Rescue of two miners in Dominican Republic could take weeks

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Mineros-atrapados-Cerro-Maimo-Hoy-1024x604.png

Corporacion Minera Dominicana (Cormidom), president Paul Marinko could not give a date for the rescuing of the two miners caught underground after rocks collapsed in the copper and zinc mine in central Monseñor Nouel province on Sunday, 31 July 2022. The mine is Chinese-owned.

The miners caught underground are mine assistant 28-year old Gregory Mendez Torres, a native of same Monseñor Nouel province, and Colombian mining expert 40-year old Carlos Yepez Ospina.

The rock fall occurred on level 215 where the miners were working at 1:10am.

Marinko said Yepez and Méndez are receiving food and beverages. He said they have enough air to keep them in good condition underground. Both are in good health and spirits, said the company. As proof, a photograph of both taken on Tuesday, 2 August 2022 in which they were smiling was presented.

Yepez’s wife arrived from Colombia...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I wonder if that is a picture of the actual mine?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
In the story there is a link to the mining company website. There you can see photos of the actual mine.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Hope the miners are rescued soon. My heart sank when I read the mine is Chinese owned. This country is losing its sovereignty.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Hope the miners are rescued soon. My heart sank when I read the mine is Chinese owned. This country is losing its sovereignty.
believe you me, they are paying a huge amount of taxes to the Dominican Republic for their mining rights. This way the D.R does not have to put out the billions for the equipment and expertise and at the same time get a percentage of the product being exploited. I pray for these miners as well, it takes a special kind of man not to go insane being trapped in such a situation. They have been located and will most likely survive but will never be the same.

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Why are they calling in experts in mining from all the US, Australia,, Canada, Mexico and Peru?
Where are the "Chinese" experts who own this disaster?
I'm sure the Chinese are worried more about how much the rescue is costing them, than the two men.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Why are they calling in experts in mining from all the US, Australia,, Canada, Mexico and Peru?
Where are the "Chinese" experts who own this disaster?
I'm sure the Chinese are worried more about how much the rescue is costing them, than the two men.
for sure! However, the mining industry is certainly not the only business where cash is king. A successful outcome is of course the right thing to do but it is also less expensive.