Retiring and Wanting to Move to the DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
One of our nieces who moved to NY during high school - who went to a private school in Santo Domingo - had to repeat a grade in NY when she got there. So it works both ways - no one-size-fits-all. She returned to SD for college, then returned to the US and has a good job in Philadelphia.

Another niece, who went to the same schools as the other one [Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra], then Instituto Tecnol?gico de Santo Domingo, got an engineering degree in SD and now works in Oklahoma making six figures. Company who hired her processed her green card, paid for her apartment and bought her a car. She married an American co-worker [another engineer] and they have 2 sons and a very good life.

So, in both their cases, their SD degree got them great jobs in the US.

AE

Reactions: Celt202 and waytogo

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
If you think that maybe someday your children would like to return and go to a University in the states they would have to go to a fully U.S. accredited school here. If there is only one in Santiago, how many are there in the smaller cities.

Not true. An equivalency test will get them in and they should be able to pass that test after 10th grade. It's a joke. I tutored inmates in the NYS corrections system, most of whom had dropped out before 10th grade and 90% passed on the first try and were immediately accepted for college programs.

Welt

May 11, 2010
But his kids are teens so they wont lose their english language skills. Yea, Wiet, you re better off living in a larger city, sans beach and cocos and sunshiny blue water(if you need that with children, the Florida coast is your best bet). $4.2K/month is way upper middle class here. If you can plan pensively you can live on less than 1/2 that. Especially apart from the tourist areas. Cars are expensive AND OLD for what you get. If you do get one, as much as I hate to say it, get a Japanese one, for familiarity and ease in repair(I personally would bring a Chevrolet but it also is OLD and they wont let it in).
Your kids would be ok at universities compared to others because your kids are not from here so they could graduate from UASD and its not a detraction because they can go back to the US and it looks good that they studied overseas. Not comparing them with Dominicans who go to UASD and try to meet people who can give them a foot hold above other UASD students. Who cares? They can move back to wherever you re from and have the same issues post-college that local college students have.

Yeah RacerX, I don't have to be near a beach and DR is close enough to water where I would be able to get to a beach whenever we are ready to go. Yeah the vehicle situation seems pretty serious and expensive, especially the roads in the DR many I felt like a milkshake when I traveled.

Welt

May 11, 2010
I think retired police officer Welt will come to his own conclusions concerning if the DR's educational system is right for his kids or not. So I for one ain't hijacking this thread no more about the pro's and con's of said system. The man want's to know if with his 4200USD can he make it or break it in this land we call home, with the wife and kids. So let's keep the debate raging concerning that particular topic.

If I had that amount of money I would buy houses, property rent it out and live off of that. Plus, I would put some of it in the bank, accrue interest. It's use would go to my self improvement as well, physical fitness, more yoga, more taichi and in the use of seminar's to expand my knowledge and mind.

Church life is very devout here and that is refreshing for me.

Perhaps even attending school in his adopted country would be another option for him and his wife. Interacting with the students would be an invaluable source of information and friendship. The academic information gained would be helpful too. Improve your mind you improve your life. Change your mind you change your life. So on and so on.

Thanks so much for the valuabe information Lando and everyone else, you all have sure given me a lot to mull over.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
IMHO, Welt, the first step would be to ask your kids how do they feel about moving to DR ?

Welt

May 11, 2010
As far as education with my children they are both in advanced classes and they perform very well in school, especially my youngest he is in all advanced classes. He is in the 6th grade and he is in 8th grade math now and will be in high school level geometry and science before he even gets out of middle school. My 15 year old is only slightly head of the game but performs real well in school. So yes, I do want to make sure that they have a great quality education.

Welt

May 11, 2010
IMHO, Welt, the first step would be to ask your kids how do they feel about moving to DR ?

My kids are very excited about the possibility of living in the DR. My kids are in academically gifted classes and they perform at a high level. My youngest son is in the 6th grade and he is taking all 8th grade level core classes. He will be done with Geometry, and a high school science before he even gets to high school and he is always on the honor roll. My oldest is not quite as advanced but advanced none the less, he is in the 9th grade in honors Gemetry, AG Physical Science, AG English, and honors Social Studies. So yeah I am very serious about education and I go to every parent teacher conference and open house. I do want them to attend a good school and get a good quality education

Welt

May 11, 2010
You are probably worse off than when you first posted your questions. lol

:D I think everyone meant well and it was good to get many different opinions. I really appreciate all of you. I will be a constant on the forums to chat with everyone.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
My kids are very excited about the possibility of living in the DR. My kids are in academically gifted classes and they perform at a high level. My youngest son is in the 6th grade and he is taking all 8th grade level core classes. He will be done with Geometry, and a high school science before he even gets to high school and he is always on the honor roll. My oldest is not quite as advanced but advanced none the less, he is in the 9th grade in honors Gemetry, AG Physical Science, AG English, and honors Social Studies. So yeah I am very serious about education and I go to every parent teacher conference and open house. I do want them to attend a good school and get a good quality education

It sounds like they are exactly the type of kids who would make the most of an opportunity to experience language and culture immersion. One of my daughters did an exchange summer in St. Petersburg (Russia) and it changed her life. I don't see any reason not to try this. I don't think your guys will miss a beat and what better age for a Spanish language immersion? Try it and reevaluate after the next school year ends. Could you afford to send them to a private school in the States?

This could be the opportunity of their lifetimes.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It sounds like they are exactly the type of kids who would make the most of an opportunity to experience language and culture immersion. One of my daughters did an exchange summer in St. Petersburg (Russia) and it changed her life. I don't see any reason not to try this. I don't think your guys will miss a beat and what better age for a Spanish language immersion? Try it and reevaluate after the next school year ends. Could you afford to send them to a private school in the States?

