Returning to Canada from the DR

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
All of us Canadians are probably aware of the 3 day mandatory quarantine if you fly into one of the 4 Canadian airports accepting international travellers. After a conversation with WW he suggested I post this loop hole some people may not be aware of.

If you can get to any state that has a good sized city close to the Canadian boarder you can take a taxi or car service right to the boarder crossing office. You do not have to walk any further than the parking lot. The driver can return to the US without any problems as they are deemed an essential service.

You will still have to have a negative PCR test and a 14 day quarantine plan to where you are going. You DO NOT have to do the 3 day mandatory quarantine in a hotel at this time.

As an example a limo service in Buffalo, NY. is providing this service for approx $100 to the boarder, more if you want to go beyond that.

Hopefully these restrictions will be relaxed by May 1 and we can travel freely without punishment from the Canadian government.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
one of the buffalo car services will pick you up at the buff airport take you to the border and wait while you get cleared and drive you to your doorstep in toronto or other location never exiting the drivers seat. Toronto for about 300 bucks or 100 for a border dropoff

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Going the other way..... into the USA

There are services that ship your vehicle over & helicopter you in....
other side to pick it up.....

Booked heavily, they say

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The hotel quarantine ends in 4 days, April 21.
Whatchu talking about Willis? The requirement to stay in hotel jail is separate from the 14 quarantine rule that was previously extended to April 21. Hotel lock up for arriving airline passengers isn't going anywhere anytime soon unfortunately.

Reactions: Yo No

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
Paging Patty Hadju — come out, come out wherever you are.
After all, it’s four days from the scheduled end of the two-month hotel quarantine program and international travellers still have no clue whether it will be extended.
Evidently either do the bureaucrats at Health Canada.

I reached out to them Monday to ask about a possible extension and was informed repeatedly over four days that they were overwhelmed with media requests and couldn’t get to mine.
Finally, I received a non-answer on Friday from a spokesman, Anna Madison.

She indicated that the federal order in council that forces travellers arriving at four Canadian airports from international destinations to quarantine in a government-mandated hotel for three days is in effect from Feb. 14 until April 21 (11:59:59 pm EST).

“It may be amended or renewed as required to protect Canadians,” Madison said.
There was no further indication when that might happen or for how long.

Some members on a GAA Hotel Quarantine Facebook group have written that some hotels are not taking any reservations beyond April 22.

LEVY: Future of COVID jails for travellers unclear | Toronto Sun

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
It's a bad sign when the authorities pack you in a bus to travel to a hotel to stand in a long line to check into the hotel, under the guise of protecting the country from the already raging variants brought in by essential workers who don't have to quarantine. Guess it's our fault as somehow the polling suggests that this is a great idea.

Wonder what would happen if I travel to the US for my second Pfizer shot instead of waiting 120 days in Canada to receive it. Don't suppose that common sense is an acceptable excuse to travel.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Paging Patty Hadju — come out, come out wherever you are.
After all, it’s four days from the scheduled end of the two-month hotel quarantine program and international travellers still have no clue whether it will be extended.
Evidently either do the bureaucrats at Health Canada.

I reached out to them Monday to ask about a possible extension and was informed repeatedly over four days that they were overwhelmed with media requests and couldn’t get to mine.
Finally, I received a non-answer on Friday from a spokesman, Anna Madison.

She indicated that the federal order in council that forces travellers arriving at four Canadian airports from international destinations to quarantine in a government-mandated hotel for three days is in effect from Feb. 14 until April 21 (11:59:59 pm EST).

“It may be amended or renewed as required to protect Canadians,” Madison said.
There was no further indication when that might happen or for how long.

Some members on a GAA Hotel Quarantine Facebook group have written that some hotels are not taking any reservations beyond April 22.

LEVY: Future of COVID jails for travellers unclear | Toronto Sun
I really hope you are right. To date I have not seen anything that has the 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine end early.
If I see anything official I will post it here.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I checked the Sheraton right in the Toronto Airport till the end of April and it still quotes the quarantine rates of $350 per person per night, 3 meals per day and totally non-refundable.

• Wow
Reactions: Yo No

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Does anyone know if it is true that the DR requires a negative test for passengers returning to their EU home country?