Rejection of Retiree Residency Renewal Application

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Our renewal application has been rejected because we cannot show that our monthly
Social Security payments are being deposited into a Dominican bank.
This requirement was not known to us during the months spent getting the documentation
from the US and Dominican authorities. Nor can I find this requirement in any documentation,
web page or notification.

At this point we are unsure of how to proceed. To start again (back in the US) with a 'regular'
residency request, spending another $8,000 is a non-starter. Perhaps we will be allowed
to renew as 'regular' residents, but that seems to be highly unlikely.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Are you using a lawyer? Can you not get your cheques deposited into you Dominican bank account?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I cannot see you paying 8k$ for a regular residency, nor 2.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
At what point in the renewal were you rejected? When did they ask you for that info? I've never seen that info requested on the DGM website for residency renewal(?).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
But you have proof of deposit into your home country bank - right?

If so- I think it's a misinterpretation..... a lawyer would know more and be able to negotiate

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I do not think that is a requirement and if it were almost all if not all retirees would leave. Many obligations are paid from home and who wants to rely on the pension plans to deposit in DR.
If that becomes the new requirement color a lot of people gone

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If I am not mistaken, DGM just wishes to see monthly deposits to your DR bank account in the amount required under the retiree program. I think that was $1500 for one person and an additional amount for a spouse. This amount being required to qualify for retiree residency initially as well as the ongoing minimum monthly movement of the same amount to the DR is (or at least was) clearly spelled out in the requirements for the residency program you applied under.

When you applied initially, you probably had do show that your SS cheques were being deposited regularly into your US bank account. You may have to do that again this time. Just print off 6 months statements online and submit those. If DGM is not asking for this, then they are looking for movement of funds from the US to the DR in an amount somewhere around $2000.00/month to cover your living expenses in this country and that these funds average out to the minimum amount or more in the last six months.

Shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle unless you are bringing in a lot less than the program requires. If you only transfer funds once or twice a year, just show the deposit for $24,000 or $12,000 respectively.

You do sometimes need to show that you are continuing to meet the requirements for your class of residency.

Good luck.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I do not think that is a requirement and if it were almost all if not all retirees would leave. Many obligations are paid from home and who wants to rely on the pension plans to deposit in DR.
If that becomes the new requirement color a lot of people gone

I quote from the web page:BECAUSE THE CATEGORY WITH WHICH YOU ACQUIRED YOUR RESIDENCE WAS THAT OF A PENSIONER, YOU MUST SHOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN RECEIVING SAID PENSION THROUGH A DOMINICAN BANK, THROUGH A CERTIFICATION OF THE SAME AND YOUR STATEMENTS.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
At what point in the renewal were you rejected? When did they ask you for that info? I've never seen that info requested on the DGM website for residency renewal(?).
The very last piece of information requests the amount deposited and the name of the bank.
Have you applied for retiree residency renewal? Recently?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And therefore you conclude...........?

I do not conclude anything.
If you and/or DGM decide that you do not qualify anymore for the retiree residency statue,
If you and/or your lawyer decides there is nothing that can be done to remedy to this,
If you decide you still want to stay in the dr,
If you decide you want to continue being legal in the dr,
If you decide that applying for regular residency is your best/only option,
Then I cannot think of how it could cost 8k$------- i could be wrong though, perhaps the rules have changed and they bumped the price up 800%.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The very last piece of information requests the amount deposited and the name of the bank.
Have you applied for retiree residency renewal? Recently?

No. I'm about to do my 4th renewal in April - temporary, jubilado/pensionado RT-9. I just went on the DGM website and it doesn't show that as a requirement(?):

"REQUISITOS PARA LA RENOVACIÓN DE LA RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL"

CARNET DE RESIDENCIA TEMPORAL.

CÉDULA DE IDENTIDAD PERSONAL. (EL ORIGINAL SE DEVUELVE AL EXTRANJERO DESPUÉS DE VERIFICADA)

PASAPORTE CON DIECIOCHO (18) MESES MÍNIMOS DE VIGENCIA. LA D.G.M. ES FLEXIBLE CON EL TEMA Y CONSIDERARÁ, EN CADA CASO, LA REALIDAD DE CADA PAÍS Y EL RIGOR DE SUS NORMAS EN LA EXPEDICIÓN DE LOS PASAPORTES.

