residency denied !!!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
the persons denied have always had there residencias and visas, since first came here.

they just went to renew them.

the thread was in fact just started to let everyone know about the situation and maybe to get someones attention of the unfair and illogical treatment that foreigners are experiencing and as i can see there are actually a few that understand the fact that if you have invested money and work/life wise they should not be allowed to just deny your right to live the country that is your home. for the ignorants who don't should just keep there bs for them self.

also if you would have read the whole thing i clearly stated that if it is your first time that you apply and they deny the visa because of illness or whatever it would be totally acceptable, but not after living in the country for 20 years then get cancer, and then the country decides oh no, we dont want you anymore but hey thanks for feeding all these workers, paying taxes and investing so much money and confidence in our great country but you must go now.

So everyone who doesn't agree that a Sovreign Nation has the right to decide at any time how many foreigner it will allow to live within its borders is now an "ignorant"? You did not arrive as a conquering hero but as a guest and as long as you and your "acquaintances" reside there you do so as a privilege, not a right, at the leisure of that Sovreign Government.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
the peter brunck thing is nationwide news, random friends in la vega are asking me if i knew the german guy with more armaments than the president.. i assume that things are going to get a lot harder nowadays for people trying to live here long term, i doubt it will have much if any impact on tourist revenue, which is all that matters really.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
So everyone who doesn't agree that a Sovreign Nation has the right to decide at any time how many foreigner it will allow to live within its borders is now an "ignorant"? You did not arrive as a conquering hero but as a guest and as long as you and your "acquaintances" reside there you do so as a privilege, not a right, at the leisure of that Sovreign Government.

One of the points trying to be made is:

Once you are accepted, you should not later be kicked out because you got sick.
Should the U.S. kick out all the Dominicans that have gotten sick since their acceptance to the U.S.?

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
my question is first, where is it WRITTEN that allows the goverment to deny their visa for those reasons,...

Not at all written down. But if someone in a position to do it wants good deals, they'd look for aged, sick propietarios who can be made to sell out quick and cheap.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
One of the points trying to be made is:

Once you are accepted, you should not later be kicked out because you got sick.
Should the U.S. kick out all the Dominicans that have gotten sick since their acceptance to the U.S.?

The U. S. kicks out Dominicans on a daily basis, and for many varying reasons. We get kicked out for drug dealing, theft, murder and for driving drunk of all things. Nevertheless we hardly get deported for being terminally ill or overstaying our visas, mainly because most Dominicans arrive with their immigration papers already in order. Thus, once Dominicans are within the continental United States, there's hardly any need for us to face immigration personnel again.

If a Dominican becomes terminally ill, immigration never gets wind of this, saving us the hassle of being deported. Moral of the story, if there is one, expats put your papers in order, before becoming terminally ill, this way government officials won't ever know you suffer from a disease that would hinder you from staying within the country.

Aug 21, 2007
The U. S. kicks out Dominicans on a daily basis, and for many varying reasons. We get kicked out for drug dealing, theft, murder and for driving drunk of all things. Nevertheless we hardly get deported for being terminally ill or overstaying our visas, mainly because most Dominicans arrive with their immigration papers already in order. Thus, once Dominicans are within the continental United States, there's hardly any need for us to face immigration personnel again.

If a Dominican becomes terminally ill, immigration never gets wind of this, saving us the hassle of being deported. Moral of the story, if there is one, expats put your papers in order, before becoming terminally ill, this way government officials won't ever know you suffer from a disease that would hinder you from staying within the country.

Yes, of course you are correct. But in the DR, first there is temporary residency, then permanent. Each must periodically be renewed, along with the physical. Thus, the opportunity for rejection by DR immigration for medical reasons occurs over and over again.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
And...those committing crimes as a guest in another country SHOULD be "kicked out" and sent home, no matter whether it is the US, the DR, or any country in the world.

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I have said before, "Permanent Residency" in RD is a misnomer.

Any time you need to renew, that cannot be called "Permanent", all residency status here is in temporary form until citizenship.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
What I don't understand is why somebody will spend 10, 20 or 30 years in a country and never become a citizen of that country!

