Residency renewal

nml57

Feb 22, 2005
Six hours - pure, unmitigated torture! It's always baffled me, too, how long you have to wait from submitting the papers to just paying.

It seems like 3 hours is pretty average for time spent spinning your wheels in DGM. I wonder if there have been any reports from people who have submitted their paperwork first in Pto. Plata saving some time wasted waiting in DGM?

I think you might have a good plan there. I always spend the night in SD anyway. Maybe next time I'll show up at DGM early afternoon(like you said, it's usually slower)then, and just plan on the fact that I might have to finish the process the next day(?).

i think you are right
today Monday march 19 th waited from 10:20 to 13:50 to submit documents then from 13:50 to 15:20 to pay
walked out with new residencia at 16:15.

when i arrived they were serving 027 and my bolete was 055... at 12:00 lunch time until 12:30 then serving 040. so maybe Monday is not the best day and next year i will arrive at 12:30

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
i think you are right
today Monday march 19 th waited from 10:20 to 13:50 to submit documents then from 13:50 to 15:20 to pay
walked out with new residencia at 16:15.

when i arrived they were serving 027 and my bolete was 055... at 12:00 lunch time until 12:30 then serving 040. so maybe Monday is not the best day and next year i will arrive at 12:30

Unreal. That's one of the longest days spent in DGM that I've heard of. And 3 and a half hours just to submit your docs. Like I said - pure, unmitigated torture!

Did you submit all your documents at one of the regional DGM's first? It doesn't sound like it since it is my understanding that you also pay at those regional offices and skip that step(?).

I'm thinking about submitting my docs first in Pto, Plata in hopes that I will get through everything at DGM in SD faster.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Reporting Back

My lawyer got #15 just before 8am... I showed up at 9.We were seen at 9:40

The wait for approval and assignation to medical is 2hrs +.

I went off to my errands returning at 11:10...
11:25 we were called.

There are 4 labs... one is just across the street but it's like a Lotto....
Mine was waaaay back towards the Zona Colonial (where wifey was waiting , so not so bad) with errands done

I was on the road - done by 12:30pm.... incl a 20-25 minute drive to the lab.

No waiting at lab -- staright in & out.... Urine, blood, X-Ray

The one new wrinkle is they keep your residency card.... until the new one is issued.

And make no mistake about....
Immigration is tougher - yes, people are being turned away.

The staff behind the windows is younger.....by a lot.

And the new Jeffa - although projecting a sweetness.... ain't so sweet, they say
Tough, tough , tough.....

So done.

They say the wait time is quite predictable at 10-12 days for approval.
Naturally, I'll get scooped up in Semana Santa...so can add a few days

Unless they have a push and empty the bin BEFORE the holidays...... ????

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
From the PC /Bavaro area we did the medical today on the residency renewal. Keep in mid it took over 2 weeks to get This point checking with the DGM office every couple days.
We started today at DGM in PC and paid the 4500 medical and 12,000 renewal.
Got the receipt and the address for medical office in Higuey
The process for the peepee test, 2 vials of blood, chest xray and doctor consultation took over 6 hours. A bit painful at times but it is now done.
Now we wait the required 2 weeks and if all goes right drive to SD pick up the new cards, then drive to the cedula place, spend a few more pesos, then head home with both new residency and cedula cards.
I will let you know what happens once we get notified.
Wish us luck!!!
For the record this is the 3rd renewal without a lawyer and pigeon Spanish. It has been completely different all 3 times.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
melphis, thanks for the progress reports. It is just wonderful how the process changes all the time. At least one fewer trip to Santo Domingo is now needed since much can be done in Puerto Plata for renewals on the north coast. I hope the residency card can still be picked up on the same day as the cedula.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
From the PC /Bavaro area we did the medical today on the residency renewal. Keep in mid it took over 2 weeks to get This point checking with the DGM office every couple days.
We started today at DGM in PC and paid the 4500 medical and 12,000 renewal.
Got the receipt and the address for medical office in Higuey
The process for the peepee test, 2 vials of blood, chest xray and doctor consultation took over 6 hours. A bit painful at times but it is now done.
Now we wait the required 2 weeks and if all goes right drive to SD pick up the new cards, then drive to the cedula place, spend a few more pesos, then head home with both new residency and cedula cards.
I will let you know what happens once we get notified.
Wish us luck!!!
For the record this is the 3rd renewal without a lawyer and pigeon Spanish. It has been completely different all 3 times.
You can also get your cedula in Veron at the JCE. No line when I went, in and out in under 15 minutes. 1,000 pesos cash per year of validity of your residency card.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
You can also get your cedula in Veron at the JCE. No line when I went, in and out in under 15 minutes. 1,000 pesos cash per year of validity of your residency card.

Thanks for that tip. Exactly where is the JCE office in Veron and this might sound silly but do they work with non Dominicans. A few years ago there was a JCE office in Bavaro but they only issued cards to Dominican citizens not residents

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks for that tip. Exactly where is the JCE office in Veron and this might sound silly but do they work with non Dominicans. A few years ago there was a JCE office in Bavaro but they only issued cards to Dominican citizens not residents
I renewed mine there a few months ago. It's next to the new ayuntamiento building behind Ciudad del Sol. When you're heading towards Veron on Ave. Barcelo you'll see speed reductors before you reach Veron, there's a road on the right, when you turn you'll see both buildings further on on your left.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I did my renewal early Feb. Well, to be honest, I didn't do it, the lawyer did. My process is a little different than those with Temporary Residency. I am able to have the lawyer do everything with minimal involvement from me. Via email, I submit copies of my cards, passport and few bank statements to the lawyer and that's it.

Lawyer got the deportation insurance, did all the logistical paperwork and told me what day to come and get the new cards. No medical is required for my residency class and I do not have to give up my actual cards until I go to trade them for new ones.

