Reports of thousands failing written test in public school teacher assessment

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Concurso-docentes-Diario-Libre.jpg

The written test is the first part of the assessment. Primitiva Medina, a member of the National Committee created to choose teachers for public elementary schools, says that most of those who sat for the written tests failed to make the pass score. As reported in Diario Libre, Medina recommended suspending the testing and review the test.

Meanwhile, Rafael Alcantara, Deputy Minister in charge of Accreditation and Teacher Certification said the assessment procedures to choose around 20,000 teachers for the 2021-2022 school year is going well.

The public school year opens for in person learning on 20 September 2021 nationwide.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre...

[url=https://dr1.com/wordpress/2021/09/09/reports-of-thousands-failing-written-test-in-public-school-teacher-assessment/]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OldSkool

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
A. Fund a better education for children from age 5 up and you will have competent teachers in 1-2 generations.

B. This isn’t happening because those with the means don’t even blink at public schools as an option, and those in power prefer things just as they are.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
A. Fund a better education for children from age 5 up and you will have competent teachers in 1-2 generations.

B. This isn’t happening because those with the means don’t even blink at public schools as an option, and those in power prefer things just as they are.

I think if Luis has one weakness or a complaint about him, it's education for the masses in the DR. From what I have seen as a somewhat interested spectator, he is doing a very poor job of promoting real education, especially STEM. For this country to compete, they have to do a much better job on education.

Reactions: cavok

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
His daughters attended private school, obviously. It seems like education isn’t even on his radar and he’s totally out of touch with the issues surrounding it.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I think if Luis has one weakness or a complaint about him, it's education for the masses in the DR. From what I have seen as a somewhat interested spectator, he is doing a very poor job of promoting real education, especially STEM. For this country to compete, they have to do a much better job on education.
I don't have any source nor reference as I did not think of that very much, but I believe I read either in Diario Libre or Listin Diario a while ago about a study that the Dominicans who exit the country for a better future (for work), have very very little education compared to many other immigrants... And someone very smart said that this should change...

Also, agree with Auryn, in a sane country, all the politicians should have all their children in public schools as their govt is responsible for all that... I doubt that this is the case though...

Reactions: NanSanPedro

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
His daughters attended private school, obviously. It seems like education isn’t even on his radar and he’s totally out of touch with the issues surrounding it.
And recently it was in the news that one daughter is attending a university "afuera", of course...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I don't believe that funding is the real problem. Many countries that have lower education funding do better those those with very high funding. It is more about actual practical application of that funding.

Reactions: aarhus

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I guess the next step will be to dumb down the tests. It's becoming a trend to make excuses for the lazy or failing

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I can’t believe now that he was celebrated as the change president. If anything he is worse than the former

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I can’t believe now that he was celebrated as the change president.
People here enjoy drama and celebrations, no matter if there is a reason to do that... Also, it's always mentioned that there will be a "change" "cambio", but i cannot recall a single time when it would be been mentioned WHAT will change... what will be done differently...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
People here enjoy drama and celebrations, no matter if there is a reason to do that... Also, it's always mentioned that there will be a "change" "cambio", but i cannot recall a single time when it would be been mentioned WHAT will change... what will be done differently...
Follow the President's feed on Instagram.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can’t believe now that he was celebrated as the change president. If anything he is worse than the former
Well, I doubt if he is personally as bad as Medina but his party is certainly as bad or worse than the PLD. I believe most that pass will be political passes.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Well, I doubt if he is personally as bad as Medina but his party is certainly as bad or worse than the PLD. I believe most that pass will be political passes.
I think that is probably accurate. It’s the party that’s worse than PLD.

Aug 21, 2007
If they suspend the concurso, the positions will be filled by giving low paying contracts to political favorites. The good candidates will not accept a contract because there is no job security and although they are equally qualified as other teachers, they would be paid less. Last time they did this, I observed lots of inadequate teachers.

I think there is no good outcome here.

In Jamao, we have about 10 positions that are filled by teachers who live outside the country and continue to take their salary. Unless they officially quit, nothing can be done about them. Others are no longer teaching. They are retired, but never completed the steps formally with the Minister of Education. Thus, those positions cannot be filled either.

The whole thing is a mess.

Reactions: bob saunders

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
My wife has voted PLD since Leonel and voted Reformists before that. He didnt like Danilo was way back , she said he was a snake not to be trusted.
So what is the view of Leonel and Fuerza del Pueblo ? I think he has a chance if Abinader screws up.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
it is a mistake to assume that funding increases for public schools can close the achievement gap. Purchasing more educational resources is a popular idea, but rigorous studies on reduced class sizes, graduate degrees for teachers, and enhanced amenities in schools suggest little or no impact on student achievement.
So what is the view of Leonel and Fuerza del Pueblo ? I think he has a chance if Abinader screws up.
I think he has a change. Leonel is a cat with nine lives. On the subject of education: it is a mistake to assume that funding increases for public schools can close the achievement gap. Purchasing more educational resources is a popular idea, but rigorous studies on reduced class sizes, graduate degrees for teachers, and enhanced amenities in schools suggest little or no impact on student achievement. This has been proven in many international and national studies. That not to say a properly equipped science lab isn't better than a non-existent one, same for computer labs....etc.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
it is a mistake to assume that funding increases for public schools can close the achievement gap. Purchasing more educational resources is a popular idea, but rigorous studies on reduced class sizes, graduate degrees for teachers, and enhanced amenities in schools suggest little or no impact on student achievement.

I think he has a change. Leonel is a cat with nine lives.
Maybe I went off topic here. I apologize. I once wanted to start a thread about Dominican politics when I was posting under my own name and got completely trolled agresively by a few posters. I didn’t understand it.