Retiring in Dominican Republic

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
I just joined DR1.com and would like to introduce myself. I have vacationed in the DR a few times in the last few years and have enjoyed it so much that I have decided to retire there when I am eligible in two years through my job. I am single with no children, so I will be retiring alone. I speak semi-fluent to fluent Spanish. I would prefer to rent rather than I own. I don?t want to tie myself down. A modest one or two bedroom apartment would suit me just fine.

I have already visited several places there. Punta Cana and Bavaro have too many all-inclusive tourist resorts for my taste. Bayahibe seemed nice, but I was only there for a couple days. I still want to visit Samana and Boca Chica before I retire, but if I had to decide to today, I would probably settle in Puerto Plata or Cabarete. I?ve already been there twice and I have met some retirees who have just retired there. Any other recommended places I should visit?

Thanks

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't currently live in DR, but here's two that you should look into...

Jarabacoa - inland so no beaches but has rivers, very nice little city, fresh mountain air (?)

Cabrera - north coast, nice little town, not touristy

Both have ex-pats

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We live here. North Coast is better for us and friends. I think better Med. and more support from Expats. It's not as busy as the big cities, but, it works. Your right rent first. then decide.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
We live here. North Coast is better for us and friends. I think better Med. and more support from Expats. It's not as busy as the big cities, but, it works. Your right rent first. then decide.

Thanks. I haven't spent as much time on the South Coast as I have on the North, but I really do like the North Coast a lot.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Been on the north coast for 10 years renting apartments to people like yourself. You already have the right idea to rent and see what you really like.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Check out Las Terrenas

I just joined DR1.com and would like to introduce myself. I have vacationed in the DR a few times in the last few years and have enjoyed it so much that I have decided to retire there when I am eligible in two years through my job. I am single with no children, so I will be retiring alone. I speak semi-fluent to fluent Spanish. I would prefer to rent rather than I own. I don?t want to tie myself down. A modest one or two bedroom apartment would suit me just fine.

I have already visited several places there. Punta Cana and Bavaro have too many all-inclusive tourist resorts for my taste. Bayahibe seemed nice, but I was only there for a couple days. I still want to visit Samana and Boca Chica before I retire, but if I had to decide to today, I would probably settle in Puerto Plata or Cabarete. I?ve already been there twice and I have met some retirees who have just retired there. Any other recommended places I should visit?

Thanks

Hi:

Next time you plan a vacation to the DR spend some time in Las Terrenas. You can get a direct flight from JFK to El Catey/Samana Aiport (AZS) and you are 30 minutes away. Flights run on Weds and Sats. There is only one all inclusive in the area and it is out of town. There is a large choice of hotels/ condos to rent and many
great restaurnats. Go to the Northeast thread and click on the Samana guide at the top. You will get some
good info on the area.

LTSteve

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Thank you, Steve. I know a Colombian woman here in the U.S. that plans on retiring in Las Terrenas. She's told me terrific things about it. I plan on visiting Samana Peninsula during my next trip in February.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
I like Bayahibe "MUCHO"!
Small, walkable, many retirees.
Speaking Italian would help.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Thanks, I took an excursion to Isla Saona when I was there, so I didn't get a chance to see much of Bayahibe. Would love to go back though.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Also Juan Dolio area they are developing new apartment projects in front of the beach and also apartments close to the beach with better price. Nice area and not too far from the city and Santo Domingo airport.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Also Juan Dolio area they are developing new apartment projects in front of the beach and also apartments close to the beach with better price. Nice area and not too far from the city and Santo Domingo airport.

Thanks, Riva. I'll check it out.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
If you are here, take your time and check out all the places before you rent something for long time.

Domphil

Dec 16, 2011

I agree. Juan Dolio a great little town and very convenient and friendly. Also easy for English speaking.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My recommendation would be to retire in Santo Domingo! Then you have access to all the cultural and intellectual activities, and are centrally located to travel all around the country.

RGM

Jun 5, 2010
I live in Bavaro and thinking of moving....Where is Juan Dolio....not sure...which side of Santo Domingo