer in five minutes, filled in by hand. I would scan it and reproduce it here, but I don't want any repercussions for him. It says:
Provincia: Puerto Plata
Revisado Por: (Illegible name)
Expediente No. (Barely legible number)
Tipo de Documento de Identidad Presentado: Pasaporte
Name: (Friend's name written)
Telefono: 82P-5?4-556P (The question mark is where the official wrote the number incorrectly and when my friend corrected her she wrote the correct number over the top of the incorrect one, making an illegible scribble. The Ps are what the official wrote instead of 9s)
Then follows ticked boxes showing that the applicant produced the required documents
At the bottom is scribbled (illegible word) 6/7/2015 and a word in a circle which might say "cumpleado"
No official stamp or anything like that.

When he asked what would happen next, my friend was told that the "people in Santo Domingo" would call him, but I will be very surprised if they do so, given the barely legible phone number. After starting the process about a year ago, I will be amazed if his status is ever "Regularized".

Gee think about how much easier it would be to have a passport and get a work visa, you know, the legal way.

You're just getting tired of it now?! OMG this subject is so annoying and I am glad I didn't have to do it this way bc I don't think anyone knows WTF is going on! MAJOR CLUSTERF*CK!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What is the financial cost to go from a "regularization" card to a permanent (yet renewable so not really permanent in the true sense) residency card? Is it the same price as anyone starting from a different country and must they have the same other requirements?

It's the same process as a person that entered the DR on a immigrant visa. Only due to the AMNESTY the person that received the NON-RESIDENT card will not need to immediately leave the DR and apply for an immigrant visa to start the residency process. It's a pass card.

Same requirements!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
PICHARDO, If that is true, then I am a bit upset that "roots and investments" and "being long term" got them permanent residency, they got it for free while myself, with businesses, employing people, parent of DR child, and being long term as well (10+) I had to do my visa, pay the lawyer, residency, and keep paying the yearly residency renewal and cedula renewals along that, with $$$ and I am still on the yellow card, while they got the blue card for free.

That's why most nations avoid providing AMNESTIES to their illegal populations. It's unfair to those that did the right thing and took their time and followed the rules. But as you can see, it was long overdue to FIX the neverending problem.

I promise you this was a one time AMNESTY for the DR. This will never happen again!

On behalf of the DR I present my most sincere apologies for this event to you and your family. Rest assured that this was for a greater good and a final solution to a historic problem. We will also address the residency renewal process in the coming months.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
rubio_h,

Almost everyday I hear of someone somewhere who has benefited by an amnesty of some kind. At home, we often have gun amnesties that allow those in possession of firearms illegally to turn them in without penalty. Illegal immigrants are sometimes given the chance to come into the fold, people who owe back taxes are given the opportunity to make good without penalty etc. Amnesties can be annoying to those of us who don't put ourselves in those positions, but ultimately understandable in achieving the desired result and eliminating the disparity between those who have and those who haven't.

Anyone living in the DR prior to 2011 was offered just such an opportunity by the Dr Govt. For those who qualified and choose to take some action, they got a benefit that the rest of us who chose to follow the correct path from the outset didn't receive. Some of the Haitians are a special case and many more are not quite so special. I would think that one's concern about an unfair advantage should also apply to those foreigners who to this day chose not to avail themselves of the regularization program and have plans to continue living here and not legalize their status by any means.

Be they Haitians, or Gringos (generic term), those who choose to live in this country without permission to do so are the ones who are truly taking advantage of the system and are the ones who may be deserving of your previously stated feelings of unfairness. You and I and many others, paid our money, ran around gathering documents, travelled to SD numerous times to achieve our desired goal. Others do nothing, despite the amnesty, despite the illegality, all the time justifying their inaction and contempt for the law by whatever rational works for them.

The cane workers and their descendants seem to me to be entitled to some sort of redress from the DR. We have to be rather forgiving in order to address the status of these people. Gringos here since before 2011 could also ask the Govt for redress.

However, those foreigners who chose not to apply for regularization and those who arrived here after 2011 and then never went home are an entirely different kettle of fish. I'm not talking about real tourists or extended stay snowbirds, who behave as most tourists do. I refer to those who have setup permanent shop in the DR, who have no principle residence in their own country. These are the people who are taking advantage and by the very fact that they have been allowed to do this, diminish the value of the residency card that is in your pocket.

IMHO.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It's the same process as a person that entered the DR on a immigrant visa. Only due to the AMNESTY the person that received the NON-RESIDENT card will not need to immediately leave the DR and apply for an immigrant visa to start the residency process. It's a pass card.

