Respect or Resent?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I include citizens of other countires in addition to the US in this = Do Dominicans in general respect or resent Americans for what they have accomplished?? I feel that respect has dropped a lot due to familiarity and the influx of certain types of visitors & immigrants. Also there appears to be a geographic basis as in Santiago generally respect while Sosua generally resent (contempt). I guess the feet of clay syndrome combined with Sosua has had a large influx of people from all over the country who are really not from Sosua as other areas such as Bavaro.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't think Dominicans resent what Americans have accomplished necessarily as many aren't even sure what it is. At least out of the tourist areas Americans are generally respected but also too there is disdain for the seemingly commonplace arrogant attitude, quick temper and being very cheap. In the tourist areas they respected much less because they are considered drunks and whoremongers. I know the latter is hypocritical given that so may Dominican guys are the same way but it's the feeling I get when I've talked to Dominicans in this area. Nonetheless, this attitude isn't necessarily on display otherwise the gringos would never come back. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
chip states

Nonetheless, this attitude isn't necessarily on display otherwise the gringos would never come back.

i hardly agree that gringos care what other people thought about them. if they did, they would try to be less objectionable.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i hardly agree that gringos care what other people thought about them.

I'm saying Dominicans don't necessarily let gringos know what they really think of them.

I think it fairly obvious that a lot of gringos could give a rat's ass as to what the locals think of them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
An example of the attitude toward foreigners is when I met my wife at the Santiago airport and asked her for her address when she went home to Moca she told her family about me and they all told her to forget about me because gringos don't marry Dominicans they only get them pregnant then leave.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Creating a country from scratch that has evolved and tried to remedy wrongs. Providing the best life for the most people while doing so.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
An example of the attitude toward foreigners is when I met my wife at the Santiago airport and asked her for her address when she went home to Moca she told her family about me and they all told her to forget about me because gringos don't marry Dominicans they only get them pregnant then leave.

i thnk this is one of the reasons why there are so many sanki-women; they all think gringos are coming to play (sometimes pay :p) so they make sure they get all they can, the problem is someone usually falls in love, the one who doesnt is the bad one in most cases the sanki.
i heard many times and many people saying dont get involved with these gringos 'cause they dont feel anything... i think is a mix bag

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I dont expect anyone to respect me ......just as well really lol

It's relatively easy to garner respect; learn from the locals: be courteous, patient, unhurried and don't let your discontent show on your face. Also, always say hi to people you meet even if it's on a daily basis, anything else is considered arrogant. While in the West keeping to one's self is respected here it is seen as aloof and elitist. I did it all wrong just like the majority of gringos until I finally figured it out. Makes life a whole lot more relaxing and enjoyable believe it or not saying greeting people on a daily basis.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Creating a country from scratch that has evolved and tried to remedy wrongs. Providing the best life for the most people while doing so.

I'm sorry but did I read this correctly?
You mean like the British "created" India or the Portuguese "created" Brazil or that a bunch of US tourists 'Created" the Dominican Republic?
That without our beneficial influence these poor people would have been lost to the world? Unable to feed themselves ,totally illiterate and anarchically cannibalistic with bones through their noses and waiting for the invention of the wheel?
Good One!

You've only put this post up to get us going haven't you?
Oh, Stop it now!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You mean like the British "created" India or the Portuguese "created" Brazil or that a bunch of US tourists 'Created" the Dominican Republic?
That without our beneficial influence these poor people would have been lost to the world? Unable to feed themselves ,totally illiterate and anarchically cannibalistic with bones through their noses and waiting for the invention of the wheel?
Good One!

Oh, Stop it now!
I don't think he meant that, calm down....geez!
To answer the question,
RESENT

SHALENA

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
Good One!

Oh, Stop it now!
i think he was talking about the us. although i don't get the "trying to correct wrongs" and "providing the best life" part. the last bit might be due to him not having seen much of other developed countries though.
anyways, i don't think dominicans respect americans for what they have accomplished, what ever that might be, if anything they respect them as people. i think there is a lot of resentment though, part of it comes from past us invasions and the us generally meddling in latin american affairs. part of it also comes from gringos not bothering to try and understand dominican ways and culture, not speaking the language correctly, and getting into a fit when things don't work as they do back home. what they do not do in the dr is resent americans for what the op considers their accomplishments, i don't think there is any jealousy for american wealth.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a love-hate relationship - admiration and envy/resentment at the same time.

A lot of people desire emigration to the US and/or acquisition of US-style status symbols, but many (regardless of politics) will also express admiration for figures who they perceive to have challenged the US - like Castro or Caama?o, and in extreme cases even the Taliban, Sadam Hussein and Hitler.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I don't think he meant that, calm down....geez!
To answer the question,
RESENT

SHALENA

Now I have to ask: is it the British who resent the Americans or the Dominicans who resent the Americans?

And if we really want to get a good discussion going, ask if the Dominicans respect or resent the Dominican Yorks.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
To clarify I was referring to the United States of America. I think in general Dominicans respect/admire what Americans have accomplished and resent Domini Yorks. The British I am not sure of. Although I must admit when I saw the movie The Patriot I drunk dialed my buddy who has a pub in Tunbridge Wells and turned my wrath on him who in turn did a 4th of July thing. I have lived in developing countires since 1972 but I am not as smart or educated as some of the people here so but it is my opinion.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
To clarify I was referring to the United States of America. I think in general Dominicans respect/admire what Americans have accomplished and resent Domini Yorks.

Dominicans generally respect American's work ethic and how organized US is as a whole.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
It's a love-hate relationship - admiration and envy/resentment at the same time.

A lot of people desire emigration to the US and/or acquisition of US-style status symbols, but many (regardless of politics) will also express admiration for figures who they perceive to have challenged the US - like Castro or Caama?o, and in extreme cases even the Taliban, Sadam Hussein and Hitler.

Huh! I was under the impression that the vast majority of US Dominicans really didn't care much for mass-killing and self-mutilation. I'll go out on a limb and speak for all 9,000,000 of us in saying that we don't agree with the Taliban, Sadam Hussein or Hitler's way or doctrine.:laugh:

To answer the OP's question, I "think" there are more of US that respect the Americans, than those that Resent them.