renting in puerto plata

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
Hi everyone,

Been a while since i been on this site. I am looking to visit dr for a couple months and want to rent a 1 bedroom or studio apartment . furnished. I remember there were apartments for rent by a gentleman named Juan. His building is right by the malecon in puerto plata. My budget is $300 .

Please share any uselfull information.

Thank you,

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

You can't legally visit for a "couple of months" so what makes you think you can find a person willing to rent to an "illegal" and risk getting themselves in trouble?

Now granted the likelihood of any of that happening is remote, but change has to start somewhere. What makes you believe that it's ok for you to come here and break the law just because you want to and potentially reduce the chance (albeit temporarily) for a resident to rent that same space?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009

You can't legally visit for a "couple of months" so what makes you think you can find a person willing to rent to an "illegal" and risk getting themselves in trouble?

Now granted the likelihood of any of that happening is remote, but change has to start somewhere. What makes you believe that it's ok for you to come here and break the law just because you want to and potentially reduce the chance (albeit temporarily) for a resident to rent that same space?

A little harsh! Plenty of people come and stay for that length of time over and over.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My point being...just because you "can" do something, doesn't make it "alright" to do it. Morality and ethics is a murky subject for some.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A little harsh! Plenty of people come and stay for that length of time over and over.

Granted, I'm picking on Irina1. Her coming here and staying as long as she wants doesn't affect me at all. It's just with all the uproar about visitor normalization I thought I'd bring to the forefront the hypocrisy of the complaints about that process and the "do whatever you can get away with attitude" that brought it about in the first place.

At some point one has to choose to be a part of the solution or remain the problem.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I don't feel there is too much wrong with either my ethics or my morals thanks. The government doesn't seem to be bothered by tourists coming for a couple of months or they wouldn't simply charge an overstay fee, they would ban you from re-entering the DR.

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
Ive lived in DR. before for over 4 months at a time. But didnt know of the rule change regarding over stay. (when i stayed for 4 months i paid 500pes at the airport when leaving.

I am planning on coming in January. Im basically just looking to live as cheap as I can for a couple months, obviously within reason. But no drinking or partying or shopping.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Irina1, I won't continue to beat the drums, I think you may have not caught my implied sermon about over staying your tourist visa past, present or future.

Have a good time.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
My landlord has studios, one and two bedroom places. Rent includes electricity, furnishings and part of cable. Not on Malec?n.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Come on down. Be aware that the laws are changing. The choices will be yours as well as the positive and negative consequences.

I wish I could help you find that place; I am in STI.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ive lived in DR. before for over 4 months at a time. But didnt know of the rule change regarding over stay. (when i stayed for 4 months i paid 500pes at the airport when leaving.

I am planning on coming in January. Im basically just looking to live as cheap as I can for a couple months, obviously within reason. But no drinking or partying or shopping.

Me too Irina, I spent 4 months earlier this year, [have been going to DR since 1975] but that will be coming to an end sometime in the next 18 months, so enjoy it while it lasts. For 4 months overstay, it's a 1000 peso fine at the airport.

MauriceNS

Jun 2, 2014
Irina..I would not worry. I'm planning on spending the winter this year, and when I went to the Dominican Embassy a few weeks ago here in Canada to inquire about VISAs and overstay...they told me not to worry if staying for 6-9 months, and I would just have to pay the overstay fee when leaving. So that's right from the Embassy. Doesn't seem like they are too worried.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
And you've made your choice Black Dog, fair enough.

No, I think you've jumped to a conclusion there. I have my residency, I have a DR corporation for my business and I pay my taxes here. I just don't see what the big deal is if some people want to come and spend some time here but not all their time and therefor don't jump through all the moving hoops for residency.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Irina1, I won't continue to beat the drums, I think you may have not caught my implied sermon about over staying your tourist visa past, present or future.

Have a good time.
Funny you should say it that way - a little self righteous.

It is too early to be worried I contacted the Dominican embassy 2x asking Q's no reply. No surprise.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

What are you talking about? You really think for the DR gov is concerned, at this point, about someone who wants to over stay his tourist card by 30 days? Come on man!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I do not wish to completely hijack Irina1's thread and I do not feel that she needs to be singled out. If anyone is really interested in continuing the discussion about the ethics surrounding overstaying one's visa, create a new thread and I'd be pleased to participate.