Residency after Covid

Dawiky502

Aug 10, 2020
Santiago
Hello All,

I am married to a Dominican, I am from Guatemala and we used to live there until last year. In 2019 due to my travelling job we decided to give Santiago a chance (she is from here) so we rented an apartment here. I still did not apply for residence as I was constantly going back to my home country and other countries. Barely staying here more than 1 month. Now after Covid obviously everything has changed, I've been here since march without possibility of going back to Guatemala since it's all closed over there.

Now I think I am ready to start the residency process in Guatemala, but my wife is pregnant so I really don't want to travel right now and having that risk, she is due in December, so my plan is for me (or my whole family ) to go back until march 2021 and start the visa residency process.

Would this 11-12 month stay put at risk my residency process? (I have no criminal records, I got a bank account here, so does my wife , I also am an investor at a DR company with a foreignor and a Dominican partner).

thanks for any comment

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i don't see a problem witn staying and then fly to Guatemala next March to start the residency process there.
but wait til next week, as the DR is changing it's government this sunday.
on pollititians you never know what new stuff they may have in mind, so next week you should be clear on the answer to your question.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
i don't see a problem witn staying and then fly to Guatemala next March to start the residency process there.
but wait til next week, as the DR is changing it's government this sunday.
on pollititians you never know what new stuff they may have in mind, so next week you should be clear on the answer to your question.
Not likely overstays and foreign residency will be one of the issues Abinader tackles his first few days or months if there are any changes at all.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Exactly.
Covid kerps em busy
And the most important to do first is to decide on the handling of the new schoolyear.
There is actually no need, at least no urgent need, to change anything on the handling if Immigrations in DR.

Reactions: aarhus

Dawiky502

Aug 10, 2020
Santiago
Thank you guys, that makes me more confortable. I am already on overstay anyways, I have called the DGM with my situation and they stated should be fine...but my guess is they all getting changed next week so I am still a bit doubtful on their responses.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Thank you guys, that makes me more confortable. I am already on overstay anyways, I have called the DGM with my situation and they stated should be fine...but my guess is they all getting changed next week so I am still a bit doubtful on their responses.
You are the husband of a your dominican pregnant wife, nothing had will happen to you, unless you rob a bank or such

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
Hello All,

I am married to a Dominican, I am from Guatemala and we used to live there until last year. In 2019 due to my travelling job we decided to give Santiago a chance (she is from here) so we rented an apartment here. I still did not apply for residence as I was constantly going back to my home country and other countries. Barely staying here more than 1 month. Now after Covid obviously everything has changed, I've been here since march without possibility of going back to Guatemala since it's all closed over there.

Now I think I am ready to start the residency process in Guatemala, but my wife is pregnant so I really don't want to travel right now and having that risk, she is due in December, so my plan is for me (or my whole family ) to go back until march 2021 and start the visa residency process.

Would this 11-12 month stay put at risk my residency process? (I have no criminal records, I got a bank account here, so does my wife , I also am an investor at a DR company with a foreignor and a Dominican partner).

thanks for any comment

Hello.

My name is Cynthia Comprés, an immigration attorney at Guzmán Ariza.

According to the law and our experience, no, the 11-12 stay will not be an inconvenience even if you have a valid residency or you stay in the country only 3 weeks a year. And this overstay will not be a problem either. As the residency process starts with a residency visa applied for in your home country, it will be better if you applied for it in March, as there will be documents that have to be issued from there (birth certificate, criminal record..) and waiting for the approval by the Consulate (this takes a month). The fact that you are married to a Dominican is a valid enough reason to apply for the residency, in addition to having a Dominican child that will inherit our nationality; no need for any other proof.

Even if there is a new Government, the process to change the law - and for it to take effect - will take time and I don't believe that by March 2021 is enough time to do this.

Hope it was understandable.

Dawiky502

Aug 10, 2020
Santiago
Thank you Cynthia! This was a great explanation. Guatemala borders are finally opening so I think I will travel to Guatemala for a week in November and come back and ask for the 4 month extension to March and start my residency process then.

What do you think?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thank you Cynthia! This was a great explanation. Guatemala borders are finally opening so I think I will travel to Guatemala for a week in November and come back and ask for the 4 month extension to March and start my residency process then.

What do you think?

I would say that you’re best served by actually going with a lawyer on this! Should make your case easier and faster.

Not to mention all questions that might arise later will have a legit and legally sound answer!

Each case is unique, unlike most people think...

My humbled opinion that is.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I would say that you’re best served by actually going with a lawyer on this! Should make your case easier and faster.

Not to mention all questions that might arise later will have a legit and legally sound answer!

Each case is unique, unlike most people think...

My humbled opinion that is.

That is exactly what I'm going to do. I contacted the offices of Guzman and have an appointment at 11AM today. I want to get legal and get my Haitian kid legal as well.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
there is a very good rumor floating around if you have are the parent of a dominican child and you are not dominican there is going to be a form to fill out giving you residency visa if you agree to support the child till he is 18 ... this is to steam line the process... alot of dead beat dads will not sign that paper

Reactions: Dawiky502

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That is exactly what I'm going to do. I contacted the offices of Guzman and have an appointment at 11AM today. I want to get legal and get my Haitian kid legal as well.
What basis can you use to get DR residency for a Haitian child?

There is a "famous" case of such a failed attempt on Facebook that I won't get into the details of, but it was quite the escapade of intrigue.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Migration will repatriate the undocumented

https://eldia.com.do/migracion-repatria … umentados/

The Director General of Migration, Enrique García, assured that as of next week they will begin to repatriate all undocumented people.

"Anyone who does not have a legal instrument, be it temporary residence, permanent residence or citizenship, will have to leave the Dominican territory," Garcia said.

The head of Migration said that since last March, when the coronavirus pandemic began in the country, operations to deport illegal citizens were paralyzed.

"Starting next week, the repatriations of Haitian citizens who are in illegal conditions in the country will begin," he explained.

The official said that they will enforce the Migration Law, the migration regulations and the Constitution of the Republic.

He also recognized that the main problem at the borders is controlling illegal immigrants.

Regarding the number of people in illegal conditions in the country, he said that it is difficult to calculate it because it is illegal, "we cannot count them." The director general also warned that Venezuelans who are not legalized or in legal immigration process in the country will be repatriated to their nation.

Emphasis

—1— Decision They will
not legalize people who remain in the country irregularly.
—2— Moving
Foreigners will have to regularize their immigration status or they will leave the country.
—3— Mystery
It is not known exactly how many people live illegally in the country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Obviously post 19 above only applies to black and brown people. Only Haitians and Venezuelens and not white people at all.
White people are not included in "all undocumented people".