CERTIFICACIÓN DE NO ANTECEDENTES PENALES DE LA REPÚBLICA DOMINICANA, EMITIDA POR LA PROCURADURÍA GENERAL DE LA REPÚBLICA.

DOS (2) FOTOGRAFÍAS DE FRENTE TAMAÑO 2 X 2 CON EL FONDO BLANCO, SIN JOYAS O ACCESORIOS Y LAS OREJAS DESCUBIERTAS.

PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA CONTRATADA CON LA COMPAÑÍA DE SEGUROS DEBIDAMENTE AUTORIZADA POR LA D.G.M. (COMERCIAL DE SEGURO, SEGURO PATRIA Y DOMINICANA SEGURO)
EN EL CASO DE LA RENOVACIÓN DE UN MENOR DE 18 AÑOS DE EDAD, LOS PADRES DEBERÁN OBTENER LA PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA, EMITIDA A SU NOMBRE.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The requirements for the Temporary, Permanent, Retiree and Investor programs are slightly different. I don't have to do a medical as an investor. Small saving grace but I have to renew more frequently than others.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you decide that applying for regular residency is your best/only option,
Then I cannot think of how it could cost 8k$------- i could be wrong though, perhaps the rules have changed and they bumped the price up 800%.

I agree. I don't see any way it could cost $8K - not even half of that.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I quote from the web page:BECAUSE THE CATEGORY WITH WHICH YOU ACQUIRED YOUR RESIDENCE WAS THAT OF A PENSIONER, YOU MUST SHOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN RECEIVING SAID PENSION THROUGH A DOMINICAN BANK, THROUGH A CERTIFICATION OF THE SAME AND YOUR STATEMENTS.

Can you post a link to the page where you find this? The page is in English? The thing is that, in the past, this was not a requirement. If it is now, it is a substantial change. You might want to post this in Legal to get a read from the Guzman Ariza attorney who responds there.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Can you post a link to the page where you find this? The page is in English? The thing is that, in the past, this was not a requirement. If it is now, it is a substantial change. You might want to post this in Legal to get a read from the Guzman Ariza attorney who responds there.
I am using Windows & Chrome, which allows me to translate pages into English.
A 'substantial change' indeed!! The office in PP said, basically, that we are screwed.
Here is the original page that requests the info on the 'pension'.
It is the last two parameters requested on the last page of the form:
MIEMBROS DEL GRUPO FAMILIAR
PARENTESCO
APELLIDO (S)

NOMBRE (S)

FECHA DE NACIMIENTO
NACIONALIDAD
ESTADO DE RESIDENTES ADJUNTA A LA SOLICITUD RESIDENTE EN PROCESO N/A

AGREGAR
ELIMINAR
PARENTESCO APELLIDO(S) NOMBRE(S) FECHA DE NACIMIENTO NACIONALIDAD NO. CARNET / TIPO NO. SOLICIUTD / PASAPORTE FECHA DE SOLICITUD ESTADO
DE LA INVERSION
ESTIMADO DE DIVISAS INGRESADAS EL PAIS POR AÑO US$
RD$
ANTERIOR SIGUIENTE

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I agree. I don't see any way it could cost $8K - not even half of that.
Below is the SS tracking the costs of the initial application.
Margaret Robert
Document Description Source Copy Notarize Apostille Translate Apostille Copy Notarize Apostille Translate Apostille Total Cost
Visa Form RD Consulate 150 1,037 150 1,337
Passport Pictures CVS 15 15 30
Medical Certificate Dr Daub 25 25 50
Certificate of Good Conduct WNY Police 10 10 20
Certificate of Good Conduct FBI 120 MIREX 120 240
Certificate of Good Conduct FBI 125 125 250
Birth Certificate NJ 25 40 MIREX 25 40 130
Marriage Certificate NJ 25 40 MIREX 65
Repatriation Insurance 115 115 230
Bank Acccount 20 20
Migration Exam, etc 895 895 1,790
EDC Cedulas 62 62 124
Additional Translations 325 325
Total Document Costs 4,611
Gas NJ 100 100
Tolls NJ 38 38
Flight Reservation United 372 372
NYC Bus 48 48 96
Santo Domingo Buses&Taxies 80 80
Total Travel Costs 686
Aramis Legal Work 250 250 500
Aramis Legal Work 650 650 1,300
Yordeny Legal Work 200 200 400
Total Legal Cost 2,200
Total Cost Of Residency 7,497