I was surprised to hear from a recent poster that they had to turn in their residency card while the process of renewal continued. This appears to be a flaw, in that if you are not in possession of a residency card and have to leave the country suddenly due to an illness or some such thing, you'll be compelled to pay the exit charges with no practical way of getting those refunded later. In my case, that would amount to significant chunk of change that I'm not obligated to pay but without my card, wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Clearly residency is still a hodgepodge of programs and varying requirements that change regularly. I'm glad I had the foresight to consult a lawyer before applying and specifically requesting a classification that requires the fewest external documents, requirements and personal involvement in the ongoing process of maintaining residency.

If I lived near SD I would probably attempt renewal on my own once just for the experience but since I live a long way away, it's just not practical and I have no interest in doing this myself. I have learned, with a lawyer, if I am asked to do something odd or inconvenient either due to incompetence at DGM or a changing requirement, I just have to tell the lawyer NO and that inconvenience seems to go away. The poster who had to give up their residency card, next time should say NO and offer a photocopy only until it's time to get the new card. I suspect, that card should not have been retained in the first place. Never heard of anyone else having to do that before.

For me, the process is straightforward and fairly painless because I choose not to play the renewal game. I offer money to get someone else to do the work and deal with the stupid bureaucracy. Thus far on renewal day, I just have to give up 12 hours of my time to go pick up those stupid cards which as far as I am concerned should be available from the Puerto Plata office for me to collect. Would save me about 9 hours. Maybe in my next life.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I had turn my residency card in as well. I didn't want to but the process stops if you don't. I hope they don't want it a the cruise ship dock as we are taking a one week trip this weekend.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as I reported - a new rule

they hold it during the final stage of renewal
so new that my lawyer called during my physical to make sure ...

another brand new one....

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I had turn my residency card in as well. I didn't want to but the process stops if you don't. I hope they don't want it a the cruise ship dock as we are taking a one week trip this weekend.

as I reported - a new rule

they hold it during the final stage of renewal
so new that my lawyer called during my physical to make sure ...

another brand new one....

Renewed mine October 2016 and they kept my residencia card the final stage.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A friend of mine in Cabarete renewed his temporary residency last month. He started by depositing his documents and paying at DGM in Pto. Plata. That only took him about 20 minutes there.

When he went to DGM in SD, he just had to present his documents(again), get finger prints and foto taken, and wait to receive his residency card. Maybe he was lucky that day, but he was in and out in less than and hour and a half.

Overall time saved, considering time spent going to Pto. Plata, is probably negligible. Well worth it though IMO if one can avoid the usual 3 and 1/2+ hours spent at DGM in SD. I'm planning on giving it a try next month.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I just changed my category from temporary to permanent, finally got the letter of approval - took 2+ months. Then to POP to get papers, scan and send the letter, now wait to be called to pay and to get medical. When I asked if I will have my card by May 5th, the answer was a clear 'no.' They told me the process of changing category takes 90 days not including holidays or weekend; in other words, 4 months. VIP is 45 days not including weekends or holidays. However, not a problem. I will get a receipt and can show that upon departure to passport control and as well when I return. Then I only need to go to SD to pick up my card and go for cedula. The renewal date will be one year (provisional for first permanent) from the day I get the card and from then on it doesn't take long at all to renew, so I was told. If I read above correctly, they don't take your current residency card until you get the new one? Can someone confirm that so when I leave I can show my expired card and also the receipt. Thx so much

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They might confiscate the expired card... they did with my wife's.
Then you need to file a lost card report with the [police.... while the expired card actually returns to your file in SD

Hard to believe - but I saw it with my own eyes.

Yes, they take the old card in the final stages - happened to me Tuesday & is reported above.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They might confiscate the expired card... they did with my wife's.
Then you need to file a lost card report with the [police.... while the expired card actually returns to your file in SD

Hard to believe - but I saw it with my own eyes.

Yes, they take the old card in the final stages - happened to me Tuesday & is reported above.

They also take a print out of your case number if your card was surrendered for renewal

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I just changed my category from temporary to permanent, finally got the letter of approval - took 2+ months. Then to POP to get papers, scan and send the letter, now wait to be called to pay and to get medical. When I asked if I will have my card by May 5th, the answer was a clear 'no.' They told me the process of changing category takes 90 days not including holidays or weekend; in other words, 4 months. VIP is 45 days not including weekends or holidays. However, not a problem. I will get a receipt and can show that upon departure to passport control and as well when I return. Then I only need to go to SD to pick up my card and go for cedula. The renewal date will be one year (provisional for first permanent) from the day I get the card and from then on it doesn't take long at all to renew, so I was told. If I read above correctly, they don't take your current residency card until you get the new one? Can someone confirm that so when I leave I can show my expired card and also the receipt. Thx so much

Would you mind posting a more detailed account of the process to go from temporary to permanent ?

I will be doing so next year, so very intrested :). Thanks.

Is there a date limit ( like 30 days before the expiracion of the last temporary residence ) ?
Or can i start the process 3 months before end of current residency ?

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I had mine done. I still am not competent with the language and am sure would create problems for myself if I tried it alone. I paid a lawyer 800usd and it went smooth. I hope that price is not over the top, I hate overpaying. It was my third permanent renewal. I do worry that this is a simple procedure that the inexperienced gets hammered financially on. But I have seen more variants on the explanations of the process and requirements than a Rubicks cube. Also have seen wild price variations. I did it in two appointments that took about two hours each time. I did like the area of the DGM. In the morning get a nice espresso and a Empanata. Watch a horse graze in the parking lot. Other people waiting were friendly. I think the high price may be associated with payments to "grease the wheels" and expedite the process, just a guess.