Return ticket needed

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Scandall said:
....so you get stuck paying the APR on it.

Scandall

Only if you are broke. You can pay the amount due, and get a credit later when the refund goes through. No sense earning 2% in your savings account while you pay 24% on the outstanding balance.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
La Profe_1 said:
It was a Y class ticket. When I finally cashed it in (after the date of the flight and without cancelling it), full value was allowed toward the ticket I was purchasing. I even tried having someone (my boss) talk to the Chief of Operations for AA at POP, but it was a no-go.
What did they tell you when you told them you had purchased a fully refundable ticket?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
They claimed that it was refundable only for another ticket but that I would get full credit. As I said, my boss (who is someone with some "juice" in the DR) called too and was told the same thing. Evidently it was a fluke at the POP airport that the AA staff there refused to refund in cash.

Come to think of it, merchants here in POP either refuse outright or give a limited time (24 hours) for returns and exchanges. Perhaps the refusal of the refund on the ticket came as a result of that mindset - notwithstanding AA policy.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
La Profe_1 said:
They claimed that it was refundable only for another ticket but that I would get full credit. As I said, my boss (who is someone with some "juice" in the DR) called too and was told the same thing. Evidently it was a fluke at the POP airport that the AA staff there refused to refund in cash.

Simply put it was not a full fare one way "Y" ticket if it was not refundable. A FF Y ticket you can refund over the phone just by calling to cancel and the original form of payment is credited. This was conditional in some way, a YUP fare, or a B# fare etc. FF Y tickets are like cash.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
ricktoronto said:
Only if you are broke. You can pay the amount due, and get a credit later when the refund goes through. No sense earning 2% in your savings account while you pay 24% on the outstanding balance.

It's got nothing to do with being "broke". They said that it would be credited back immediately and access to credit cards are easier when you are on the go.

Scandall

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Ahhhh. I know what you mean now. If the person doesn;t pay it off immediately. Got it. Disregard. I thought you meant using the card at the point of purchase was evidence of being broke. I do it all the time for the points.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
When I had a travel agency we were only authorized to issue refunds for refundable tickets in the same form as the original payment was made. A ticket purchased on credit card must be issued a credit on the same credit card. Tickets purchased for cash were refunded in cash. This may have become even more restrictive with the advent of e-tickets. Otherwise the airlines would become a free Western Union. People would want to purchase a ticket in the US and have family cash it in for cash in the DR.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Scandall said:
It's got nothing to do with being "broke". They said that it would be credited back immediately and access to credit cards are easier when you are on the go.

Scandall

EDITED TO INCLUDE: Ahhhh. I know what you mean now. If the person doesn;t pay it off immediately. Got it. Disregard. I thought you meant using the card at the point of purchase was evidence of being broke. I do it all the time for the points.

Right. I use a card to accumulate probably 40-50,000 AA points a year. But my monthly balance carried over is zero. So you have to wait, you don't have to pay interest unless you are unable to pay it off first. I have found with AA a credit only took about 4 or 5 business days.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It was a full fare refundable Y class ticket! I paid enough for it, let me tell you. The person at the POP airport simply REFUSED to refund it notwithstanding. At the time my Spanish was less fluent than it is now, and I was not up to arguing the point.

ricktoronto said:
Simply put it was not a full fare one way "Y" ticket if it was not refundable. A FF Y ticket you can refund over the phone just by calling to cancel and the original form of payment is credited. This was conditional in some way, a YUP fare, or a B# fare etc. FF Y tickets are like cash.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
La Profe_1 said:
It was a full fare refundable Y class ticket! I paid enough for it, let me tell you. The person at the POP airport simply REFUSED to refund it notwithstanding. At the time my Spanish was less fluent than it is now, and I was not up to arguing the point.

I guess they had a laugh at your expense, sorry to hear that.

https://www.refunds.aa.com/

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
La Profe_1 said:

Next time call AA in the US if you have to. If you used a credit card they'd do it on the phone. You can add it to your reservations on AA.com and cancel it there too.