Same requirements!

so then at the end of this "non resident card" or whatever it is to be called, which, my understanding is to be valid for two years, will the holders then have to fulfill the requirements for an immigrant visa

as outlined here http://dr1.com/forums/real-estate/151703-buying-apartment-3.html#post1593147

(I know how absurb this is - that I am asking someone named Picardo, who lives in Florida for the "official" word - but you do keep portraying yourself as some sort of government official)

harry2010

Apr 27, 2010
how do you transition from that non resident card to a permanent card or citizenship?
are the rules set already?

Feb 7, 2007
I guess you have to prove ties, solvency, identity and clean standing. Same as when applying for residency.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I guess you have to prove ties, solvency, identity and clean standing. Same as when applying for residency.

the criteria now appear to be (this is also what was told to me by the lawyer at Guzman)
Own property of $225k or higher
Married to a Dominican
Have a child with a Dominican person
Own a registered business
Retired (not just income of $1500-2k/month)

so there is really little chance that any of the Haitians - maybe even the other foreigners - will be able to qualify for residency under these new requirements/

The " Amnesty "that Picardo kept talking about is evidently a two year moratorium on threat of deportation, and the ability to start the application for temporary residency from here in the DR rather than having to go back to their home country,

At least that is my understanding of what it is.

I certainly may be wrong.. would not be the first time.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
so then at the end of this "non resident card" or whatever it is to be called, which, my understanding is to be valid for two years, will the holders then have to fulfill the requirements for an immigrant visa

as outlined here http://dr1.com/forums/real-estate/151703-buying-apartment-3.html#post1593147

(I know how absurb this is - that I am asking someone named Picardo, who lives in Florida for the "official" word - but you do keep portraying yourself as some sort of government official)

So since it's absurd, wait and ask somebody who doesn't travel like me to not only the U.S. but Canada and the U.K and who's inthe DR full time!

I'm not a gov official,never portrayed myself as such. Just a Dominican who's inside the circle of things...

When I use "we" it means not the gov, but the DR as a whole. Since we Dominicans are part of the DR 100%.

Unlike a many here, I have provided identification, name, family links, proof beyond the need to establish info source and contact inside. I have given DR1 members and readers alike heads-up news of events that happen in the immediate, mid term and long future in the DR. Again, each step has been there.

Many have taken to ridicule some of it. Yet the proof is in the pudding. From new ID and security, new requirements, changes to visas, enforcement, deportations, status adjustment, border security, etc...

Some of it must wait until the primary phases are 100% implemented and rolled out in full. I told a many here long ago to take care of any legal problems back home and to expedite their legal status in the DR. I told them about the changes to ban re-entry to deportees.

About e-pesos? It's simple! We first need to end this phase of national identification and visas programme, in order to implement the new pay system. It will be linked to your next ID (Yes! There will be a new ID issued later with a chip embedded).

The registration into the new National Biometric Database will be since birth for all citizens. DNA included.

The guns? Like I said before, the DR will only allow smart guns to be owned and carried by citizens, including a NEW Police system. This will take time, because we need to finalize our new databank on that end with the assistance of the FBI and others.

I'll let you know with time so you can sell your guns and don't have the financial loss, since the gov will only provide a tax and VAT discount on the smart firearms to be replaced of existing gun permits issued.

It takes time to implement these big issues in a country like ours. More so when it takes money to do it.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Gee think about how much easier it would be to have a passport and get a work visa, you know, the legal way.

Hilarious and very clever answer I DON'T think! My friend has a passport and visa but like hundreds of other Haitians like him who have been promised AMNESTY by the likes of PICHARDO, he wants to Regularize his status here as permitted by the government and not have to keep going back and forth spending more time and money renewing visas.

The government having started and promoted the process should carry it through properly.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
how do you transition from that non resident card to a permanent card or citizenship?
are the rules set already?

You must follow the same path as any other immigrant to the DR, only that the reason for your residency requirement (read qualifying) was pre-filled by the Amnesty. The need to provide a path to obtain it was cleared by the Amnesty. The need to furnish the documentation as any other foreigner exempted the qualifying path is obligatory.

They have two years to gather and provide this data and be on the temp or permanent residency phase by then or else.

In layman's terms: The person adjusting status under the Amnesty is freed from having to qualify for it based on the immigrant visa, but not of furnishing the same documents others undergoing such residency have to furnish.