Renew Permanent Residency - Lost

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I get all the “get off the residencea merry go round” and the “overstay” stuff. I get it! To attempt residencea today is DAUNTING and expensive! In fact I suggest to newcomers to not mess with it! It’s way cheaper to overstay. That said, I received my first residencea 15 years ago. You could apply inside the country and after ONE year, you received your first PERM. (Today its 5 years of temp before your first PERM). Most of the financial requirements and all the other BS was not required. We had just purchased our “home on the ocean”, (I had money back then), and I figured “while in Rome…….”. Personally I think that the DR Government should just GIVE us FREE residencea, if we own property at least. It’s a huge “money grab” fo sho! For those of us here full time, we contribute more to the economy than tourists do right? Anyway, if I can get off the “umbrella drinks” I’ll go for citizenship. They have made that pretty easy now. I could go on……but I better stop here! Cheers!!!

Reactions: aarhus

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Almost all correct apart of the scheduled date at Migracion. You can actually choose a da tewhich is suiting you without extra cost. If you don't show up for that one then you need to pay the 1000 pesos.
On a side note. The cedula for the 10 years is according the info on the website 11'000 pesos, When i did mine last October they did only charge me 4000 reason for that was that my old one was still not expired....:)

Habi. How were you able to change the date of your appointment at immigration? I only have two options. Confirm or Decline and pay 1k pesos.

As fate would have it everything went smoothly up to this point. I uploaded the documentation for myself and my wife in the same hour. We were both approved and paid online within an hour of each other. Today we both received appointments; however they are about a full week apart from each other. Always some F’n thing!!! Short of trying to call them, how did you change yours and avoid the fee? Gracius!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I get all the “get off the residencea merry go round” and the “overstay” stuff. I get it! To attempt residencea today is DAUNTING and expensive! In fact I suggest to newcomers to not mess with it! It’s way cheaper to overstay. That said, I received my first residencea 15 years ago. You could apply inside the country and after ONE year, you received your first PERM. (Today its 5 years of temp before your first PERM). Most of the financial requirements and all the other BS was not required. We had just purchased our “home on the ocean”, (I had money back then), and I figured “while in Rome…….”. Personally I think that the DR Government should just GIVE us FREE residencea, if we own property at least. It’s a huge “money grab” fo sho! For those of us here full time, we contribute more to the economy than tourists do right? Anyway, if I can get off the “umbrella drinks” I’ll go for citizenship. They have made that pretty easy now. I could go on……but I better stop here! Cheers!!!
I also got residency around that time and it was very easy back then. One would expect to have to do some work initially. I didn’t renew last year and don’t live in the DR anymore. You have some good suggestions but nobody listens. Someone must have thought it’s a great system.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Habi. How were you able to change the date of your appointment at immigration? I only have two options. Confirm or Decline and pay 1k pesos.
You can decline your appointment date and schedule another w/o penalty. You only pay the penalty if you don't show up for the appointment and then reschedule.

habi

Oct 17, 2015

As fate would have it everything went smoothly up to this point. I uploaded the documentation for myself and my wife in the same hour. We were both approved and paid online within an hour of each other. Today we both received appointments; however they are about a full week apart from each other. Always some F’n thing!!! Short of trying to call them, how did you change yours and avoid the fee? Gracius!
Just like cavok mentioned above. When you decline your date you can set your own date. I know the wording on the website is confusing and it sunds like you have to pay.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
You can decline your appointment date and schedule another w/o penalty. You only pay the penalty if you don't show up for the appointment and then reschedule.
When you decline can you only choose another date or can you chose a time also?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
When you decline can you only choose another date or can you chose a time also?
When I declined the first appointment back in July, it automatically gave me another time and date. I declined that one and finally got one that worked for me. I didn't see any option to choose a specific time and date then(?).

It's definitely best to get an early time. JCE can be crowded lately and I wouldn't want to be trying to get out of SD after 4pm.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
When I declined the first appointment back in July, it automatically gave me another time and date. I declined that one and finally got one that worked for me. I didn't see any option to choose a specific time and date then(?).

It's definitely best to get an early time. JCE can be crowded lately and I wouldn't want to be trying to get out of SD after 4pm.
Thank you, Yes want an early appointment.

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Thank you, Yes want an early appointment.
Hello

When they give an appointment that does not fit you, refuse it and you will have a pop-up to explain the reasons why you did not accept. They will propose another one, but you cannot choose the date or the time.

Last time, I refused the first one because we are a family, and they gave us a different day for my daughter.

If you don't want to come back because you want to go BOTH to get the residencia AND the cedula the same day, accept the appointment even it's not early in the morning, and go there before 8.00. We always do that, even if the appointment is late in the morning or in the afternoon.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Hey folks. Thanks for the info. No hay problema. Just for the heck of it, I wrote Imigration at info@migracion.gob.do and asked about this. I was VERY surprised to hear back and this was the response 24 hours later.” It is a pleasure to be able to assist you. In response to your question, you can both show up at one of the scheduled appointments, since you are a family nucleus”.

From the day I submitted the required doc’s for Definitive 10 residencea, until the day is was paid and approved, it was 10 days. I’ll go to the Capital a week from Monday. I can write up everything I did for Definitive if anyone is interested. This will be the fourth time we did all this ourselves not including what I have done for friends. Easy peasy…..mucho pesos without lawyer. Thanks again!!

Reactions: cavok

marcosalm

Jul 24, 2018
Santiago
Hey folks. Thanks for the info. No hay problema. Just for the heck of it, I wrote Imigration at info@migracion.gob.do and asked about this. I was VERY surprised to hear back and this was the response 24 hours later.” It is a pleasure to be able to assist you. In response to your question, you can both show up at one of the scheduled appointments, since you are a family nucleus”.

From the day I submitted the required doc’s for Definitive 10 residencea, until the day is was paid and approved, it was 10 days. I’ll go to the Capital a week from Monday. I can write up everything I did for Definitive if anyone is interested. This will be the fourth time we did all this ourselves not including what I have done for friends. Easy peasy…..mucho pesos without lawyer. Thanks again!!
Botemon, please do a write up.....I can't (nor want to) afford a lawyer!!!! Thanks.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

Thank you, please give us more details.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
In response.....I go to the Capital on Monday to finish up. I don't expect any surprises. I will be happy to do a "write up" on all the steps taken for the Definitive 10 year renewal. I'll start another thread later next week. Cheers!!

Reactions: CG and JD Jones

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
I deposited my stuff a week ago. How.long does it take to get an appointment?
Keep checking your "application status". You won't get an email. How long?? Mine was about a week or so......maybe 10 days. Cheers.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I got it! RD-1. Good for 10 years. I went early and told the lady at the window I wanted the 10 year renewal but did not have the option on the page and when I called they said my passport wasn't registered. They sent me to a few different people. About 1/2 hour later they called me and said all was good and to pay the rd$20000 for the 10 year. Did all the stuff and got residency. Went to get the cedula. Paid rd$4000 and was out of there 1/2 hour later. So I'm good for 10 years! Woohoo!

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I got it! RD-1. Good for 10 years. I went early and told the lady at the window I wanted the 10 year renewal but did not have the option on the page and when I called they said my passport wasn't registered. They sent me to a few different people. About 1/2 hour later they called me and said all was good and to pay the rd$20000 for the 10 year. Did all the stuff and got residency. Went to get the cedula. Paid rd$4000 and was out of there 1/2 hour later. So I'm good for 10 years! Woohoo!
Jan is cedula also good for 10 years and 4000rd?