Rejection of 'Retiree' Residency Renewal Application

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
At the suggestion of OP franco1111, I am reposting this residency renewal problem on the legal forum
in the hopes of getting some clarification of the 'catch-22' in which my wife and I have been ensnared.

Our renewal application has been rejected because we cannot show that our monthly
Social Security payments are being deposited into a Dominican bank.
This requirement was not known to us during the months spent getting the documentation
from the US and Dominican authorities. Nor can I find this requirement in any documentation,
web page or notification associated with the renewal application. Nevertheless, the migration office in
PP says that the application cannot be approved, and that I must petition the government to change our
status from 'retiree' to 'normal'. Can anything be done to salvage our efforts to maintain
our current residency status?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I believe I may have mentioned this in the other thread. It seems that all it takes to satisfy DGM is documentation showing that you are moving a prescribed amount of money to the DR on a regular basis.

The money you are living on must be coming from somewhere and there is certainly some documentation that details these transfers. I haven't had a bank account here for 4 years. When I renew, I submit 6 months of foreign bank statements that show my movement of cash to the DR. Thus far, no issues doing it this way for me.

If you cannot show that you are complying with the program requirements that pertain to your class of Residency, then that may be a significant obstacle. Otherwise a good lawyer with supporting documentation should be able to use their contacts at DGM to demonstrate you have sufficient funds arriving to satisfy the decision maker(s).

Good luck.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Buzzard, hire an immigration lawyer. I can refer you to an excellent, honest one many DR1ers have used, but she speaks no English.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I believe I may have mentioned this in the other thread. It seems that all it takes to satisfy DGM is documentation showing that you are moving a prescribed amount of money to the DR on a regular basis.

The money you are living on must be coming from somewhere and there is certainly some documentation that details these transfers. I haven't had a bank account here for 4 years. When I renew, I submit 6 months of foreign bank statements that show my movement of cash to the DR. Thus far, no issues doing it this way for me.

If you cannot show that you are complying with the program requirements that pertain to your class of Residency, then that may be a significant obstacle. Otherwise a good lawyer with supporting documentation should be able to use their contacts at DGM to demonstrate you have sufficient funds arriving to satisfy the decision maker(s).

Good luck.
Example: Every check I write for living and business expenses in the DR is written to a cambio who uses Banco Santa Cruz. I write no checks for anything else.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
At the suggestion of OP franco1111, I am reposting this residency renewal problem on the legal forum
in the hopes of getting some clarification of the 'catch-22' in which my wife and I have been ensnared.

Our renewal application has been rejected because we cannot show that our monthly
Social Security payments are being deposited into a Dominican bank.
This requirement was not known to us during the months spent getting the documentation
from the US and Dominican authorities. Nor can I find this requirement in any documentation,
web page or notification associated with the renewal application. Nevertheless, the migration office in
PP says that the application cannot be approved, and that I must petition the government to change our
status from 'retiree' to 'normal'. Can anything be done to salvage our efforts to maintain
our current residency status?

Buzzard, do you have bills demonstrating expenses in the DR or a Dominican bank account?

This requirements are on the web page of the DGM, under the renovation of the residency of a retiree. Specifically, numbers 9 and 10.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Buzzard, out of curiosity, why are you set on retiree residency? Why not regular?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He already has qualified - this is his renewal
Hence the frustration.....

He qualified once and now he doesn't......

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Buzzard, out of curiosity, why are you set on retiree residency? Why not regular?

Our intention has always been to retire here. Ever since our first one-week visit in 1988.
We have owned a apartment from 1988 to 2001, and a house ever since.
We're in the process of selling our condo in NJ and in the meantime spend about seven months a year here,
going back in the summer for a few months and for Xmas.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Buzzard, do you have bills demonstrating expenses in the DR or a Dominican bank account?

This requirements are on the web page of the DGM, under the renovation of the residency of a retiree. Specifically, numbers 9 and 10.

I sure wish I could find that web page. Can you assist?

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Example: Every check I write for living and business expenses in the DR is written to a cambio who uses Banco Santa Cruz. I write no checks for anything else.

Claro, EdeNorte, LaSerana, Jose Luis, Gasoline, Auto Insurance, etc.,etc. are always paid via a Chase CC.
Peso purchases are accomplished by cashing checks made out to Banco Santa Cruz.
(about $10,000 last year.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Claro, EdeNorte, LaSerana, Jose Luis, Gasoline, Auto Insurance, etc.,etc. are always paid via a Chase CC.
Peso purchases are accomplished by cashing checks made out to Banco Santa Cruz.
(about $10,000 last year.)
I have one US checking account where 100% of my living expenses are checks written to Banco Santa Cruz or local debit purchases.

