Renew 5 Year Expired Residency

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I have been out of the DR for over 5 years. My permanent resident card expired just about the time I decided to leave. Any chances it could be renewed or the 6 month rule will work against me?

Thanks

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have been out of the DR for over 5 years. My permanent resident card expired just about the time I decided to leave. Any chances it could be renewed or the 6 month rule will work against me?

Thanks

How does permanent expire? People ask why some of us don't get residency, but is it possible to be any more confusing than it is? What does permanent mean if it also or alternatively means it expires in 5 years.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
How does permanent expire? People ask why some of us don't get residency, but is it possible to be any more confusing than it is? What does permanent mean if it also or alternatively means it expires in 5 years.

He did not have a 5 year residency card, his residency card expired 5 years ago.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I have had my permanent residency here since 1995, and have often wondered about this bitching here on the board about (Americans) having to renew our residency here in the DR. Where as the USA has the same policy on aliens residing in the US, only real difference is the cost and the amount of time the residency is good for. Now with the 10 year residency here even that is equal.

https://greencardinusa.com/green-card-renewal-fee-cost/

The status of a permanent resident, means, the possession of a GC is not permanent. Just like the driver’s license, the green card needs to be updated from time to time. As a rule, green cards are a valid term for 10 years. Therefore, if you still have a green card with no expiration date on the front, you must immediately replace it in order to have a valid document confirming your immigration status in the US. Of course, if you have not applied for a green card replacement and not paying a consular fee, you will not be fined and will not lose permanent resident status.

As an alien, you may need going through Green Card renewal process if you, for example, lost it or someone had stolen it from you, or you just already passed a 10-year period of holding your card. That means your Green Card is expired and you need to apply for a new one as a renewed.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I just renewed my temp residency that was expired 5 years so assuming you should be able to as well.

Did you apply on your own or hire someone ?
What where the costs, length of time, another medical needed, and how many trips to the Capital ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just renewed my temp residency that was expired 5 years so assuming you should be able to as well.

Why did you bother? I thought you were happy to be hear illegally and get away with it as you posted several times by advising others not to bother with residency. What changed that attitude?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

My current permanent residency card expires in 2023. You just have to accept that fact that Permanent is the name they use at Migracion for this type of residency which comes after Temporary residency. When you have Permanent residency, you are entitled to own a firearm and possibly some other privileges not provided to Temporary residency card holders.

The only permanent type of "residency" is achieved through naturalization as in citizenship.
This is confusing even in the USA where a legal permanent residency card also needs to be renewed.

Did you apply on your own or hire someone ?
What where the costs, length of time, another medical needed, and how many trips to the Capital ?

I got a lawyer yes it would have been way too annoying otherwise. I didn’t have to do a medical but you will have to. My friend just renewed her expired permanent and she had to do blood, urine, X-ray, medial exam etc.
Temp res is much easier to renew $500us I paid and then the fees of what I owed for being expired, 35,000 pesos. My friend paid $800us for her expired res. Hers was only expired a bit over a year.
1 visit for me to SD and 1 trip to the medical place ( can do in PP) and 1 trip to SD . Well 2 for her as the cedula card machine wasn’t working :)

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
Haven't used a lawyer since our first temp renewal. Now into the renewal of permanent. The system is easy, just do EXACTLY what it says on the online site and you will not have an issue. I have helped at least 10 people with this and not 1 of them has had an issue. The system works, no issue, no problems.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019

Thanks

Hello, Jackichan. My name is Cynthia Comprés, an immigration attorney at Guzmán Ariza.

Yes, your residency could be renewed. Confirming the posts I've seen, you'll have to do a medical test, pay a penalty at the Immigration office around US$1,000.00 and if they request it, an interview to know the reasons why you didn't renew.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Hello, Jackichan. My name is Cynthia Comprés, an immigration attorney at Guzmán Ariza.

Yes, your residency could be renewed. Confirming the posts I've seen, you'll have to do a medical test, pay a penalty at the Immigration office around US$1,000.00 and if they request it, an interview to know the reasons why you didn't renew.

When i try to log in UP POPS in RED letters . The information does not correspond with our records. So i can not re-nue residency after having it for 20 years. They will not answer the phone. you can not enter migration. Went to windoe spoke to woman explained problem. She said please waite and dissappeared. I waited for over two hours then went home. So cynthia i will not pay you i will not pay $1.000 dollars i will not waist my time and health with this stupid Migration who can not use a computer to correct errors they made. They made the error and now i have to pay for their mistakes NO No No.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My perm res expired a few days ago . My fault. I was simply assuming 10/3 was Oct 3 not Mar 10. I travel back and forth from US frequently. When I got to immigration at the airport, I owned up right away. The jeffe said no problem. He kept the card and gave me a form with a photo copy of the card. Said I was "already in the system" and to go to immigration after the elections are over and they would take care of everything in short order. Not holding my breath but wife (a local) seems to think I'll have a new card in hand fairly quickly. I'll let you all know.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
My perm res expired a few days ago . My fault. I was simply assuming 10/3 was Oct 3 not Mar 10. I travel back and forth from US frequently. When I got to immigration at the airport, I owned up right away. The jeffe said no problem. He kept the card and gave me a form with a photo copy of the card. Said I was "already in the system" and to go to immigration after the elections are over and they would take care of everything in short order. Not holding my breath but wife (a local) seems to think I'll have a new card in hand fairly quickly. I'll let you all know.

Peep2, please keep in mind that the penalty to pick up the expired card is 5,000 pesos. After you make the online request for renovation, contact Immigration (809-508-2555) to confirm if they have the plastic; as they won't give you the new one without having the expired one. The evaluation for permanent residency renewal could take from three weeks to over a month to complete, including medical tests.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
When i try to log in UP POPS in RED letters . The information does not correspond with our records. So i can not re-nue residency after having it for 20 years. They will not answer the phone. you can not enter migration. Went to windoe spoke to woman explained problem. She said please waite and dissappeared. I waited for over two hours then went home. So cynthia i will not pay you i will not pay $1.000 dollars i will not waist my time and health with this stupid Migration who can not use a computer to correct errors they made. They made the error and now i have to pay for their mistakes NO No No.

The 1,000 dollars applies to Jackichan's case. And the legal advice on this site are free.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
At the airport, when I turned in my resident card, they gave me an official looking form that included a photocopy of the card and a stamped notice that I had turned in the card. My wife is well versed in Dominican officialdom and has arranged for a buscon(?)to handle the details. He said a week to ten days then physical etc. etc. Wife is pleased with his fee which looks to be about a third of what one of the law firms that advertise here charge.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's an improvement....

when my wife left the country in mid-renewal, they confiscated her expired card.
We needed a police report to give Migracion for the lost card.... not even lost

I asked at the airport- what happens to that card ??
It goes to her file in Sto Dom........and indeed it did

At our final fingerprinting/foto renewal - there it was
Clipped to her file

Cost me 500 at the police to get that report