Restaurant Prices Shooting Up

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380. Pechuga a la Plancha for just under RD$ 900. A soda for RD$ 200. bocana.menuseguro.com.do in case anyone doesn't believe me. This place used to be cheap and cheerful, I'm pretty sure they have doubled their prices in the last 12 months. Lunch for four adults and a couple kids came in at a few pesos under RD$ 10,000, and it was basic, nothing to write home about. Small portions, nothing fancy.

A little walk down the beach showed that prices are similar in other places. Today's special of pasta carbonara in one place for "just" RD$ 600 plus tax and service so $768 in total. And in Santo Domingo itself it's the same story. A cuba libre for RD$ 300 plus tax and service in Plaza España so RD$ 384 in total. A pizza in the Conde for RD$ 895 plus tax and service, so RD$ 1145 in total.

Can't see that jacking up the prices this high is going to help bring the tourists back.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380. Pechuga a la Plancha for just under RD$ 900. A soda for RD$ 200. bocana.menuseguro.com.do in case anyone doesn't believe me. This place used to be cheap and cheerful, I'm pretty sure they have doubled their prices in the last 12 months. Lunch for four adults and a couple kids came in at a few pesos under RD$ 10,000, and it was basic, nothing to write home about. Small portions, nothing fancy.

A little walk down the beach showed that prices are similar in other places. Today's special of pasta carbonara in one place for "just" RD$ 600 plus tax and service so $768 in total. And in Santo Domingo itself it's the same story. A cuba libre for RD$ 300 plus tax and service in Plaza España so RD$ 384 in total. A pizza in the Conde for RD$ 895 plus tax and service, so RD$ 1145 in total.

Can't see that jacking up the prices this high is going to help bring the tourists back.
its common and nothing new they keep jacking prices up and thinks they will make money. Not gonna happen. With COVID going on, it's KILLING them. Trust me, DR wont recover Tourism not until about 2023.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Actually, I do not think it is going to bother the tourists.
Going on vacation is like going through the airport and ordering from a chain restaurant.
You know the prices you are being charged are lower outside of the restaurant.
But what do you do when you are hungry.
You pay ‼️
But if restaurants expect to recover if and when the curfew relaxes
A pricing structure similar to what you have described is not going to cut it.
10,000 pesos for lunch🤑
Think I will hire someone to cook for me.
And mix my own drinks.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe

Too bad the prices are rising so strongly ... Often short-sighted policy, the longer term is generally not given enough thought.
I personally enjoy the local restaurants and bars. Also like to come back to the places where the service is nice and friendly.

Reactions: TropicalPaul

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many restaurants are now, because of Covid and the curfews, offering delivery. That could increase demand for many restaurants and it could be reflected in an increase of prices. Like many fast food places which may seem to be getting less business than they are based on in person dining, most of the business could be delivery and pick ups. These places could be making more business than it might be apparent at first.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was in Baileys in Sosua last week for lunch. 595 for chicken fajitas and 190 for a rum and coke. Taxes and "ley" included. Not bad.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
yesterdat my wife and I plus her cousin and his wife went to this restaurant https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=406440606
5500 pesos for a fish each, plus tostados and french fries, 6 beer (small) and 1 juice. 300 peso tip. Another 1000 pesos for the boat taxi and tour of the lake. There were a lot of people there and even more coming as we were leaving at 4 pm. All Dominicans.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

Just like the Mexicans used to do in low season with no-one around.
Rather than having attractive prices to attract business they went,
We have to charge much higher prices because there is no-one around.

Either blow your money if it doesn't matter or,
Go Dominican style, bring your own drinks, food, beach chairs and sit on the beach and enjoy.
Don't worry about tourists coming as the only few are from the US, no other flights.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Supply-Demand, some will walk 3 miles to save 56 pesos. I pay for service, cleanliness and ambiance. With an emphasis on ambiance. 😉