Residency/Citizenship & Canadian Police Report

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Apostille...
She suggested a translation in SD

She also agreed that a Cdn police report won't be necessary.... since I am a resident since 2008.

However, Buster Gringo suggested it and given the changing nature of Immigration....
I decided to double down on security....
$70CAD for the fingerprints and $100USD for the Consulate

They stamped the back of my birth certif and the RCMP report....

Thanks WW. Thank goodness you got the cdn police report as I have been asked for UK one by the Ministry and have been here as a resident since 2001. Translations in SD are US$800 a page, plus the cost for legalizing the translation c RD$600 I think.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hopefully, my lawyer will do the translation... we go back a long way.

It was Buster who wanted me to get the ;insurance;....
and then you (I think ) posted that that the website had removed everything.

Luckily, my lawyer is there every day and is on the inside.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The problem here is that you never know what "they" are going to ask for. Sometimes, even documents they don't ask for become important mid-process. For Canadians living here, being asked for an RCMP Check is a real pain in the butt. It is theoretically possible to have finger prints taken at PN HQ in SD and then sent to Canada, digitized and a record check application submitted and the resulting document sent to you here in the DR.

This is a costly and time intensive process. The prints taken here and submitted need to be almost perfect to be accepted. Getting anything almost perfect here is a gamble right down to convincing the fingerprint guy to fill out their personal info on the required forms you need from Canada. In many processes both immigration related and others, the phrase, "we are waiting for an Interpol check to come back" is heard. At least for Canadians, Canadian Interpol does not respond to these requests from the DR and never has. Being able to pull a valid record check out of your pocket can save many months of waiting and can be the difference between a process being completed or stalled indefinitely.

If you are in Canada and planning to enter a DR Govt. process here in the near future, spend the $75. I know that for immigration the document is supposed to be apostilled and translated. I have had success with other Ministerios with an original document that wasn't apositlled or translated.

In Canada, it takes about a week from the time you submit to the time you received the record check. To do that from here you are looking at much more time, inconvenience and expense.

Each record check is valid for use here for one year from the date it was issued...generally.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly what the fingerprint office told me... long & tedious.

As to accuracy... I applied my fingers 3-4 times to get the right prints to send off.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certifying what? Apostille, translation, canadian legalization??? Useful to know for people going through the process.

OK Mat, you started me thinking......not easy for me !! Hurts my head.

My invoice reads 'Legalization'.... so I called Toronto just now to ask about the apostille.
We all put great emphasis on that here on DR1

She advised me , No... no apostille needed just the legalization.
Any further verification will be done in Sto Domingo.

The horse's mouth.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Having recently completed the process you can take your original police report to the Canadian Embassy. They will certify/legalize it. Then with an official translation plus the original you go to the Dominican foreign Affairs office where they legalized and stamp both documents. You pay a tax at banco reservas for this. Then off to immigration.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was doing the birth certificate anyway....

The Consulate didn't look for a Cdn legalization/verification.
In fact, I had my birth certificate legalized in POP at the embassy... Toronto pushed it aside.,, no interest
And my lawyer said the same thing... won't fly

Seems to be a different wrinkle every time

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Well today i went to desposit ministerio de interior y policia for citizen and they gave me a list of other requirements.  They are changing the forms requirements ect.. they are now requiring more information on solvency, work contracts, property titles etc.. give them a call or visit  if you are about to start process. They have taken everything off the web. 
Same here. My file was to be deposited 2 weeks ago. They said new requirements: they want proof of solvency and property title. So we gave them that just 2 days ago. Waiting to see if that is now complete, or if they will have additional requirements. ... again. That's why it's better with a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
I was doing the birth certificate anyway....

The Consulate didn't look for a Cdn legalization/verification.
In fact, I had my birth certificate legalized in POP at the embassy... Toronto pushed it aside.,, no interest
And my lawyer said the same thing... won't fly

Seems to be a different wrinkle every time
I'm in the process of resubmitting my file on naturalization (married to a Dominican). Just like WW, I will get a new birth certificate and a new police report from Canada (have to travel to Montreal anyway, so will get those 2 doc. to be safe). The translation and legalisation was done at the consulate the previous time, and that is $$costly. Are you saying I could get this done at the Canadian embasada in SD for less $$??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I recall....Yes.... just go the Consulate

$200 or so total... not cheap but one stop shopping 

Cash only in Toronto 

I am ready to submit according to the girl at the Consulate 

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
As I recall....Yes.... just go the Consulate

$200 or so total... not cheap but one stop shopping 

Cash only in Toronto 

I am ready to submit according to the girl at the Consulate 
Fyi. My file just came back today with new requisitos.. again. My lawyer says MIP is in process of changing/reviewing/adding new requisitos for naturalisation. Now they want a carta de garantia (was never on the list) they want copy of all my passport and they want a reference letter from my bank to confirm how much we have in the bank and they want a document to confirm my canadian pension. Could you believe that bulls&#% ? There's no end to this. And during that time in the campos, the people from next door ( thousands of them) are living illegally, with no problem whatsoever. So more documents, more translations and more cost for us. I'm going to be writing a nice letter to the human rights people, may not do a difference, but it has be be told.

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
William . I have just signed a one year lease on a beautiful home near Cabarette . I have been coming all winter for 3 years . But I am retired and I guess its about time I formalize this . Could you be so kind as to provide your lawyers name , contact info. If I have learned one thing about the D.R. ( or anywhere ! ), it is that paying people for WHO they know has been the wisest choice . Thank you in advance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I learned a new one today....

We are waiting for my 'migratory ' report...
The frequency of my visits, comings and goings.

Seems that is something needed to tabled with the application 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Anyone know of a minimum amount of time that needs to be spent in country to be granted naturalization?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Anyone know of a minimum amount of time that needs to be spent in country to be granted naturalization?

It depends which type of naturalization you are going for. If you are married to a Dominican it is 6 months, if not it is two years.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I learned a new one today....

We are waiting for my 'migratory ' report...
The frequency of my visits, comings and goings.

Seems that is something needed to tabled with the application 

There are lot more things now - check the post by Moro which has a whole new list.

Matilda

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
First, I am not Canadian. I'm a US citizen. But I will probably pursue citizenship soon so I went to the website and downloaded the pdf with the list of things they want. Everything that has been mentioned is on the list along with some other things. I just read it. I didn't translate it, but it looks like if I haven't left the country for five years that I will not need a document from my home country to prove good conduct. Also, I probably won't need the migration thing either. I own my condo so that should take care of my solvency. Other than a brand new apostilled birth certificate, I don't see a problem. I'm wrong? Help?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Seems my application is in order when this arrives...

Odd that the government waits for another government form ....c'est la vie