It might as well be a DR account, but without the insanity, hassles and costs.

I don't have one account where all income lands. I have different accounts for different income streams.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

On the government page under renovacion the list stops at 9.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

That's very confusing since at the top of the page is says it's for "Inversionistas". Item #4 also asks for your "carnet de inversion". Also, under "Description", it says it's for a renewal for 4 years. That would be a "permanent residency". The OP doesn't state if this is a temporary or permanent renewal.

The second link you posted also says it's for "Inversionistas" and appears to be an inicial application(?).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That's very confusing since at the top of the page is says it's for "Inversionistas". Item #4 also asks for your "carnet de inversion". Also, under "Description", it says it's for a renewal for 4 years. That would be a "permanent residency". The OP doesn't state if this is a temporary or permanent renewal.

The second link you posted also says it's for "Inversionistas" and appears to be an inicial application(?).

It is confusing and that's why I posted RESIDENCIA POR INVERSIÓN EN CALIDAD DE JUBILADO O PENSIONADO Sublist42 as well as it has the list of ten required Cynthia mentioned.

Either way: DOCUMENTS THAT GUARANTEE HAVING RECEIVED AND CONSUMED YOUR INCOME IN THE NATIONAL TERRITORY, FOR THE SAME PERIOD OF TIME THAT THE PREVIOUS RESIDENCE WAS DELIVERED, FOR WHOSE PURPOSES THE INTERESTED PARTY MUST PROVIDE IN THE SPIRIT OF FREEDOM OF PROOF, WHOSE ADMISSION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO EVALUATE THE DOMINICAN IMMIGRATION AUTHORITY, ANY DOCUMENT TENDING TO PROVE IT, SUCH AS: COPIES OF STATES CREDIT CARDS, HOUSING RENTAL CONTRACT, PAYMENT SUCH AS EDUCATIONAL SERVICES OF DEPENDENT CHILDREN, WATER, ELECTRICITY, TELEPHONE AND ANY OTHER TYPE OF PROOF THAT DEMONSTRATE THE INVESTMENT OF THE INCOME OF THE INTERESTED PARTY IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That still doesn't say clearly just which residencies it applies to. This was being said last year, too, when I renewed my Temporary Residency, Jubilado/Pensionado. No financial documents of any kind were being required to be uploaded with the online application. I brought copies of my DR bank statements with me to DGM just in case, but they were not requested.

A friend just completed the online application for renewal of temporary, jubliado/pensionado. No financial info was requested and his application was approved. Hard to believe you be approved if this info is required for temporary, jubilado/pensionado renewal. The OP said his application was rejected at this point.

I'll be doing to same shortly. We'll see what happens.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That still doesn't say clearly just which residencies it applies to. This was being said last year, too, when I renewed my Temporary Residency, Jubilado/Pensionado. No financial documents of any kind were being required to be uploaded with the online application. I brought copies of my DR bank statements with me to DGM just in case, but they were not requested.

A friend just completed the online application for renewal of temporary, jubliado/pensionado. No financial info was requested and his application was approved. Hard to believe you be approved if this info is required for temporary, jubilado/pensionado renewal. The OP said his application was rejected at this point.

The difference, i THINK, is your is a temporary residency and his is a permanent. I am so happy that I went from Temporary to Citizen. No more of these hastles.

1greasy

Jun 21, 2012
I just renewed my Pensionado residency last September. Its only for 2 years, not 4 like the website states. I asked about this at the Office of Foreign Investments at DGM and was told it was a mistake on their website. The cards says Investment Residency, no mention of Pensionado anywhere on it. They required 6 months of proof from my dominican bank, of pension funds of US$ 1,500 for me and US$ 500 for my wife, for a total of US$ 2,000 deposited into the account monthly. Along with proof that I am spending money in the DR for the same period of time: electric bills, etc.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019

The residency of jubilado/pensionado or retiree is a subcategory of a Permanent Residency. If bank statements, income proof, or bills of Dominican companies weren't requested, then his residency is Temporary. You can confirm by checking if your residency card states 'Residente Temporal' or 'Residencia por Inversión', the later encompassing Retiree, Rentista, and Investors. All of them have different requirements for the renovation.