This could be the opportunity of their lifetimes.

I totally agree, couldn't have said it better !
You are blessed with seemingly very bright and open kids :)

Welt

May 11, 2010
Yes, I mean I am paying a lot fro private school for my oldest right now probably about $12,000 a year. I hope it isn't too much more then that in the DR. Thanks Greydread and Africaida. I will consider all of that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welt: From what has been said, I think you are pretty well limited to three options for the kids: La Romana's Abraham Lincoln School, any one of the good schools in Santo Domingo (all less than $4000 a year I do believe) and Santiago's Christian School.

La Romana is a wonderful city with a vibrant and truly intelligent middle class. A couple of introductions and unless you go around behaving like an idiot, you will be quickly taken into the fold.
Downside: Limited access to really great medical help--that's in Sto Dgo. Far away from the rest of the country.
Upside: Good school, nice people, winter baseball, fantastic to die for golfing, quiet life style possible. Cultural activities at Altos de Chavon major +.

Santo Domingo:
As I see it a lot of downside: Traffic, random idiocy, too much one-upmanship. Cost of living can be very high. Great apartments can go for US$3000 a month.
Upside: good to great education, outstanding entertainment activities of all sorts.

Santiago:
Upside: Big city with small city feel. good educational possibilities-perhaps more viable to the needs of gifted (but so are the schools in La Romana, and Sto Dgo), but much closer to personal contacts, not so distant as I hear some are.
Cultural activities: Centro Leon, Regional Theater, lots of music. Sports. Nice clubs.
You are 1 1/2 hours from beaches or mountains. There is golf, horseback riding, and every sport you can think of just a few minutes away. Traffic is not an issue.
University (PUCMM) is top class and well recognized around the world. Cost of living is far more reasonable than Santo Domingo. Everything is available. (Except Wal*Mart)
Downside: Sort of clannish. But once you get to know the folks they are really nice. Some folks have trouble doing this, but with two kids in school it will be a lot easier to make friends.

And, there is Punta Cana. "Oh my God! Punta Cana?", you say.
Yes, Punta Cana. At least four persons I know pretty well have settled out that way. Not all is perfect, true,
Upside, No traffic, good schools with flexibility for the gifted. Some cultural experiences are available--many involving ecology. Elite population. Few idiots out that way. You are on the ocean and everything that goes on there!!!!
Down side: Can be pricy. You are way away from the rest of the island, hurricanes are a reality, not a news item. Small pool of people who are residents full-time.

So, I would be of that group that says: Come on down. Look around, and see what you "feel" is right. Stay a couple of weeks in each place. Meet and greet. I am pretty sure that you can make the right decision.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Slightly daunted by following the wonderful HB post.

Couple of practical matters

I would bring a car... not so much to save money but to guarantee the pedigree. Your own would perfect... must be less than 5 yr old
There are extensive discussions on this.

If applying for residency - were i ever do it again - I would split the applications..... myself one time , my wife another
You never remember everything the first time, so a 2nd chance is useful.
You can arrange a second car if you decide you need it .(must be owed for 1yr prior to importation)

Naturally , you can do it all at once -- 2 cars, 2 containers, etc but I would appreciate another "import" chance at this point ... 1 1/2 years later

Hope this helps

WW

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yes, I mean I am paying a lot fro private school for my oldest right now probably about $12,000 a year. I hope it isn't too much more then that in the DR. Thanks Greydread and Africaida. I will consider all of that.

Thats billions more than you d pay here and with just cause you could still at less than half of that get them ancillary instruction from alternate sources in country or through web based programs. Of course to do this you HAVE to be in SD or Santiago. What I wished existed here was a Carnegie style Public/Free/Lending Library. It would do wonders for cultural exposure and literacy.

And the car thing is because many of the NEW parts are inferior in quality to what you d expect.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Actually that's more or less what he'd be paying for Carol Morgan or Heritage Cap Cana.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The car thing is not as bad as people want to make it sound. Right now cars are not that expensive.You can bring down a good full size Ford Explorer (which have become very popular lately) which you can get at a very good price in The US and just pay the taxes.

There's been enough discussion about education so I won't say much other than I'm a product of Dominican public education and I think I turned out all right. As a matter of fact was way ahead of my peers when I came to The US, but a lot depends on the individual. It sounds like your kids enjoy school, so that's a big plus...

I would go down and try it for at least a year and if after that you find it's not for you then you can always come back to The US and you and your kids haven't really lost that much in terms of time.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think for people from the uk cars are cheaper here...and the good thing is they hold their value better

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Don't locate near the tourist impacted areas. Santiago's your only real choice.
Bob Sauders is right. International, English speaking schools, most Christian related, can be excellent schools with direction from the home as well.
US schools not only "vary in quality" as someone said, but tend to teach PC/MC soft science mush with little critical thinking.
Upper economic class "residenciales cerradas" (apartments for the first year or two) are the best bet for you, again, in Santiago. Locate permanently after at least a year in country.
Your teens will be extremely fortunate to get international exposure, especially Latino.
Being a cop, I assume you know how to raise them safe in today's teen drug culture.

benhoffa

Jan 30, 2004
Schools in Santiago

Of course, I am biased because I work at Santiago Christian but at least check out the website: scs.edu.do

There are alot of "english" speaking schools in the area but none are actually stateside accredited.

And if either of your kids play baseball, I need a pitcher :)