Requirements for Travel with Minors

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
attenewg said:
I have traveled back and forth from the US to the DR on several occasions with my children and my grandchild. I was the only parent with them. I have a passport and the children have a passport. We have never had any problem passing to either country. The grandchild has a different last name and they have always assumed the chikd was mine. I do have a letter from the grandchild parent but I have never been asked. Maybe it is because we all have passports.

Just checking: US citizens can still travel without passport to the DR, right?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
M.A.R. said:

Yes.

If you are a citizen of the US born in the US you can travel with your birth certificate and a state issued ID.

If you are a citizen of the US born outside the US you can travel with your naturalization certificate and a state issued ID.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
El Tigre said:
Yes.

If you are a citizen of the US born in the US you can travel with your birth certificate and a state issued ID.

If you are a citizen of the US born outside the US you can travel with your naturalization certificate and a state issued ID.

Yes, but soon your own government will not let you back in with out a passport.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
M.A.R. said:
Until December 31, 2006, at which point you will need a passport to (re)enter the US.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
rellosk said:
Until December 31, 2006, at which point you will need a passport to (re)enter the US.

Alright good, I'll save those $100 for the cab to the airport. thanks guys wanted to make sure I'll be let back in the country. :)

huggles

Aug 21, 2006
I will be travelling to the D.R. in the spring as a single parent with my 15 year old daughter as was wondering too if I needed any documentation so I went to the Embassy of Dominican Republic in Canada website and this is what it states:

"Concerning children 13 years old and under traveling alone or with a person other than a parent (friend, uncle, aunt, sister, brother, niece etc.) should have a passport and a special permission from the parents.

The permission letter has to be signed by either parents or the one that has the full custody of the child, this letter then has to be legalized by the Embassy or the Consulate nearest to the concern person. This document authorizing a third party or the airline to travel with the child, must contain the name of the parents, name and passport number of the child, name of the airline, flight number and date of departure. The legalization of this letter by the DR Consulate includes translation into Spanish and a picture of the child.

If you are not able to come to the Dominican Republic Embassy in person, you must go to the Notary Public or Commissioner from your City to notarize the letter before you send it to the Embassy to be legalized, please include the fee for U$75.00 and a prepaid envelope to return your document.

This document has to be presented in the Immigration office at the airport when arriving and leaving the Dominican Republic.

For children over 13 years of age, a permission letter is not needed."

It is the last sentence that caught my eye because all the other posts on this topic is about 18 years and younger. So am I understanding this correctly in that I DO NOT need a notarized letter??? thanks.

jakit

Jun 23, 2007
I will be travelling to the D.R. in the spring as a single parent with my 15 year old daughter as was wondering too if I needed any documentation so I went to the Embassy of Dominican Republic in Canada website and this is what it states:

"Concerning children 13 years old and under traveling alone or with a person other than a parent (friend, uncle, aunt, sister, brother, niece etc.) should have a passport and a special permission from the parents."

Regarding the above, I have also been wondering as I visit DR in July 2007, I have done extensive research and found this on the Dominican Republic Embassy website in the UK and it applies to ALL MINORS:-
"Minors
Non-Dominican minors or Dominican minors residing abroad DO NOT require special documents to travel to the Dominican Republic as long as they enter and leave the country with the same person(s).

If a child will be departing the country with a different person than he or she entered with, a legal document must be obtained as proof that this has been authorized by the parents or guardian. This document must take the form of a letter of consent from the parents or legal guardian signed in front of a Notary Public or Solicitor. The document must contain the names and passport numbers of the persons accompanying the child on both legs of the journey and the dates of outward and return travel.

The document must be legalised by both the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Consular Section of the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in the UK prior to departure. The document:

1) Must first be sent to the Legalisations Office at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Please contact them for further information about the procedure.
2) Must then be sent to the Consular Section of the Embassy. The fee for legalisations at the Embassy is ?60.

By post:
? The document will take seven working days to be processed.
? A Recorded/Special Delivery Envelope must be provided to return the document. We regret we will not be able to return documents if a pre-paid envelope is not provided. We strongly recommend you send your document to both offices by Recorded/ Special delivery.
? All payment must be made by Postal Order or Banker?s Draft; payable to the Embassy of the Dominican Republic. WE DO NOT ACCEPT PERSONAL CHEQUES.

Priority Service:
In cases of emergency, documents may be processed within 4 working days. They can be posted Special Delivery, if such an envelope is provided. There is a fee of ?10 for this service.

The Legalization Office
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building
Whitehall
London, SW1A 2LG
Tel: 020 7008-1111
Fax: 020 7008-1010
so ALL minors travelling must enter and exit the country with the same people otherwise there are problems !
Goodness knows what happens if you snuff it out there ??
The website which was current as of today 23rd June 2007
is at
dominicanembassy.org.uk under minors
Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom[/url]
It is in English and any other answers are there in Englsih also.
Just a word though, it is always worth carrying a letter of authorisation from the parents if the child is not yours as if there is an accident or hospital treatment is needed you then act as guardian.

Regards

jgordon

Jul 24, 2007
I am going to be traveling with my son and his friend (age 16). As far as his friend goes, since i am not his parent or guardian, will i have a problem coming into or going out of the country? thanks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If I was in your shoes, I would get at least a notarized letter of agreement by the parents as a back-up. At the age of 16 though, I can hardly imagine that anyone would ask questions.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Leaving the DR with a minor

Up till now, when I've left the country on my own with my son a notarised letter from my husband has been enough. Now we need a permit from Migracion, which they retain when you go through passport control. If I'd known this I would have had it photocopied first.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Last Xmas I flew down with my daughter, and she flew back by herself.

They stopped her in immigration and asked her some questions (I forgot to tell her that if they asked, she should say that she entered the country by herself). They wanted to detain her until she obtained the proper authorization (I'm not sure how that could be done, being that she and her passport were in the DR, and her mother and I were in the US).

They finally relented and let her leave the country, after she paid a negotiated fee.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Airline Info Forum

Check out the Airline Info section of this forum at
Airline Info - DR1 Dominican Republic Forums

There people usually post airline specials. If you post your destination, readers can tell of their experience or knowledge of where to find the best fares. Especially, those people who fly frequently to a destination.

chonei323

Mar 2, 2011
Minor children are now considered regulars on airplanes and in airports. While their presence is very much accepted and encouraged, there are special rules and regulations for traveling children that all parents should know before heading to the airport.

TheExpert

Sep 13, 2011
www.dreamridelimousines.com.au
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The information provided by you is very helpful for me. I am looking for travel and your post really helped me. Thank you very much for this informative post.

Wild54Pe

Mar 8, 2012
the US until 31 December 2006.
jie2.jpg
jie3.jpg

jie1.jpg

riktravel

Jun 1, 2012
Requisites for a minor

1. Two copies of the first pages of the passport (Plus the passport itself)
2. 2 copies of the birth certificate (Plus the Original)
3. 2 copies of the Visa or Resident card ((Photo copies of both sides of the Resident card.
4. 2 copies of both sides of the tourist card. (Plus the original)
5. 2 copies of the last entry into the DR
6. 2 photos 2 x 2, and two stamps of RD$30.00 for each minor
7. If the minor is travelling on a Birth Certificate, 2 photocopies of each side of the BC.

Hey Dude This type's advised is very useful for us. I think every point is important for a good and successful trip. Really great work by you.
Thank you so much.