Requirements for Travel with Minors

babsleah

Feb 21, 2006
hi im a single parent intendin 2 go 2 dom rep shortly can anybody point me in the right direction on this please? my daughter is 3 & has no contact with her dad at all

THE PRUTTING

Mar 4, 2006
What I'm really trying to find out is the place for us to stay without her being bored and entertained and us also enjoying ourselves.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Sluna77 and Babsleah,
Excuse me for straying from the thread but I just wanted to welcome the 2 of you to DR1. I see that you Sluna77 have been here to our wonderful island a number of times and I assume that this is the first trip for you Babsleah.

When the both of you get back home how about a report in the "Trip Report" forum. We would love to hear how your trip went, you know, where you stayed, how the food and service was etc. Enjoy.

Rick

Back on thread

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hola!

I am travelling with my fiancee's daughter. Her mother has died. No custody issues.

She has a birth cert and I have a passport. She is ten.

We will travel with a letter from her father, notarized here in Maine.

Does it make sense (now don't laugh!) for her dad and I to do a quick legal wedding, to travel with the marriage cert as well? Does it matter?

We leave in two weeks.

FWIW people mistake her for my own all the time.

When we went in November with her dad and brother, they had their pictures snapped at the office in Santiago.

Any advice?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
MaineGirl said:
Hola!

I am travelling with my fiancee's daughter. Her mother has died. No custody issues.

She has a birth cert and I have a passport. She is ten.

We will travel with a letter from her father, notarized here in Maine.

Any advice?
Short of an adoption or legal guardianship, you have no standing. Did you bother to read the initial post on this thread? A simple notarized letter from the father will not suffice. At a minimum you will also need to have proof that the mother is deceased.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I did read the first post, HOWMAR.

I do have the death certificate.

Seems like we need birth, death and marriage everywhere else. I suppose I will travel with my lawyer. Oh wait, that's the girl's father. His not coming along is the whole problem.

I guess I shall send a letter to the consulate next! No hay problema, I live near Boston!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The point is that Dominican Immigration is not your only concern. Before allowing the child to depart with you, the airline has to confirm not only has the father given his permission and appointed you to accompany her, but also that he has the sole authority.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
The point is that Dominican Immigration is not your only concern. Before allowing the child to depart with you, the airline has to confirm not only has the father given his permission and appointed you to accompany her, but also that he has the sole authority.
Even though they are responsible for checking that all the documentation is in order, the airlines will rarely question you when leaving the US. In the dozen or so times I've traveled to the DR with my daughter (she has a different last name than me), only once did they ask me for proof. (I had a notarized letter from her mother, which they thought would be okay, and let me board).

Coming from the DR, they seem to question us about half the times. When they do questions us, I play dumb (no big stretch) and after some haggling they've always let us board the plane.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MaineGirl said:
...I suppose I will travel with my lawyer. Oh wait, that's the girl's father. His not coming along is the whole problem.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MaineGirl said:
I guess I shall send a letter to the consulate next! No hay problema, I live near Boston!
If you want to avoid any possible problems, get the proper documents from the consulate. That probably means, you, your fiancee, and his daughter, all need to go to the consulate with all the paperwork (and I believe $60US).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thank you. School break starts next week. It is easier to go to the consulate than to get married, get passports, get name change, get custody, etc etc etc. So I will let you know!

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Good Grief!

This is something Thomson sure as anything DID NOT tell me in booking my holiday!!!:surprised

I assume I too need get documentation then? (UK and only parent going to DR with my girls as estranged from my husband)...thinking I know the answer to THAT already!!!

WHAT a bother! Having not been to the DR before I didn't know this information and am a tad annoyed that Thomson didn't mention this important fact as I SURE AS ANYTHING gave 2 surnames (one for myself and my girls and the other of my current partner) in booking...I am trying to get through to them on the phone as I type...Kind of wonder what they would have done if I hadn't joined this forum today to learn more about the country and got STOPPED for not having this documentation on my departure!!:confused:

I'm not a happy girl!!...

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
I got this (in spanish ) from the Dominican embassy
Buenos Dias,

Cualquier menor que entre y salga de la Rep?blica Dominicana acompa?ado por un adulto, no se necesita el permiso de los padres.

En su caso como usted va a viajar con su hija, ella no necesita el permiso del padre si usted entra y sale con ella. Pero en caso de que ella

tenga que salir sola o sin usted si necesitar?a un permiso de los padre. Tambi?n como ustedes tiene pasaporte, eso es suficiente para entra

al pa?s. Su hija no necesita foto ID, porque ella tiene su pasaporte la cual es su documento de identificaci?n personal.

Gracias,

Johnny Ramirez

First Secretary

Embassy of the Dominican Republi c

1715 22nd Street N W

Washington , DC 20008

Phone: (202) 332-6280 ext. 2508

Fax: (202) 265-8057

E-mail: jramirez@us.serex.gov.do

same guy just this time in spanish

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I have just (FINALLY!!!) got through to Thomson and they have advised that (as suspected!) I do indeed need such documentation - though they did not acctually tell me this prior to me calling with the query having looked here!!!:tired:

I intend on getting such documentation myself...better safe than sorry I say!!;)

P.S. My ear is acctually BURNING hot from being on hold so long!!! - darn "after sales" department!!!!!

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
Letter from Consulate

Did you see the letter I got from the consulate saying that it was ok? I am her mother but the dad is not traveling.
Stevi

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hmm...seems like MiniMaine and my situation might be ok, then!

PLus, we were just there...I am sure they have her in their computers as a tourist already...

I'm on the fence. We have plans but I don't want them to go up in flames after ten minutes in immigration.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MaineGirl said:
Hmm...seems like MiniMaine and my situation might be ok, then!

PLus, we were just there...I am sure they have her in their computers as a tourist already...

I'm on the fence. We have plans but I don't want them to go up in flames after ten minutes in immigration.
You may want to contact the guy mentioned in posts #19 and #34 to get a similar email (or better yet call him and see if you can get an actual letter).

attenewg

Feb 1, 2006
I have traveled back and forth from the US to the DR on several occasions with my children and my grandchild. I was the only parent with them. I have a passport and the children have a passport. We have never had any problem passing to either country. The grandchild has a different last name and they have always assumed the chikd was mine. I do have a letter from the grandchild parent but I have never been asked. Maybe it is because we all have passports.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I saw your letter sbsuib but I skipped that bit as I can't read Spanish!...NOW I realise it is the original letter you posted subscribed in Spanish!! LOL! Took me a while to "clock on" there - sorry!
Any-ho! Thinking we have this matter sorted, children don't need the permit if leaving the country with the same adults they arrived with. I called the Embassy in London today (prior to coming back on here today and the "penny dropping"!) and they told me exactly the same as that letter states...I'm glad that's the case though - didn't fancy trying to sort out documentation on top of packing! :)
Thinking I may print this page though 'in case' as some on here have stated they've been stopped and asked for a permit...it's not that I'd possess any original letter but if they're asking if (per chance) I have a permit at least they'll realise that the answer is "no" and why! Also going to write the number of the Embassy in London on the back.