Restaurants in colonial zone

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
A great place for lunch is Omeraliza which is on Arzobispo Nouel near to the corner of Espaillat, opposite Adams Suites hotel. They do a Plato del Dia for 150 and most other options come in under 250. The food looks horrible on the display but tastes delicious. I would definitely give Pat e Palo a miss, it's way too expensive and there are much better value options. Buche Perico at the end of the Conde oppposite Segafredo has already been mentioned and the food prices there are actually very reasonable - many dinner options for under 500. Amazing setting. Don't go at lunchtime as they have hordes of tourists, but dinner is very good. Another evening option is Falafel in Sanchez, opposite Bio Bar. Beautiful courtyard setting and most things on the menu are 300 / 400. And another option is Jalao which is in the Cathedral square where Hard Rock used to be. Food prices are reasonable and it's a great atmosphere with live music and dancing most evenings. Pizza Colonial in Jose Reyes on the corner of Billini is also very reasonable, especially on a Monday when all pizzas are half price. Beautiful setting and proper Italian Pizza (owned by the guy who owns Segafredo).

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Actually Petrus on the Conde near to Payless / Pollo Rey is also another option these days, they seem to have upped their game recently and the lunch buffet for 225 is nice. I would definitely avoid Pollo Rey in the Conde, their food is never good even if you are starving.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
200 - 300 might be tough but add a few pesos more and you can find enough spots to last a few days for your visit. No need to hit the higher end places unless you just want to treat yourself for a night.

Grands (Pacos) on el conde across from parque independencia

Dumbos located on independencia on a 45 degree angle off to the left standing at Grands (Pacos)

Fairly decent Chinese restaurant off on a 45 degree angle to the right standing at Grands (Pacos)

Pollo Victorina on el conde

Villar Hnos you can walk to from the zona if you don't mind a good walk (google the location)

Keep your eye open for a comedor serving plato del dia

Pizza Hut and Papa Johns on Gomez a few blocks below avenida bolivar

Manolos restaurant across the street from the rear entrance of Hotel Jaragua

Just west of Manolos is a nice restaurant serving grill roasted chicken

el nacional supermarket on el conde has small packages of prepared hot food

yes, several I mentioned are not in la zona but as I mentioned if you don't mind a good walk and also get a chance to see other parts of the area you should be fine dining in the 400 pesos price range.

Grands Pacos 150dop Plato del dia until 3:00PM

Villar Hnos has plato del dia but only take out, to dine in is normal prices however 500dop for lunch is about right.

Other comedors in the area as well, but my recommendation, sit in Pacos, its more than just a meal.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Grands Pacos 150dop Plato del dia until 3:00PM

Villar Hnos has plato del dia but only take out, to dine in is normal prices however 500dop for lunch is about right.

Other comedors in the area as well, but my recommendation, sit in Pacos, its more than just a meal.

Be aware that Pacos is a place where you get a lot of prostitutes, male and female. I know for some people the availability of cheap sex is the main draw of Dom Rep, but in case that isn't you, you may be advised to try any of the other places mentioned. I do agree with Mcinbrass that the food in Pacos is nice, and watching the ladies and gentlemen who are looking for business can be entertaining.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
There are plenty of places to eat for under 200 pesos in zona colonial. I have no idea what some of these people are talking about.

1. Patatus on the conde. Decent food nothing costs more than 200 pesos.

2. Next Door is Duos. The plate of the day is 200 or 300 pesos. Everything else is pretty pricey

3. Patatus Fritas. You can get 6 wings, fries, and a soda for 200 pesos

4. Mi Casa something lol-but it's right on the conde and calle espaillat. Buffet style domincan and Cuban food that will cost no more than 200 pesos if that.

