Renting a car in Santiago?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
What's the going rate for renting a car in Santiago? The last few times I've rented from an authorized rental place, but they're just unreasonably expensive.

Who do you guys recommend with affordable rentals?

Thanks.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
RD$ 1,400 - RD$ 1, 600 per day.
If doing a week at a time you should be able to negotiate a better deal.

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
RD$ 1,400 - RD$ 1, 600 per day.
If doing a week at a time you should be able to negotiate a better deal.
I would love to know where you can rent a car in DR for those prices. I just rented a Honda CRV for 2 weeks from a small rental company in La Vega for 40.00 USD a day. This price was with a friend of a friend discount usually charges much more. He even drove all the way from La Vega to Punta Cana to pick us up after spending a week at a resort.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I would love to know where you can rent a car in DR for those prices. I just rented a Honda CRV for 2 weeks from a small rental company in La Vega for 40.00 USD a day. This price was with a friend of a friend discount usually charges much more. He even drove all the way from La Vega to Punta Cana to pick us up after spending a week at a resort.
Your friend of a friend probably pocketed the difference. I guess it pays to have the right connections. I used to broker deals for tourist looking to save money on cars, accommodations and such but I quit doing it back 2015 after having been dragged into the middle of a stupid minor dispute that was easy to resolve.
RD$1,600 a day max.
Not difficult to achieve.
Good luck with it

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
Your friend of a friend probably pocketed the difference. I guess it pays to have the right connections. I used to broker deals for tourist looking to save money on cars, accommodations and such but I quit doing it back 2015 after having been dragged into the middle of a stupid minor dispute that was easy to resolve.
RD$1,600 a day max.
Not difficult to achieve.
Good luck with it
Guess I should have been more clear, yes you can rent a CAR for the price you state. But the Honda CRV is an SUV which carries a premium. Vehicle was practically brand new and I did not have to fill out any paperwork or inspection of vehicle upon return. He even drove us to STI at midnight to return home. I highly doubt that anyone pocketed any sort of money as both of these people are very successful with no need to make a few dollars off of me. But you can assume whatever you want.

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm no longer dealing with or recommending businesses when it comes to all things "rental". Sorry but not worth the headaches.
See post #4

• Haha

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
What's the going rate for renting a car in Santiago? The last few times I've rented from an authorized rental place, but they're just unreasonably expensive.

Who do you guys recommend with affordable rentals?

Thanks.
Go for the big companies on orbitz etc. To much "Tigres" in this Business ! If your Credit Card covers Damage on rental cars (most of them do), just print it out and show it when you pick up the car. Otherwise they force you to ad "insurance" etc. Stay firm on the price you received from orbitz and in case they ask you for more (they will); call orbitz imidately (you will be surprised how fast they pick up the phone and how good is their Service). If you do not plan to rent a car for several month, it's just not worth it to deal with this local companies.

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A lot has changed since 2015, and car rental costs is one of them.
Last vehicle I rented was during Christmas 2022. Paid RD$1,400 per day for nice Hyundai Sonata. Drove it down to the Capital for a big reunion with ex-wife's family in Cristo Rey. No problem.

I probably spent more in propane/ gas than I did the rental. We had a fantastic time.

I'll be happy to post a few pics and share some video if you're interested. I've got connections all over this country and I get sh*t gone.

• Haha

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Last vehicle I rented was during Christmas 2022. Paid RD$1,400 per day for nice Hyundai Sonata. Drove it down to the Capital for a big reunion with ex-wife's family in Cristo Rey. No problem.

I probably spent more in propane/ gas than I did the rental. We had a fantastic time.

I'll be happy to post a few pics and share some video if you're interested. I've got connections all over this country and I get sh*t gone.
I fail to understand why you boast that you rented a car for RD$1,400/day and that you have "connections all over this country".

How does your answer help?

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
I fail to understand why you boast that you rented a car for RD$1,400/day and that you have "connections all over this country".

How does your answer help?
I was actually thinking the same thing. 😏 I just told my wife that we need to start making connections or we will never get anything done in DR.