Reliable Generator Dealer?

sosua10

Jan 17, 2010
I'm looking for a reliable generator dealer. 3 pumps (pool, well, water), 7 ac splits, 1 fridge... I figure 15-20kw? We're located in Sosua. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. - Danny W

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
Hello Danny, since I don't know what your experience has been with generators in the past I'll not assume anything and try to offer advice without any judgment. I don't have to tell you the situation with the grid on the island because you experience it on a daily basis. From what you have listed off it's obvious you have a robust electrical service something of which I have not experienced while on the island, that being said, I'm sure you realize that you are talking about a stationary generator and all of the equipment that is a major part of a back up generator for instance: transfer switches, fuel tanks (either propane or diesel as natural gas is not an option) and monitoring equipment that usually comes in to play with a system this big. Are your power outages that significant and Long last thing that you would need for all of your equipment to operate at once? Would you need to operate all seven AC units at once? and finally could you use a smaller generator taking into consideration the price of fuel on the island as you would need a considerable amount to continue to run the equipment you mentioned. Quite a task.

A good starting point is to look at your utility bills and figure out what your highest consumption is for a particular period. Most electrical calculations are done with a curve in mind, meaning that utilities know that it is rare that all equipment will be running at once be it a household, apartment complex or a commercial corridor.So you may be overstating your needs. A generator the size that you are looking for requires a huge fuel tank. Something to consider.

If however this is something you already know and I am just offering blah blah, then where I would first start is visiting your local Ochoa hardware store or should I say mega store? I have seen some major equipment at Ochoa and quite impressed with what they have offer, if your Spanish is good strike up a conversation with one of the reps there and see who may be the go to guy in generator installs. Of course you wanna go to more than one just to make sure he or she isn't getting a kickback. I wish you luck in your search and I hope that you'll keep us posted.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I'm looking for a reliable generator dealer. 3 pumps (pool, well, water), 7 ac splits, 1 fridge... I figure 15-20kw? We're located in Sosua. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. - Danny W
In Sosua, almost oppisite the entrance to La Mulata is an electric company(Relectric) who deals in used generators. Stop in and see Juan or his son Juan Carlos. Both speak english.

sosua10

Jan 17, 2010
I bought a new Kohler 20kw propane generator from Relectric. They are installing it now. They are very professional, and I can't say enough about Juan Carlos. He's a remarkable person. If go there, please tell him how much I appreciated his good work. - D

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I'm looking for a reliable generator dealer. 3 pumps (pool, well, water), 7 ac splits, 1 fridge... I figure 15-20kw? We're located in Sosua. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. - Danny Wto run a generator healty you need twice the capacity of you max. consume.
To run a Generator the "Healthy way", you need twice the capacity of your max. consumption. I do not recomend any used Generator ! People got rid of them for a reason. I do agree with prior posts; by locally so service want cost you a fortune.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

sosua10

Jan 17, 2010
Remember they should cycle once a week to keep the battery charged and oil and fuel lines functional
Remember they should cycle once a week to keep the battery charged and oil and fuel lines functional
It doesn't matter to how much propane it uses. Power is usually out for an hour or less, and when it's a long blackout and we have no water and the food is spoiling,I'm happy to pay whatever.

As for keeping it running properly, I'll follow the instruction that Juan Carlos gives me. And Relectric is less than a mile away. I'm almost 80 yrs. and have been here part time for 20 years (some old timers might remember me as Danny W. I just want things to go as smoothly as possible.

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
Excellent choice and decision.I can tell you from years in the field on the residential side Kohler as well as Onan are great reliable, quieter,rocksteady gennies.Clean power and surefire startups are quite common while many folks prefer Generac I've seen and heard not so great things on the residential side, there's a reason why parts are so readily available.On the commercial and industrial side however, top notch.From what I've read your choice of generators as well as your install folks, you should be good for many years and blackouts to come.Best of luck with it.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
It doesn't matter to how much propane it uses. Power is usually out for an hour or less, and when it's a long blackout and we have no water and the food is spoiling,I'm happy to pay whatever.

As for keeping it running properly, I'll follow the instruction that Juan Carlos gives me. And Relectric is less than a mile away. I'm almost 80 yrs. and have been here part time for 20 years (some old timers might remember me as Danny W. I just want things to go as smoothly as possible.
Glad things worked out for you. Juan Carlos is amazing, he was educated at the International School, in Ls Mulata. Juan Sr. sure got his money's worth.