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I am using Windows & Chrome, which allows me to translate pages into English.
A 'substantial change' indeed!! The office in PP said, basically, that we are screwed.
Here is the original page that requests the info on the 'pension'.
It is the last two parameters requested on the last page of the form:
MIEMBROS DEL GRUPO FAMILIAR
PARENTESCO
APELLIDO (S)

NOMBRE (S)

FECHA DE NACIMIENTO
NACIONALIDAD
ESTADO DE RESIDENTES ADJUNTA A LA SOLICITUD RESIDENTE EN PROCESO N/A

AGREGAR
ELIMINAR
PARENTESCO APELLIDO(S) NOMBRE(S) FECHA DE NACIMIENTO NACIONALIDAD NO. CARNET / TIPO NO. SOLICIUTD / PASAPORTE FECHA DE SOLICITUD ESTADO
DE LA INVERSION
ESTIMADO DE DIVISAS INGRESADAS EL PAIS POR AÑO US$
RD$
ANTERIOR SIGUIENTE

All that seems to ask for is an estimate of the amount of money brought in the DR per year(?).

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Very interesting indeed!
As previously posted I am going through the process of obtaining a Residency here in DR.
I made it very clear that I wanted a Permanent Residency due to my Pension being substantially greater than the minimum requirement.
However I have been relegated to accept a temporary Residency by order of the DMG.
Now there is a silver lining in that cloud ; if DMG can guarantee that I shall be alive and breathing in another year to reapply; then I am quite prepared to do so.
In the past I transferred funds from the Canadian Bank to the Bank Reservas which my family uses here in Luperon.
By the time the funds reached our local bank we had lost $750.00 CDN through Banking fees and exchange.
They stated that the CDN funds had to be converted first to USD then to Pesos... All strictly Bull Ship!

I shall never have funds forwarded to our local Bank again.
My pensions are going to stay in Canada and we draw from there .
We use the VISA for food and Hotel etc. and simply transfer payments electronically from our CDN Bank.
Other than we use the ATM's at several safe places.
The funds are spent here; so that has to be compliant.
I am old (77), stubborn, cynical, bull headed and several more excellent attributes ; There are other countries that are willing to accept our Pensions and family.....
Not really an issue.
It is called,where I am from, "shooting one self in the foot!"

AH, I do so feel better!!!
Russell

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Much of your reasoning is what resulted in me abandoning my BanReservas accounts. I was being gouged by fees; Compelled to write a cheque to withdraw funds from the checking account for a fee. Fees for more than X number of transactions per month, fees if not enough money in the account one day per month. Monthly account maintenance fee etc.

Most annoying, BanReserva wouldn't accept my Canadian bank cheques. Had to open a US bank account. Transfer from Canada to the US bank, pay the conversion fees to USD. Then, write a cheque on the US bank account for deposit in the DR. Wait 30 days for the funds from that cheque to be unfrozen for me to withdraw - even though the funds most times had been taken out of my US bank account before I could leave the bank and return home.

Almost nothing that bank did met my needs or expectations. Many times I needed to stand in line for 45 minutes or longer because only two or three tellers were servicing 50+ people in line. I get it, employees deserve their break time. There is nothing more infuriating than watching the teller pack up their drawer and disappear for lunch or a break and no one comes out to replace them with a line of waiting customers almost winding it's way out the front door of the bank. I have never seen all of the available teller positions being staffed at the same time in my branch.