Return ticket required

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Flying one way to sti on spirit airlines, mco-fll-sti, they might ask for return trip. Questions.
1. Will a hold ticket from American airlines work? AA allows 24hour hold without paying. If it does not work, what are my other options, especially at check-in? Thank you in advance.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Why not just call your airline and ask them if they require a return ticket and if so what type of ticket?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why not just call your airline and ask them if they require a return ticket and if so what type of ticket?
Enforcement is spotty, even with airlines that occasionally ask. Do you know how long hold times are now?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
buy a refundable one way ticket STI to JFK 30

My flight is tonight, too late for the 24 hour law. :(
If spirit rejects my AA hold ticket ,I will buy a fully refundable return ticket at the airport, which I have never attempted. Which airlines will easily give you your money back on "refundable" tickets easily..ie...online without a hassle ? Ty

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they won't reject it.... a ticket is a ticket

I just canceled a JetBlue ticket this AM...... free in 24hr, credit if older
The 24hr cancel is across the board...... all have generous cancellation policies these days

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wait !

If I read your post right - you have an AAhold..... that will work
or
buy anything this afternoon to use tonight- cancel it tomorrow or while waiting for your flight
Done!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
they won't reject it.... a ticket is a ticket

I just canceled a JetBlue ticket this AM...... free in 24hr, credit if older
The 24hr cancel is across the board...... all have generous cancellation policies these days
Not all. Some tickets are NON Refundable but this is stated when you buy. Need to pay attention when buying. And Spirit is the worst airline going. They would charge for oxygen if they could................

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If spirit rejects my AA hold ticket ,I will buy a fully refundable return ticket at the airport, which I have never attempted. Which airlines will easily give you your money back on "refundable" tickets easily..ie...online without a hassle ? Ty
Not American Airlines! I had to do that once back in 2001. They refused a refund and insisted that all I could get was a credit (good for a year) for a flight.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Flying one way to sti on spirit airlines, mco-fll-sti, they might ask for return trip. Questions.
1. Will a hold ticket from American airlines work? AA allows 24hour hold without paying. If it does not work, what are my other options, especially at check-in? Thank you in advance.
I once received an email from the Dominican consulate in London saying that Dominican immigration does not require a return ticket and that is something airlines like to ask for!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
When flying JetBlue on Jan 1, they just asked when we were returning, and I made up a date in two weeks. Nobody asked for proof of a return ticket.

Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It should be noted that Dominican citizens and legal residents of the DR are not required to have a return ticket when flying from anywhere to the DR. If the airline asks for a return ticket (they will always do that if you have only one ticket and use any passport that isn't the Dominican one,, simply show your Dominican cédula and the questioning ends right there.

Leaving the DR you will be asked for a return ticket if you don't have a passport from the country you're flying to. Flying to the USA with a US passport moots that point, because similarly that any Dominican citizen can buy a one way ticket flying directly to the DR, a US citizen (or EU if flying to Spain/France/etc) can also buy a one way ticket to those countries and not be asked for the return ticket.

If a Dominican citizens loses his passport while abroad, he can go to the nearest Dominican consulate and ask for a carta de ruta. It's free of charge and with that offivisl form you can pass through Dominican immigration without a passport. If you don't have money to buy a one way ticket to the DR, the Dominican government will buy one for you at no cost to you ever, but I think they do that once in your lifetime. Technically, no Dominican can be "stuck" in another country since this option is available to all.

When Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico, a record number of Dominicans reached the DR by going to a Dominican consulate and asking for a carta de ruta. Many Dominicans going through economic hardship in other countries can return to the DR via that option too.

I hven't checked if other government offer this too, but I will not be sueprised if they do.

Last edited:

nickdr

May 30, 2014
Any return ticket works.....
all airlines , by law, must issue a full refund in the 24 hr period

I have flown to the DR at least 12 times one way and have never been asked for a return ticket. If I ever am, I have the United app on my phone and I can buy one then and there, then cancel it as soon as I land and get out of the airport in the DR (24 hour cancel full refund policy); if the airline wants to play that stupid game. Have flown United every time except JetBlue once.

Jan 9, 2004
I have flown to the DR at least 12 times one way and have never been asked for a return ticket. If I ever am, I have the United app on my phone and I can buy one then and there, then cancel it as soon as I land and get out of the airport in the DR (24 hour cancel full refund policy); if the airline wants to play that stupid game. Have flown United every time except JetBlue once.
While each airline can set their own policy more liberally, the DOT in the US indicates the 24 hour cancellation rule is only applicable to flights booked 7 days or more in advance......so if you are using that strategy, check each airlines policy carefully;

Cancelling a Ticket Reservation or Purchase within 24 hours of Booking
  • For airline tickets that are purchased at least seven days before a flight’s scheduled departure date and time, airlines are required to either:
    • allow passengers to cancel their reservation and receive a full refund without a penalty for 24 hours, or
    • allow passengers to reserve a ticket (place it on hold) at the quoted price without paying for the ticket for 24 hours
  • Airlines are not required to offer both a hold and a refund option. Check your airline’s policy before purchasing a ticket. However, if an airline accepts a reservation without payment, it must allow the consumer to cancel the reservation within 24 hours without penalty. If an airline requires payment with a reservation, it must allow the consumer to cancel the payment and reservation within 24 hours and receive a full refund.
  • Although airlines must hold a reservation for 24 hours or provide a refund to passengers at their request within 24 hours of making a reservation, airlines are not required to make changes to a ticket free of charge (for example - change your ticket to a different date or correct a misspelled name on the reservation).
    • In some cases, instead of paying for a change fee and a potential difference between the original ticket price and the current ticket price, it may be cheaper to request a refund for the ticket and rebook. However, please keep in mind that ticket prices can change quickly.
Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Many of us have more than 12 flights under our belt..... and are hardly ever asked

This person is asking what to do 'if' asked....
Add to that the new rules...might come into play

The world is changing - bit by bit
======================================

Not surprising the airlines are taking preventative action because a visitor can be sent back by Immigration on arrival if one does not have a return ticket at the airlines cost.

see Page 9 and 10 of attached and translation below:

https://migracion.gob.do/transparen...rol-Migratorio-en-la-República-Dominicana.pdf
Return Ticket. .... it will be mandatory for the immigration officer to confirm that the visitor carries his return ticket by any mode of transport ........ if this requirement is not met, the immigration officer will proceed to report it to the shift supervisor, who will proceed to the immediate return of the passenger in the same means of international transport in which he arrives and will proceed to fine in accordance with the prescriptions of article 130 of the Law and 140 and 142 of the Regulation.

After yesterdays republication of DGM 05-2013 as above on the DGM website, my guess is we will see the above being implemented in due course.

Cancelling a return ticket before you have cleared Immigration in DR as has been suggested by some may in the future be an unwise move.

Reactions: windeguy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Front Line Info

I just cancelled a ticket this AM.... JetBlue
I waited 43 minutes online to do it.

The girl said - It will go to your travel bank credit
I asked to return it to my card
Oh Yes !.. I see it is less than 24hrs old..... I'll do that

Last night bought - x-celled 8am today

Reactions: Luperon