Residency and citizenship

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Technically, that may be correct. Doesn't work when I try to tell immigration authorities upon my departures.

Lindsey

It is a difficult situation.

We are 'in process' for permanent renewal - the system is slow these days for various reasons
My wife had to leave before the residency card was issued -- all the papers are submitted, just waiting in the final call-in.

AtPOP, they confiscated her expired card (Mar28, expiry) and charged her an overstay.
Technically, she was out of status since the expiry - about 14 days - but she had to pay the full 800 pesos.

We have had posts here about Immigration refusing to honor an 'in process' letter on departure.

Like most things RD, must depend on the day, the person and the weather

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Your cedula is either current or expired. There is no in between if you are trying to travel via an airline and leaving the country through DR customs and immigration.

LTSteve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They look for the residency card on departure - not the cedula

Why one card cannot be used mystifies me - but its a 2 card system

miozio

May 23, 2009
If you don't have residency how could you be legal?!
Well, it's a "permanent residency" we have...... that is "expired"

Here is the reference: DR1 - Legal "If five years elapse after a permanent residence card has expired, technically the applicant loses his residency. Exceptions have been known to be made. "

Ours expired in September 2013 - 7 months ago. We "technically" haven't lost it...

My question is, are we illegal?

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would watch the new law on this one.....

the one that says if you are ABSENT from the country fro more than 6 months, you lose your residency validity

New rule....

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I would watch the new law on this one.....

the one that says if you are ABSENT from the country fro more than 6 months, you lose your residency validity

New rule....

Just to clarify, this six month maximum absence rule applies only to foreigners IN THE PROCESS of obtaining a residency permit. It does not apply to those who already have valid permits. Here's the law:

Secci?n XIII...

ART?CULO 85.- Los Extranjeros que est?n en proceso de obtenci?n de una residencia
temporal o permanente en la Rep?blica Dominicana, podr?n obtener permiso de reentrada
cuando, estando en el pa?s, deban salir al extranjero por causa determinada, estando a?n su
expediente de solicitud de residencia en proceso para su expedici?n.

P?RRAFO.- Un Extranjero en proceso de expedici?n de residencia temporal o permanente no
podr? ausentarse del territorio nacional por per?odos superiores a seis (6) meses. Pasado este
tiempo, sin causa justificada, si el Extranjero regresare al pa?s, deber? reiniciar el procedimiento
de solicitud de residencia sometiendo toda la documentaci?n requerida al efecto y enunciado en
los art?culos relativos a la residencia.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
But that is all of 2 years old. There is constant talk that it is ever changing. Could something that old be valid?
I think that this was really the big change.. that one could not apply for residency from within the DR any more. The rest of the requirements were pretty much the same.

I have not heard of any OTHER changes except for the new regularization which will give an opportunity for all those illegals who have been here since before last year a chance to get legal. The legislation for that has not yet been passed.

But I am not the expert.

B

baje

Could someone advise, who's maybe had a medical for residency what is the acceptable form. I've been told from one law firm it's possible to have the tests done in my country and have the results and letter prepared by my doctor. Then I've been told the complete opposite by another law firm there stating that it had to be done in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do it in the DR regardless of what they say. You can ask someone at Migracion to recommend a Dr.

Do it in the DR regardless of what they say. You can ask someone at Migracion to recommend a Dr.

I didn't need a DR to do the Medical for the year residency, you just go to the places they tell you to go for the Chest Xray, blood and ****, no?!
The only medical note I needed was for the 90 residency you get before you come to the Country, so I did that in my own Country since I needed all the stuff done before I got to the DR.

Baje what residency part are you talking about?

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Need to review my residency

But that is all of 2 years old. There is constant talk that it is ever changing. Could something that old be valid?

I have the same question. Our residency is due to be renewed in early July and I am having trouble figure out how. Is the what was posted 2 years ago, still accurate?

Any help is appreciated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
is this a temp residency or a perm?

I just renewed my perm..... original in 2008, perm in 2009 (old rules) and renewed every 2 yrs along the way, w/o any testing :

this time, new rules, we needed tests again... blood, urine, x-ray.... and got a 4yr term.

past 10yrs of residence and the current rules waive the tests

is how I understand it.

2 trips to renew - 1st to apply and be tested, 2nd for tarjeta issuance.... Pain in the a$$

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Renewing Definitive Residency

is this a temp residency or a perm?

I just renewed my perm..... original in 2008, perm in 2009 (old rules) and renewed every 2 yrs along the way, w/o any testing :

this time, new rules, we needed tests again... blood, urine, x-ray.... and got a 4yr term.

past 10yrs of residence and the current rules waive the tests

is how I understand it.

2 trips to renew - 1st to apply and be tested, 2nd for tarjeta issuance.... Pain in the a$$

---
Thanks, that is helpful. I am in the same situation, renewing perm residency?thought it would be a one day renewal like last time but guess not.

Can anyone tell me how much it costs to do with without a lawyer?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Praising the Law?

I'm looking into citizenship in the DR.

(Even!) I have considered that also... ;)
Should even be easy as I am married 'against' a Dominicana. :rolleyes:

However, two reasons held me back from making that 'mistake:

1. Germany does not allow dual citizenship. Not in my case anyway.

2. As they would want me to sing the Dominican anthem with the line
"Y es su escudo invencible: el derecho..." my voice would most probably fail me... :tired:

donP