Relocating the family to Sto Dgo, dream or nightmare?

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Does it have to be SD? There are other, less stressful, parts of the country with better quality of life and good schools, including La Romana (Abraham Lincoln School) and Punta Cana (PC International School, Cap Cana Heritage, Bavaro Bilingual).

With the new highway the capital is only one hour from LR and less than 2 hours from PC.

I had considered Punta Cana (CCHS), but it is more realistic to consider Sto Dgo in terms of opportunities for my wife and extracurriculars for our son. I haven't considered Santiago as I'm not familiar with it.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Funny, I am also a licensed real estate agent in NYS. That is my second area of interest--- real estate. How long have you lived in DR? If I may ask, what made you decide to do it? I guess I'd love to know why others have made the move and if they would do it again.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
These are good sites with most of the ads are from agents. I live in zona universitaria... definitely above average and I think the average 3 bedrooms rents unfurnished in better neighborhoods you mentioned are $500-1000. What i dont like is most of these rentals come with a 1 month rental fee to the agent. I realize these agents have to earn a living but this aint Manhattan. Try to get one without the middleman.

If you can get a job with Carol Morgan, they provide housing. As for the prices.. I think that it will be hard to find a three bedroom furnished for under 20,000 pesos. When you see the dollar rental prices, the landlords are looking for folks who work for international companies. So they ask for and get the highest rents. While there is supposed to be rent control here, and the tenants are supposed to have the advantage, the reality is that the landlords really do. They are going to look for what the maket will bear, and a 10% per year increase... And will do no work.. nada.. zilch.. for the builk of them.

If you are really "making the move"// then you can stay in a furnished for one year, say, and then get into a unfurnished place which is likely to give you a longer term lease on better terms.

Here are the laws that govern your wife's pracitce of pyschology Codigos y Leyes

If she speaks Portugese because she is born, say, in Brazil, and is a naturalized American, then she will have to go through the residency process probably before she is completely legal. (assuming she does not want to give up either of the other passports) ((I have a friend in this situation which is how I know)

If she only has a US passport, then she can become a Dominican citizen by an easy process because of her marriage to you.

But since she has three languages, she would most likely be a useful addition to any practice. Contact the Colegio and network.

Think about a two bedroom apartment for starters.. they are much easier to find.

There is one soon to be available in my building in Gazcue for $500 .. we think.,, good landlady, good location, only rattan furniture..

However everything in SD is determined by the tRAFFIC and how long it will take you to get to where you are going. So get the job first.. then look for apartments.

Other schools are St Georges, St Michaels.. And the Universities..

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Yes, I'm aware that CMS does provide foreign hires housing. Is that out of their own pool of apts or will they also consider subsidizing an appt of one's choosing? What, if you know, is the salary scale at these bilingual schools?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Yes, I'm aware that CMS does provide foreign hires housing. Is that out of their own pool of apts or will they also consider subsidizing an appt of one's choosing? What, if you know, is the salary scale at these bilingual schools?

A friend of mine daughter is teaching English in Spain and she found a 100% of her info on Facebook. She was able to talk directly with other teachers in the school.

Do you teach in NY now??? If you do talk with you students they are the BEST at finding any info on the net and the younger crowd are experts on anything Facebook.

I do not know if CMS is on Facebook but I am pretty sure they are because everybody is on Facebook.

Find a teacher from the school you want to teach at and go from there.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hello Matematico, my advice to you is that if you have enough money to pay for rent for a 3 bedrooms fully furnished condo in a good area such as Naco and also to live on it to do it. Send me a Private Message and I will send you the contact information of Carol Morgan school Principal, so that way you can contact him and see if there is any job opening for you there. The principal at Carol Morgan is from the USA and a very nice guy. Saint George school is also good in which I also have friend from the UK that teaches history there.

Jul 28, 2008
I'm considering relocating from NYC with my wife (American, psychotherapist, recent mom) and young son to Sto Dgo. I am an experienced mathematics teacher hoping to teach at a bilingual school in DR. Professional opportunities for me and my wife? Pros and cons of the move? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Matem?tico, I am also considering such a move at some time in the future. I think that living there for a little while before deciding to take the plunge is sound advice. I also recently acquired a book:"Moving to and Living in the Dominican Republic" by Ginnie Bedggood and Ilana Benady, that is a wealth of information on how to navigate certain necessities when moving to the DR. Although the info may be a little dated (published in 2011), I found it to be most enlightening. Good luck!

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Clearly the salary scales are kept under tight security. I'd be happy with a range so as to formulate an approximate budget.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

Sent you a PM.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I would encourage you to investigate Santiago. It is a much more livable and accommodating town. Much more family friendly.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Most of the hiring for the private US accredited schools for the next school year is already finished at this point since the majority of the job fairs are Dec - Feb. Here is a link to a good organization to use if you are interested in getting hired on as a "foreign hire":

https://www.iss.edu/

If you do get a job at CMS or one of the other schools then you don't have to worry so much about start up costs. Some of the apartments they have for staff do have a pool (or at least the apartment we lived in did) but most don't. It has been a while but if you were interested in changing apartments they would tell you budget and you could have a new rental agreement but apartments are based on seniority so as a first year you won't necessarily get the best apartment.

It is also much easier to tutor for a good rate if you are a CMS teacher. Even back in the day when I lived there, 8 years ago now, I charged 20 USD an hour.

Good luck.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks for the info. I have heard of a math tutor in SD charging $40-50/ session. I'd also love to retake teaching at the college level, at least part time. Are there any universities with classes in English? Yes, years ago I looked into ISS. I understand CMS hires during December- March at the job fairs in the states. Did you teach at CMS? If so, how was your stint there?

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
good luck

wish u the best here and luck finding a descent job.. my wife teaches social study in a jr high salary 7,000.00 dp a month..
I'm considering relocating from NYC with my wife (American, psychotherapist, recent mom) and young son to Sto Dgo. I am an experienced mathematics teacher hoping to teach at a bilingual school in DR. Professional opportunities for me and my wife? Pros and cons of the move? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Wow, may god bless her soul. Unfortunately, all the amazing and extremely important work she does with her students is not rewarded as it should.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Estimate what you think you will need to spend each month, and then "Double IT"!!!!!!!!
Those who say you can find a furnished 3 bedroom apt', here in SD for $500 US dollars are RIGHT!
You just wouldn't want, or be safe, living there.
If you estimate $1,000 US a month, in a good area, you will be much closer to the mark.
Furnished Apts. are much harder to find, and much more expensive.
Dominicans know that their furniture in a rental unit will not be well taken care of, and charge accordingly.
Many will rent ONLY to foreigners for that reason.
"Deposits" are usually 2 or 3 months rent.
Most rentals require a "Fiador", which is like a "Co Signer".
A very solvent Dominican citizen that will be held legally responsible to pay the rent if you don't.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
I see. Yes, my initial, guesstimate, was about $1000 for the apt. The reason for choosing a furnished apt is the assumed difficulties of shipping all our stuff from NYC. If we remain in the DR for 2 years, does it make sense to have our belongings shipped? Which neighborhoods would you say are reasonably priced, safe, convenient, and friendly? What do you and yours do for leisure? Costs?