If you are not a citizen of that country you can't complain when you are kicked out because you are a guest.

It is like Dominicans living here in the USA since they are toddlers, and never become citizen, and later get deported for a minor violation. I don't feel sorry for them. Why they didn't apply for citizenship when they had the chance!

Immigration laws are always changing and getting hard in every country around the world, that's why if you can get citizenship without losing your birth citizenship, why not get it?

I understand that some countries won't allow dual citizenship like Germany and The Netherlands, but American, British and Canadian have no excuse.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Yes, of course you are correct. But in the DR, first there is temporary residency, then permanent. Each must periodically be renewed, along with the physical. Thus, the opportunity for rejection by DR immigration for medical reasons occurs over and over again.

Lindsey

Hardly an argument Lindsey, considering that most expats on this forum have lived their lives one winter in paradise at a time, for well over 5 years. All the while overstaying their visas, now it has all caught up with them. People should have made arrangements to go through this "periodical" ordeal you speak of, hence saving themselves all this hassle in the first place.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
. if you have invested money and work/life wise they should not be allowed to just deny your right to live the country that is your home.

then the country decides oh no, we dont want you anymore but hey thanks for feeding all these workers, paying taxes and investing so much money and confidence in our great country but you must go now.

You say "deny your right to live in the country that is your home". Is this true, are they being denied the right to continue to live in the DR? In other words, have they been told they must leave the country?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have a permanent residency here.............
Will I have to take a medical in 2 years when I have to renew........
Still don't understand the new rules..........

B in Santiago

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You say "deny your right to live in the country that is your home". Is this true, are they being denied the right to continue to live in the DR? In other words, have they been told they must leave the country?

Nobody's going anywhere unless they want to.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first, guys, let us not go crazy here over "why they did not become citizens". there are plenty of gringos here who in the same time frame never bothered to get a residency, let alone citizenship.
some nations do not allow two passports. others frown at helping you in need if you have a double citizenship. some may make it more difficult to receive pension or social help if double citizenship cases. so leave it. i've been here 6 years, i am married to a dominican and will stay here as long as this love exist, till the day i die, maybe. but i am not considering a citizenship. i am a polak. i want to remain polak. i do not need another passport to make my life better.

another issue. americans may be used to a different setup, because their government often goes to extraordinary lengths in order to help them and protect them. but in reality the "system" is not there FOR the people. the main goal is to protect the nation and not the individuals. this is how things work. there is no soul or compassion. only rules and regulation.

lastly, to compare it with less cilivilized country than USA: there are two big cases in PL right now. one is a dude who had a huge financial business offering high CD rates based on gold investment. he went bankrupt and let thousand of folks in dire straits. he was only arrested after a huge media campaign uncovering his connections to the government, his financial records and info on other companies he started, under his wife's name, after the bankruptcy. and then is a story about single mother who owed some small cash (about 500 dollars), did not pay, did not show up to court and was eventually arrested by the police, in her home, in the presence of her small kids. they only let her stay to see the kids taken to the orphanage before whisking her to prison.

it is not fair. that's all.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Were these people given specific reasons for the rejection? Is there an obligation by the DR Immigration folks to do so?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
don't keep making stupid comparisons to the US ,there are atleast one million Dominicans in the US and 72% of them are getting some form of welfare, foreighners in this country only pump money into the system and for that we get treated very unfairly especially by the so called judicial system.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Playing God

I doubt that people who apparently are terminal cancer cases would be good candidates for residency anywhere.

IMO, it all depends whom and what we are talking about.

1. Let's face it. We all shall die. Most likely from some illness in later years. So, do you accept, that some MdG doctor (Do we know whether he is really a 'medico'?) can deny you a renewal of your residency (which, let us assume you have held for 20 years) because you have some cancer (as we know is not contageous)?

2. Is this 'doctor's' decision bound by any rules, list of illnesses, a second opinion?

3. Breast cancer in women, colon cancer in men.
Throw them out, yeah....

Ken, I wish you an old age in good health.

donP