Return ticket required

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
As usual, DR1 is full of helpful members. Thank you. I will have my AA hold info ready, trying to hide the part that says "hold." I will also have a delta or jet blue refundable purchase one click away if necessary. The wife, Dominican born, is a US citizen, with US passport under her married name. Hopefully they won't question her, her maiden name cedula and USA passport saying her nationality should be more than enough. One day soon, I want to get the best possible lawyer to fast track my Dominican residency and citizenship, I hate paperwork and bureaucracy. But that is for a different post.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Front Line Info

I just cancelled a ticket this AM.... JetBlue
I waited 43 minutes online to do it.

The girl said - It will go to your travel bank credit
I asked to return it to my card
Oh Yes !.. I see it is less than 24hrs old..... I'll do that

Last night bought - x-celled 8am today
Good info. Was it one of those fully refundable tickets? I guess you had to wait to chat online?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
As usual, DR1 is full of helpful members. Thank you. I will have my AA hold info ready, trying to hide the part that says "hold." I will also have a delta or jet blue refundable purchase one click away if necessary. The wife, Dominican born, is a US citizen, with US passport under her married name. Hopefully they won't question her, her maiden name cedula and USA passport saying her nationality should be more than enough. One day soon, I want to get the best possible lawyer to fast track my Dominican residency and citizenship, I hate paperwork and bureaucracy. But that is for a different post.
No problem with immigration for your wife, her U.S. passport states she is a Dominican.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The only issue with a hold ticket from AA is that there is no confirmation number (which will be given once ticket is paid for) just a record locator number. Just depends how close they want to look at it. I have had good luck with Delta and AA on refunds within 24 hrs.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
The only issue with a hold ticket from AA is that there is no confirmation number (which will be given once ticket is paid for) just a record locator number. Just depends how close they want to look at it. I have had good luck with Delta and AA on refunds within 24 hrs.
The AA hold ticket worked, I think she even entered that "record locator " code. I did cut off the word "hold" that was just above that code. Thanks again everyone

Reactions: AlaPlaya

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Reactions: Luperon

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where did they they check you ?
At check-in or Migracion at STI?

The fact you were even checked is odd enough..... a rare occurrence

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas

Everyone I know who has been asked about it recently was stopped at the departure airport check-in and the gate agents wouldn't complete check-in without seeing the ticket.

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It should be noted that Dominican citizens and legal residents of the DR are not required to have a return ticket when flying from anywhere to the DR. If the airline asks for a return ticket (they will always do that if you have only one ticket and use any passport that isn't the Dominican one,, simply show your Dominican cédula and the questioning ends right there.
We have learned that airlines hardly ever ask for a return ticket for non DR legal residents/non-DR citizens when boarding flights to the DR. It is the exception rather than the rule that they do ask. That part of what you stated is simply not true since the airlines in general don't care that they are obligated by the DR government to ask for a return ticket.
Leaving the DR you will be asked for a return ticket if you don't have a passport from the country you're flying to. Flying to the USA with a US passport moots that point, because similarly that any Dominican citizen can buy a one way ticket flying directly to the DR, a US citizen (or EU if flying to Spain/France/etc) can also buy a one way ticket to those countries and not be asked for the return ticket.

If a Dominican citizens loses his passport while abroad, he can go to the nearest Dominican consulate and ask for a carta de ruta. It's free of charge and with that offivisl form you can pass through Dominican immigration without a passport. If you don't have money to buy a one way ticket to the DR, the Dominican government will buy one for you at no cost to you ever, but I think they do that once in your lifetime. Technically, no Dominican can be "stuck" in another country since this option is available to all.
I learned something new in the above.
When Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico, a record number of Dominicans reached the DR by going to a Dominican consulate and asking for a carta de ruta. Many Dominicans going through economic hardship in other countries can return to the DR via that option too.

I hven't checked if other government offer this too, but I will not be sueprised if they do.
I never heard of such a thing before.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many of us have more than 12 flights under our belt..... and are hardly ever asked

This person is asking what to do 'if' asked....
Add to that the new rules...might come into play

The world is changing - bit by bit
======================================

Not surprising the airlines are taking preventative action because a visitor can be sent back by Immigration on arrival if one does not have a return ticket at the airlines cost.

see Page 9 and 10 of attached and translation below:

https://migracion.gob.do/transparencia/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Resolución-No.-DGM-05-2013-Resolución-sobre-Procedimientos-de-Control-Migratorio-en-la-República-Dominicana.pdf
Return Ticket. .... it will be mandatory for the immigration officer to confirm that the visitor carries his return ticket by any mode of transport ........ if this requirement is not met, the immigration officer will proceed to report it to the shift supervisor, who will proceed to the immediate return of the passenger in the same means of international transport in which he arrives and will proceed to fine in accordance with the prescriptions of article 130 of the Law and 140 and 142 of the Regulation.

After yesterdays republication of DGM 05-2013 as above on the DGM website, my guess is we will see the above being implemented in due course.

Cancelling a return ticket before you have cleared Immigration in DR as has been suggested by some may in the future be an unwise move.
Due course means eventually or maybe never. Thanks for pointing out the section where the return ticket is required to board a flight to the DR for those who don't legally live here. Maybe someday airlines will be forced to actually care about this. Republications of old information on DGM's website notwithstanding. I suppose we will see if all airlines ask all the time. I doubt it.

nickdr

May 30, 2014
Does anyone know if the e-ticket you are required to fill out 72 hours before you enter the DR asks for flight info for a return flight?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does anyone know if the e-ticket you are required to fill out 72 hours before you enter the DR asks for flight info for a return flight?
Does not. And you don't need to wait until 72 hours to fill it out no matter what anyone tells you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I found it bizarre, but thoroughly in context with the Dominican style of law enforcement, that the E-Ticket does not currently ask for return ticket information including the record locater. After all most airlines don't ask as they are required to before boarding nor does Immigration check upon arrival. Maybe some day.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004

SPIRIT airlines in Orlando asked for it at checkin at their international check in station, which is long walk from their regular check in. Agent entered info from return ticket into her computer. They even asked to see my Dominican eticket. No one in the DR asked for return ticket.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Something to wonder about is how easy it could be to detect who buys a return ticket only to cancel it? It isn't as if these things are going into thin air. These days it's virtually impossible to do anything online and not have it recorded forever. A person can't even travel into the USA (out too?) without the TSA knowing what's your name, on what flight you are arriving, etc before you even get in the airplane that will take you to Uncle Sam land. Heck, if you are one sort of criminal with an international arrest warrant and you fly across international lines, chances are high you will get a special personalized "welcome" from the police and they will be "courteous" enough to give you a ride from the airport, though the destination is not up to you.

Does anyone knows if an airline is asked on the buying/cancelling of such-and-such, are they able to provide this info? Not just of a particular flight, but their entire buying/cancelling history with that airline?

Last edited: