Reports of thousands failing written test in public school teacher assessment

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It really appears that the #1 culprit is attitude. The majority of Dominicanos don't seem to value education as a way out of poverty. Am I wrong?
I think you are partly right. Interesting perspective.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Follow the President's feed on Instagram.
Don't get me wrong, I know he has detailed many items for change, my point was only that when they campaign, the most used slogan is "CHANGE" "CAMBIO de RD" or something else...

Thanks for the tip though, will need to check his IG!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think Dominicans mostly only learn where they can see easy money.

Aug 21, 2007
It really appears that the #1 culprit is attitude. The majority of Dominicanos don't seem to value education as a way out of poverty. Am I wrong?

Yes, I agree. Among lower classes of Dominicans there is - generally speaking- not much value for education. Thus, they will not hold educators and government accountable.

Bob Saunders, correct me if I am wrong.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, I agree. Among lower classes of Dominicans there is - generally speaking- not much value for education. Thus, they will not hold educators and government accountable.

Bob Saunders, correct me if I am wrong.
I would say that is true, but they almost all see the value in learning to read.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think you are partly right. Interesting perspective.
If they have rice and beans and a cold Presidente each day they think they've got it made.
Maybe that is a more relaxed way of life, until old age inflation and poverty sneak up on you and wind up standing in the street begging for pesos.

Aug 21, 2007
If they have rice and beans and a cold Presidente each day they think they've got it made.
Maybe that is a more relaxed way of life, until old age inflation and poverty sneak up on you and wind up standing in the street begging for pesos.

I understand your point and on one hand, cannot disagree. On the other, though, if the DR wants to be considered as a global contender, they need an educated population.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
A close family friend who I’ve known for about 8 years has been studying to be a Math & Science teacher. He took psychology, never used it of course, worked in various positions, and then went back to school.

He just took the exam yesterday. He said 2/20 in his group passed, himself and one other. In the previous group, 4/20 passed.

His perspective? The exam was a ton of reading. Many of the questions were meant to be difficult to interpret and had more than one correct answer. The questions were intended to trick the reader. He said there were 4 parts: Math, Spanish, Science, and Sociales. All teachers wrote all 4 parts and no subject specific exams are written for certification. He said it didn’t really even test broad knowledge, but rather reading comprehension and the ability to decipher which multiple choice answer was best.

If all groups had the same success rate on this exam (10-20%), you would think that major overhauls would happen. Powers that be do not care.

Reactions: AlterEgo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I understand your point and on one hand, cannot disagree. On the other, though, if the DR wants to be considered as a global contender, they need an educated population.
That would take 4-5 generations to come close to an educated population. Now that they are dumbing down the testing for teachers it will be going in the wrong direction.
Dominicans are not inherently dumb, they have sufficient brain power, but a majority are culturally tuned to put out little to no effort to improve themselves or value strong education.
They would rather paint over something than repair it right. It looks good for a while - now let me go eat my rice and beans. Just lazy.
And what's with the 2 hour lunches ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A close family friend who I’ve known for about 8 years has been studying to be a Math & Science teacher. He took psychology, never used it of course, worked in various positions, and then went back to school.

He just took the exam yesterday. He said 2/20 in his group passed, himself and one other. In the previous group, 4/20 passed.

His perspective? The exam was a ton of reading. Many of the questions were meant to be difficult to interpret and had more than one correct answer. The questions were intended to trick the reader. He said there were 4 parts: Math, Spanish, Science, and Sociales. All teachers wrote all 4 parts and no subject specific exams are written for certification. He said it didn’t really even test broad knowledge, but rather reading comprehension and the ability to decipher which multiple choice answer was best.

If all groups had the same success rate on this exam (10-20%), you would think that major overhauls would happen. Powers that be do not care.
If a multiply choice question is done correctly two out of the four answers will be totally incorrect, one will be very close to correct and the other will be the correct answer. None will have been designed to trick anyone but yes reading comprehension would be very necessary. Probably the equivalent of a grade eight general knowledge test. My wife gives potential hires a grade seven test and most fail it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Considering they have about 19,000 positions available and over 80,000 applicants I think the government would be happy with a 20-25 percent pass rate plus they know they can hire plenty on contracts.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
80,000 applicants for 19,000 positions….makes so much sense.

Why not invest well in 25-30,000 potential teachers instead?

Let them eat cake.