5. Mi casa del mojito- another place where you can eat for 200 pesos or less.

6. D Comer Colonial-Everything here is under 200 pesos for a full meal

7. Petrus has a buffet during lunch hours. It's under 200 pesos

8. Theres a pica pollo everywhere (fried chicken and Chinese rice) that's under 200 pesos

9. Cafeteria Dumbo. I don't believe anything here costs over a hundred fifty pesos.

10. I can do this all day but just walk around Zona Colonial and you will find 30 or 40 places where you can eat for dirt cheap. I don't know what these people are in here talking about. And if you go to gasque there's even more options.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Btw villar hermanos is dirt cheap. I just literally spent 562 pesos for 4 people. I dont know why they're saying it would be around 400-500 pesos per person and that included are non-alcoholic. That's ridiculous. I swear I wonder if some of yall really live here lol

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
There are plenty of places to eat for under 200 pesos in zona colonial. I have no idea what some of these people are talking about.

1. Patatus on the conde. Decent food nothing costs more than 200 pesos.

2. Next Door is Duos. The plate of the day is 200 or 300 pesos. Everything else is pretty pricey

3. Patatus Fritas. You can get 6 wings, fries, and a soda for 200 pesos

4. Mi Casa something lol-but it's right on the conde and calle espaillat. Buffet style domincan and Cuban food that will cost no more than 200 pesos if that.

5. Mi casa del mojito- another place where you can eat for 200 pesos or less.

6. D Comer Colonial-Everything here is under 200 pesos for a full meal

7. Petrus has a buffet during lunch hours. It's under 200 pesos

8. Theres a pica pollo everywhere (fried chicken and Chinese rice) that's under 200 pesos

9. Cafeteria Dumbo. I don't believe anything here costs over a hundred fifty pesos.

10. I can do this all day but just walk around Zona Colonial and you will find 30 or 40 places where you can eat for dirt cheap. I don't know what these people are in here talking about. And if you go to gasque there's even more options.

It just came to me for #4. It's called El Palador De More. I swear it's a sign outside that says mi casa something tho

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Be aware that Pacos is a place where you get a lot of prostitutes, male and female. I know for some people the availability of cheap sex is the main draw of Dom Rep, but in case that isn't you, you may be advised to try any of the other places mentioned. I do agree with Mcinbrass that the food in Pacos is nice, and watching the ladies and gentlemen who are looking for business can be entertaining.

I disagree, I don't think its that blatant. If you want to see them you will, if you don't you wont.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Btw villar hermanos is dirt cheap. I just literally spent 562 pesos for 4 people. I dont know why they're saying it would be around 400-500 pesos per person and that included are non-alcoholic. That's ridiculous. I swear I wonder if some of yall really live here lol

562 pesos? Tell us what you had where 11 dollars satisfied 4 people. Maybe I get the gringo price who knows.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I went there a lot of times with wife and kids. No way to feed 4 for 562 pesos. What you got? 4 x white rice for take away? :D

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I had smothered chicken, rice with gravy, potato salad, mixed vegetables.

My friend had some kind of pork, with rice, yuca, and some other stuff, and veggies

My 3rd friend had 3 huge pieces of fried chicken, some sausage looking meat, rice and beans, and something else.

I forgot what Edwin had but it was plentiful.

That also included 3 sodas and 2 malt beverages.

Again I have no idea where you got 400 pesos for one person. We also sat in the garden cafe

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I went there a lot of times with wife and kids. No way to feed 4 for 562 pesos. What you got? 4 x white rice for take away? :D

Believe what you want, as if I have to lie about what I ordered. The fact remains villar hermanos is not 400 pesos per person.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I disagree, I don't think its that blatant. If you want to see them you will, if you don't you wont.

Totally clueless. After 8pm its swarmed with nothing but them since the gay bar around the corner is really popular. Why do yall speak about things yall clearly dont know. TropicalPaul was 100% correct

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Totally clueless. After 8pm its swarmed with nothing but them since the gay bar around the corner is really popular. Why do yall speak about things yall clearly dont know. TropicalPaul was 100% correct

After 8PM the whole country is swarmed w them.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Easily 400 pp especially if you tip, which Im guessing you dont

I very rarely eat at Villar Hnos as their food is OK at best. I don't remember the peso to the penny but around 400 seems to be what I used to spend there for a meal with something to drink and a tip. I am not talking a survival plato del dia meal washing it down with saliva but something halfway decent to enjoy meal.