Resisdencia

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
My experience... as the previous comments suggest, your mileage may vary.... I renewed about 9 months ago and I am not aware of any changes to the process since then.

If you can survive the process of getting residency, then you can survive living here....

First 1-year temporary, you need a lawyer, sponsor, med test, birth certifcate (they will keep it), statement from the police, photos, and about $1000 for everything.

Second 1-year temporary, exact same process as the first, still need a lawyer

First Permament and subsequent renewals... You can do it yourself and unless there is an issue with your police record, you will not have any issue getting it. Pay the few extra Pesos for the VIP service.

Your need a cedula and it needs to be current. Non-citizens need to renew cedulas every two years.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
an addy to the Cedula/Residency renewals:
the Residency needs to get renewed Prior to expiration, so start the process 5-6 weeks prior to the date.
Cedula can NOT be renewed before expired.

as I had that thingy last week with my Partner and wife, here's my Tip:
start the Residency renewal 5-6 weeks prior to the expiration date(Residency and Cedula of the temporary ones expire on the same date), you get the "notification" that your new residency is ready to ne renewed/picked up. then wait the other still missing week or two to do so til your cedula expired, so you can do both in one sweep/travel.

been important in my Partner's case, as they travel for that from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo, a day out of the house and away from work. they went for the Residency right when notified that it is ready, and received it, the same day they went to the Junta Electoral to also renew their (same date) expiring Cedula and been told they have to come back in two weeks as their actual Cedula still did not pass the expiration date.
yes, they've been quiet pi$$ed about such "ruling", next week they will do a second Ride to La Capital to get the Cedula, too.

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My experience... as the previous comments suggest, your mileage may vary.... I renewed about 9 months ago and I am not aware of any changes to the process since then.

If you can survive the process of getting residency, then you can survive living here....

First 1-year temporary, you need a lawyer, sponsor, med test, birth certifcate (they will keep it), statement from the police, photos, and about $1000 for everything.

First Permament and subsequent renewals... You can do it yourself and unless there is an issue with your police record, you will not have any issue getting it. Pay the few extra Pesos for the VIP service.

Your need a cedula and it needs to be current. Non-citizens need to renew cedulas every two years.

Boy are you in for a surprise for your next residency renewal.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

forgot to add that in my above post.
the 2nd renewal for the 2nd year of 1-yer residency costs less than 5.000.- Pesos, no Lawyer fees or such included, but not needed anyways.
requisits to do so been
* original of old residency(the 1st 1 year residency which is close to expiration)
* old (still valid for a couple weeks) Cedula(finally nobody asked about that one)
* present the original of the foreign Passport
* el papelito de bueno raises/the Bank Conduct paper
nothing further, zero that needs to be translated or apostolized or such.
fees all together been around 4 thousand something, less than 5000 pesos per person

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
darn,
an other addy, i seem to forget lot these days on a simple posting.
the renewd Residency is again a Temporary Residency valid for 1 year,
no chance to apply for a permanent one right away after just one year of temporary residency.

Mike

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Renewal Experience

Maybe this just applies to longtimers (20 yrs +)
8:15 At imigration office
9:00 Arrival of top honcho to sign papers
9:15 Got application form, filled it out and gave it back (100.00)
9:30 Paid renewal fee for 4 years (8,000.00) + 1,000.00 VIP
10:25 Got my new residence card.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
When did you do this exactly?
No medical or anything else in the new law was required?
Did the law change again in the last few weeks?
Maybe this just applies to longtimers (20 yrs +)
8:15 At imigration office
9:00 Arrival of top honcho to sign papers
9:15 Got application form, filled it out and gave it back (100.00)
9:30 Paid renewal fee for 4 years (8,000.00) + 1,000.00 VIP
10:25 Got my new residence card.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When did you do this exactly?
No medical or anything else in the new law was required?
Did the law change again in the last few weeks?
Last Tuesday
No medical nor anything else
They had me on file for the past 20 years.
I'd like to hear from other "Old timers"
I might add that the service was fast and professional.

No, no one even suggested a "Christmas Donation" :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Last Tuesday

As we all learn about the DR, the next person with exactly the same history of being in the DR is very likely to have a completely different result than Eddy.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Last Tuesday

Great!

But, was it not a thread earlier about "all records" were accidently deleted? Or maybe that was for the Cedulas. My cedula is in their register online, so does that mean my records are there?

No medical either? Maybe they just saw your healthy presence, so no need for x-rays... :)

Great with everone sharing their experience, good or bad.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Update to my 11/10th entry. I had to make one extra trip to SD because my guarantor letter was not in the form Immigration wanted. No problem, got it handled. Now my paperwork is all done and I have my # and approval of paperwork and I wait. They say they are quite busy and it could take 4 months. The person assisting me will go to SD and check with them, he says, mid January. So far I'm very pleased, hope it continues that way. Any particular questions you can either post or PM me.