Retirement visa?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
After 6 years (OK, 2 lost to COVID) and I hate to say how many dollars trying to get residencia, I've given up with my lawyer. Nice lady, but I'm not paying for nice.

I recently read about something called a Retirement Visa. I think it's for US citizens.

I don't own anything. I don't work. My income is derived from marital support after the dissolution of 30-yr marriage and SSA. I rent my apartment. I guess the only reason I want something sort of legal is to not have to pay overstay and to be able to have DR bank account. And to just feel sort-of-legal.

From what I've been able to find, I can do it from here. I think I would need a statement from the US that says Interpol doesn't want me. I think it can be done without a lawyer.

Any info greatly appreciated.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I have been down that road Its a pain in the Bu## To be honest it changes depending upon who you talk to at the office here...

David B

Aug 31, 2017
From what I know, you first have to apply for an old-geezer visa for 30 or 60 days (don't remember which) in your country of origin, which I know from experience is costly and very time-consuming. Then here in the DR you repeat the tedious process for your residency. Basic requirements are good health, proof of solvency and good conduct, and minimum assured retirement income of l$1500 a month. I decided a long time ago to just eat the overstay fees to avoid the hassle. Nobody gives a rip here about illegal gringos who don't cause trouble.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I will probably have to go the US some time this winter anyway, due to unfortunate family issues. I've got the age, the health, the financial solvency, and the good conduct. I guess I just want some kind of validation for my 12+counting years.

Reactions: David B

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
From what I know, you first have to apply for an old-geezer visa for 30 or 60 days (don't remember which) in your country of origin, which I know from experience is costly and very time-consuming. Then here in the DR you repeat the tedious process for your residency. Basic requirements are good health, proof of solvency and good conduct, and minimum assured retirement income of l$1500 a month. I decided a long time ago to just eat the overstay fees to avoid the hassle. Nobody gives a rip here about illegal gringos who don't cause trouble.

Oooh great, we can start another 30-page long conversation about whether or not you should get residency or just pay the exit fees.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
I will probably have to go the US some time this winter anyway, due to unfortunate family issues. I've got the age, the health, the financial solvency, and the good conduct. I guess I just want some kind of validation for my 12+counting years.
I understand completely. In a perfect world I, too, would like to be here legally. Having been through the process before (for a business visa), I'm trying to reduce hassles at this point in my life.

Reactions: RDKNIGHT

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I'd probably suggest you go to Guzman Ariza for this one, they are pretty good at this type of stuff and I think they will work on a fixed fee. I wouldn't bother doing it yourself to be honest - I gave up on trying to do Dominican legal processes myself many years ago as they always tell you that you're missing a document, and to get that document you need to go somewhere else and get another 15 documents, and to get those you're missing a document and rinse and repeat.

If you are deriving rental income, then I'd recommend the rentista visa which comes with some advantages, ie 50% discount on property taxes here and fast-track renewal.

frankly

Aug 27, 2009
After 6 years (OK, 2 lost to COVID) and I hate to say how many dollars trying to get residencia, I've given up with my lawyer. Nice lady, but I'm not paying for nice.

I recently read about something called a Retirement Visa. I think it's for US citizens.

I don't own anything. I don't work. My income is derived from marital support after the dissolution of 30-yr marriage and SSA. I rent my apartment. I guess the only reason I want something sort of legal is to not have to pay overstay and to be able to have DR bank account. And to just feel sort-of-legal.

From what I've been able to find, I can do it from here. I think I would need a statement from the US that says Interpol doesn't want me. I think it can be done without a lawyer.

Any info greatly appreciated.
When you come back from visiting the US within the 30 days of the tourist visa you can open a bank account here. I did it this way with banco leon without any problems.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Oooh great, we can start another 30-page long conversation about whether or not you should get residency or just pay the exit fees.
Please don't jack the thread. It was a simple question about HOW to do it, not why. The replies have been very helpful.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'd probably suggest you go to Guzman Ariza for this one, they are pretty good at this type of stuff and I think they will work on a fixed fee. I wouldn't bother doing it yourself to be honest - I gave up on trying to do Dominican legal processes myself many years ago as they always tell you that you're missing a document, and to get that document you need to go somewhere else and get another 15 documents, and to get those you're missing a document and rinse and repeat.

If you are deriving rental income, then I'd recommend the rentista visa which comes with some advantages, ie 50% discount on property taxes here and fast-track renewal.
I generate zero income here. I am retired, living on extremely generous marital settlement and SSA that I worked my a** off for over 35 years.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Are you in the DR all year round or do you regularly go back to your country of origin? I am asking because not sure the residency papers are necessary if you still have ties to where you are from and pay taxes there.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
nicely said ,,concur

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
One of my pet peeves is internet articles with no date on them. You used to be able to start your residency visa here, but no more. You have to start it in your home country.

Take a look at the rental prices quotes - $670/mo for a 3 bedroom apartment in the center of Santo Domingo. This looks like an old article(?).
There are many for rent between 700-1000 $US.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Please don't jack the thread. It was a simple question about HOW to do it, not why. The replies have been very helpful.

Apologies, I did actually give a helpful reply as well with some recommendations. But you know that each time someone mentions residency and tourist cards on here we usually go round and round and it would be nice not to have that discussion again.

Reactions: johne