Revision of Staying Extension

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Only that visitors are required to have one.
Are there many instances of overstays unable to afford a way home such that the DR gets stuck with the bill?
Seems hard to believe there are significant losses to the DR

The DR is more than a little unfriendly to folks wanting to move here or even spend a few months.
One would think this country would encourage longer stays and be expat friendly because the longer you stay the more you spend.
More a more the DR is becoming a nice place for a short vacation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are there many instances of overstays unable to afford a way home such that the DR gets stuck with the bill?
Seems hard to believe there are significant losses to the DR
If a return ticket is not provided to the airline and the DR officials catch that, then the airline is held responsible for the costs of returning that person. So the DR government is not on the hook for that at all. Hence no losses to the DR.
The DR is more than a little unfriendly to folks wanting to move here or even spend a few months.
It is a hell of a lot more friendly than most places only making them pay overstay fines for extended stays that currently can go on forever and ever.
One would think this country would encourage longer stays and be expat friendly because the longer you stay the more you spend.
More a more the DR is becoming a nice place for a short vacation.
The DR is focused on AI resort people. Millions of them. The DR also very much likes cruise ships. They are unable to come up with a 6 month easy to get snowbird visa. To encourage longer stays, the laws would have to be changed. Don't hold your breath on that happening.

The few (in the thousands) people that don't stay at AI resorts are not of major concern in the scheme of things.
It is all about Punta Cana, AI resorts and cruises. That is where the big bucks are.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The profile of a chronic overstayer is not one of an individual who comes here investing and throwing around cash. Responsible folks who have jobs and real world commitments, tend to do things the proper way, such as follow the regularization process to obtain citizenship. Shady individuals beating child support payments, money launderers, druggies, unemployment fraudists, interpol wanteds, ex cons, etc, who are here long term, generally bring problems with them because of their nature. There is no science to it.

Reactions: Luperon

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a bit self centered, how some people think they are major contributors to the economy and should be given more attention.

We're talking 7M All-In visitors and the economic ripples that go with them..... against a some people living in a $150,000 appartment

Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
"They" don't necessarily get stuck with the bill. The airline who does not ask for a return ticket is stuck with the bill if the DR government catches that airline and enforces the law.

And In the case of how does someone doing the previously recommended "buy and cancel" a fully refundable ticket to temporarily have a return ticket avoid the DR government getting stuck with the deportation costs?

Both situations mean laws would actually be enforced.
Many of these people are skirting the rule buy cancelling the return ticket. The DR will get stuck with the bill in those cases.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think the actual number of times the DR has paid for a return ticket are rare. The extra monies spent by the "overstayers" must be exponentially more. Does anyone even know someone who had their return ticket paid by the DR? I am not talking about those criminally deported.

Reactions: drstock

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think the actual number of times the DR has paid for a return ticket are rare. The extra monies spent by the "overstayers" must be exponentially more. Does anyone even know someone who had their return ticket paid by the DR? I am not talking about those criminally deported.

Hold on a second. The whole of DR immigration policy is formulated with Haitians and now Venezuelans in mind. And in those categories they send tens of thousands home every month. I'm not sure about how the Chinese come in as well but I would suspect a lot are using the tourist card and overstaying. We need to look at this through a different lens. Clearly snowbirds and those from relatively rich countries are not the focus here.

Reactions: DR fan1990

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hold on a second. The whole of DR immigration policy is formulated with Haitians and now Venezuelans in mind. And in those categories they send tens of thousands home every month. I'm not sure about how the Chinese come in as well but I would suspect a lot are using the tourist card and overstaying. We need to look at this through a different lens. Clearly snowbirds and those from relatively rich countries are not the focus here.
Strange, I can't recall the last time I saw the immigration paddy wagon filled with Chinese hmmm

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Strange, I can't recall the last time I saw the immigration paddy wagon filled with Chinese hmmm

Just because you personally have not seen a problem it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have not personally seen kilos and kilos of drugs being exported from DR but I know it happens.

The main point I was making still stands. This policy is aimed at those from poorer backgrounds not at rich expats.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Just because you personally have not seen a problem it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have not personally seen kilos and kilos of drugs being exported from DR but I know it happens.

The main point I was making still stands. This policy is aimed at those from poorer backgrounds not at rich expats.
Why do you think the DR govt is concerned about Chinese overstayers? Aren't the Chinese heavily heavily invested in this place. I doubt we're deporting any Chinese.

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello
Asking for a couple of friends coming next week from Québec, they will stay more than 30 days. What kind of documents do they have to provide about OWN ECONOMIC SOLVENCY, to get the extension of stay?
The link on migracion.gob.do does not ddefine which documents are needed as proof of economic solvency.
Anybody knows? Thanks in advance.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hello
Asking for a couple of friends coming next week from Québec, they will stay more than 30 days. What kind of documents do they have to provide about OWN ECONOMIC SOLVENCY, to get the extension of stay?
The link on migracion.gob.do does not ddefine which documents are needed as proof of economic solvency.
Anybody knows? Thanks in advance.
You don't need any extension. Just pay a fee at the airport when you leave like thousands of others do that don't read the nonsense posted here. That is a FACT..............................You pay when you leave................And you only need your passport and to be alive...........................

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Thanks for your replies, but my friends absolutely want to make the official request for an extension of stay, so they must know in advance which economic solvency documents are going to be requested of them. Has anyone applied and what documents has he provided for economic solvency, please?

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many of these people are skirting the rule buy cancelling the return ticket. The DR will get stuck with the bill in those cases.
How would they catch those ticket cancellers to deport them and foot the bill for it? They will just pay the overstay fines if they ever leave while paying for their own exits.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
x
How would they catch those ticket cancellers to deport them and foot the bill for it? They will just pay the overstay fines if they ever leave while paying for their own exits.
I was referring to those who get arrested for one reason or the other and deported.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
China is not on the list of Tourist Card Countries:

Clearly Snowbirds using tourist cards have no issues overstaying, except for paying overstay fines

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
x

I was referring to those who get arrested for one reason or the other and deported.
Ah, yes. Certainly not an issue at all in the scheme of things. The DR would be on the hook even if deporting legal residents for sufficiently breaking the law. Not something worth worrying about either in total costs expended.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks for your replies, but my friends absolutely want to make the official request for an extension of stay, so they must know in advance which economic solvency documents are going to be requested of them. Has anyone applied and what documents has he provided for economic solvency, please?
DGM hasn't provided any guidance on what they want there. I suggest sending checking account statements for 3 months and see if they accept that.