Returning to Canada from the DR

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Canada just pushed the hotel quarantine thingy to May 21st.
I was going to ask where you saw this but I have since been bombarded with news links. I checked the hotels in the Calgary area and 2 people can do the 3 days for around a $1000 total. Still a ripoff but not much you can do.

I also checked flying to Great Falls MT and walking across but the only cab service wants $425 for the drive to the boarder. Every one is capitalizing on this.

MGD

Jan 3, 2021
Toronto
As Ontario struggles to control a brutal third wave of COVID-19, health officials say more than 200 international travellers arriving in the province have refused to stay in a quarantine hotel.

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) told CTV News Toronto that as of April 15 they are aware of at least 211 tickets that have been issued to travellers since the hotel quarantine program came into effect in February.
According to the PHAC, these tickets were issued to travellers who arrived in Ontario without having booked into a quarantine hotel and then refused to go to one.
The fine for refusing to go to a government approved hotel after returning to Canada is $3,000, PHAC said.

Travellers returning to Canada must reserve a hotel for three nights prior to arriving in the country and take a COVID-19 test at the airport.
If the traveller receives a negative COVID-19 test result, they can continue their 14-day quarantine period at home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am struggling to get my wife's car OUT of Canada

Luckily, there is a flood of FLA snowbirds who are shipping their cars to FLA in order to drive (rather than fly) back in.

NO Hotel stay that way.....

I am riding the coattails of that wave....

Reactions: AlaPlaya

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
As Ontario struggles to control a brutal third wave of COVID-19, health officials say more than 200 international travellers arriving in the province have refused to stay in a quarantine hotel.

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) told CTV News Toronto that as of April 15 they are aware of at least 211 tickets that have been issued to travellers since the hotel quarantine program came into effect in February.
According to the PHAC, these tickets were issued to travellers who arrived in Ontario without having booked into a quarantine hotel and then refused to go to one.
The fine for refusing to go to a government approved hotel after returning to Canada is $3,000, PHAC said.

Travellers returning to Canada must reserve a hotel for three nights prior to arriving in the country and take a COVID-19 test at the airport.
If the traveller receives a negative COVID-19 test result, they can continue their 14-day quarantine period at home.

How is the fine enforced? In the USA, you can be fined by a judge in a criminal court. Admittedly, I don't know Canadian law at all. But because the government says pay, you pay? Sounds facist to me.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
How is the fine enforced? In the USA, you can be fined by a judge in a criminal court. Admittedly, I don't know Canadian law at all. But because the government says pay, you pay? Sounds facist to me.
You get the fine and pay it or if you want to contest it you can by requesting a court date. Then you show up and tell the judge your sob story and you are fined anyway. The judge can reduce the fine or eliminate it at his will. Then you have a time limit to pay.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You get the fine and pay it or if you want to contest it you can by requesting a court date. Then you show up and tell the judge your sob story and you are fined anyway. The judge can reduce the fine or eliminate it at his will. Then you have a time limit to pay.
What if you don't do anything? Asking for a friend.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How does this work? Once you clear customs, are you arrested and put in a hotel of their choosing? What if you just go home, or can you?
It's a bit complicated. If you fly in you have to have the 3 day hotel booked. You are then tested and sent to that hotel. If your test comes back negative you can proceed home to finish your 14 day quarantine. If you test positive you are sent to a government facility till you test negative, usually another 11 days. The 3 days is your expense the longer one is on the government.

If you drive in you take a test and then proceed to where you will quarantine for 14 days usually your home. During this time you have to do 2 more tests and in all cases the virus police will check up on you.

Failure to comply can result in fines ranging from $3000 CDN to up to 1 million CDN if you know you are positive and willfully continue to ignore the rules. So far most people that have been charged have had the prosecutor drop the charges. (in Alberta)

There are several exemptions to this nonsense. For example essential services, refugees, friends of Trudeau, and several others.

Hope this clears it up a bit for you.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Another article about Canadians crossing border in taxis.

The premiers of Ontario and Quebec sent a letter to Trudeau last week urging further travel restrictions

Reactions: kmfjd

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am struggling to get my wife's car OUT of Canada

Luckily, there is a flood of FLA snowbirds who are shipping their cars to FLA in order to drive (rather than fly) back in.

NO Hotel stay that way.....

I am riding the coattails of that wave....

DONE !!!

Picked up in London ON on Monday
Delivered to Bedford Hills NY Wednesday......

48 hrs.

So - if anybody wants to get back to Canada.... thru Buffalo
These people will get your car from home and drop it at their lot in Buffalo....
You arrive - taxi to your car ---

POOF!!
Cross to Canada

Reactions: slowmo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They connect thru the USA.....NYC, MIA or other cities

Two flights instead of one.

Or , perhaps they were visiting the US....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
DONE !!!

Picked up in London ON on Monday
Delivered to Bedford Hills NY Wednesday......

48 hrs.

So - if anybody wants to get back to Canada.... thru Buffalo
These people will get your car from home and drop it at their lot in Buffalo....
You arrive - taxi to your car ---

POOF!!
Cross to Canada

Talk about recognizing a need and capitalizing on it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It gets even better JD

Cdns cannot drive into the US but can fly....

So there are companies that ship your car across then helicopter you over....Air arrival
and you continue on your merry way.....

They were booked solid in December by snowbirds