Relocating the family to Sto Dgo, dream or nightmare?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We stayed at the school for 9 years so it is safe to say that we enjoyed teaching there very much. The students and their families are lovely and very gracious. We just felt the need to see some other parts of the world after a while.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Estimate what you think you will need to spend each month, and then "Double IT"!!!!!!!!
Those who say you can find a furnished 3 bedroom apt', here in SD for $500 US dollars are RIGHT!
You just wouldn't want, or be safe, living there.
If you estimate $1,000 US a month, in a good area, you will be much closer to the mark.
Furnished Apts. are much harder to find, and much more expensive.
Dominicans know that their furniture in a rental unit will not be well taken care of, and charge accordingly.
Many will rent ONLY to foreigners for that reason.
"Deposits" are usually 2 or 3 months rent.
Most rentals require a "Fiador", which is like a "Co Signer".
A very solvent Dominican citizen that will be held legally responsible to pay the rent if you don't.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That makes more interesting! That means the country is kind of hard for any new person, especially if you have a wife and children! Someone has to think twice before taking the PLUNGE. Also, it looks like the Dominican law is not on the side of foreigners!
Good luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
jkc, everyone needs a "Fiador" Not just "Gringos/foreigners.

"Mathman", in the DR, people often/usually live in extended family group homes.
Those who are working contribute to all household expenses.
The "Young Folks" support the "Old Folks", at least THAT's how it is supposed to work.
If one member is unemployed he/she doesn't pay, those that are employed make up the difference.
"Job Turnover" is high.
No one makes it on their own.
Said the guy with 9 people in his house, with ONLY his income!
Depends on where you will be working, wher you should be living.
Traffic is Horrible, and then just wait till it rains!!!
Something "Happens" to all Dominicans when it rains, driving,walking, or just standing still!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The most popular form of "Headgear" becomes old super market grocery bags!
And they work for "Feet" too!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Please forgive my ignorance, but how does a family make it on RD$7,000-10,0000/ month?

don't you have family/friends in DR? i thought as a dominican you would know...

in any case, people live on much less than this. a household of few generations may have a few earners and the income is pooled. the bills are not an issue as many live in the areas with subsidized power and water. there are also government plans like tarjeta de solidaridad that enables purchases up to a certain amount a month. some will have one meal a day, others way have 2 or 3 meals but generally the food will be super simple: moro, locrio, viveros, salami, eggs.

a look in supercasas tell me that a decent 3 bedroom apartment in a decent area is about a 1k dollars a month. add bills, food and other costs and you will be looking at 2k dollars minimum to live okish for a family of 3 with both parents working. and this does not allow any luxuries, holidays not any contingency in case you fall down your face.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
I don't have many close relatives in tough financial situations, of the few I have, they are living middle class lifestyles. Those doing less well receive $ from other relatives here in the States. I had budgeted US$3-4 K/ month in total expenses to live a reasonably comfortable lifestyle. What is the personal income tax charged (income brackets)? Which uniquely Dominican monthly expenses I should plan for (bribing police officers, Etc....)? Where should I be plan to purchase quality foodstuffs (local and imported) and get the best prices?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
personal income tax:
Escala retenci?n asalariados 2014
​Escala Anual Tasa​
​Rentas hasta RD$399,923.00 ​Exento
Rentas desde RD$399,923.01 hasta RD$599,884.00 15% del excedente de RD$399,923.01
​Rentas desde RD$599,884.01 hasta RD$833,171.00 RD$29,994.00 m?s el 20% del excedente de RD$599,884.01
Rentas desde RD$833,171.01 en adelante RD$76,652.00 m?s el 25% del excedente de RD$833,171.01

dominican expenses? hmmm... i would include a maid/nanny for sure. ignore bribes and so on but include getting a cedula/passport (if you don't have one yet). also bear in mind that cars are more expensive than in the US so you will need to budget more.

quality food can be found in any large supermarket chain like la sirena, el nacional or bravo. SD also has organic shops for folks with money but expect high rates.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
I find those income brackets really out of sink. What is then considered a middle or upper middle class income? The tax structure seems quite regressive for those earning what I would consider a good living. There is definitely a disincentive to make more and there is an incentive to evade by reporting less.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominicans do not want foreigners to creep on their turf.

Professional opportunities for (...) my wife?

Please check whether your wife can work in her profession (governments requirements, Dominican "colleagues"...).
I know of a case of a very good Cuban doctor in Nagua... :rolleyes:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I find those income brackets really out of sink. What is then considered a middle or upper middle class income? The tax structure seems quite regressive for those earning what I would consider a good living. There is definitely a disincentive to make more and there is an incentive to evade by reporting less.

you can use a search funcion to see past threads on what is considered middle class in DR. you don't want to start this subject here, really, it's like poking your nekkid ass at a nest of hornets, you're gonna end up needing a rectum transplant :)

to put it simple the brackets are for annual income. note that the highest bracket is capped at under 900k pesos a year which is not even 2k dollars a month. i would consider this kind of money lower middle class. you are budgeting to SPEND twice as much...

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
indominicana.com another websites to look at prices for rentals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
you can use a search funcion to see past threads on what is considered middle class in DR. you don't want to start this subject here, really, it's like poking your nekkid ass at a nest of hornets, you're gonna end up needing a rectum transplant :)

to put it simple the brackets are for annual income. note that the highest bracket is capped at under 900k pesos a year which is not even 2k dollars a month. i would consider this kind of money lower middle class. you are budgeting to SPEND twice as much...

Interesting choice of words with respect to simply a topic of conversation. Why is this such a spiny issue? I'm now interested in starting such a thread. Thanks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dirty Minded Women

Interesting choice of words with respect to simply a topic of conversation.

Wisely observed.
There are two women on this message board who obviously lose no opportunity to use obscene language. :tired:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
obscene language? i would call it adequately descriptive.

start a thread on the subject of middle class in DR and you will see what i meant. or use search function for previous threads.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
By the way, while I love the discussion thus far, I'd appreciate opinions on the Dream or Nightmare portion of my original query. I know this is by definition subjective, yes I want your view on what are the reasons why you either love or dislike living in the DR.