Rick from Rocky's story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
As a flight risk it will be difficult for him to get bail. The crown will probably ask for a detention order. It depends on the amount of the fraud and the strength of the crown's case.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
He will definitely get a fair trial but the process is very slow. Frauds are in some cases very difficult to prosecute unless there is a strong paper trail as well as corroborating witnesses.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
If he has no criminal record he will probably be sentenced to less than 2 years and be out in 8 months. This is Canada.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Seeing the warrant number is 49-2015, it's gotta be fairly new. Definitely not something that has been around for a long time.

Even if he does a little time, I wonder if he'll be able to return to run his empire? I would think he could, since he's married to a local.

Does the reach of the Canadian justice system extend to his business in the DR?

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
I wonder how many other expat business owners are looking over their shoulders now. If I was hiding from something like he might have been hiding from, the last thing I would do is open a business in a foreign country. Would it not make more sense to lay low and not be in the public eye. Just sayin.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Sometimes the original investigators will put the case together and if they are unable to find the suspect at that time they will file a warrant. After awhile they have to move on to other cases and the warrant sits there until one of the victims starts to push it or a new detective is assigned and voila he is easy to find and extradite.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
No not derfish. Rick bought Rocky's some years back from Marc. Also bought his Condo and Milka was thrown in the
deal also.

Dafishguy is his handle, yes it was a package deal, condo, rib recipe and wife.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I wonder how many other expat business owners are looking over their shoulders now. If I was hiding from something like he might have been hiding from, the last thing I would do is open a business in a foreign country. Would it not make more sense to lay low and not be in the public eye. Just sayin.

Especially in a business that attracts hundreds if not thousands of Canadians every year. One of them is bond to be connected to someone that knows about your past.

I wonder if he changed his name on DR1 at some point because his profile shows his join date as 2008 but I found a post from 2007 when he talks about the ribs and how he is sitting in Canada at his desk drooling over the thought of those ribs being discussed in a thread

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I guess the dominican wife will get everything now.

What usually happens is all assets are "frozen" bank accounts, etc. Any property and she will
not be able to sell. If he is found liable for the charges, everything he owns can be confiscated.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe the things were not in his name?

this situation kinda sucks for sosua. if the properties get entangled in legal process they may just as well remain abandoned, locked and desolated. it happens sometimes.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Especially in a business that attracts hundreds if not thousands of Canadians every year. One of them is bond to be connected to someone that knows about your past.

I wonder if he changed his name on DR1 at some point because his profile shows his join date as 2008 but I found a post from 2007 when he talks about the ribs and how he is sitting in Canada at his desk drooling over the thought of those ribs being discussed in a thread

Sorry I take that back his join date now seems to appear as 10-30-2007. Not sure what I was looking at earlier.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
maybe the things were not in his name?

this situation kinda sucks for sosua. if the properties get entangled in legal process they may just as well remain abandoned, locked and desolated. it happens sometimes.

Good point. If he put everything in someone else's name, (wife) then she is one lucky gal.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
If there's anything left when and if he returns :ermm:

The business from what I understand is doing alright. Now let's see how things proceed.

Will his Dominican wife patiently wait for him while he serves his time and then willingly give him back his business even if everything is under her name?

This is all assuming the business doesn't get confiscated and sold. That means if his wife doesn't have the money to buy it back, she'll lose it.

Can they remain open while all this is going on?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Stood there once.

Rick and his wife were great hosts.

Damn, you never know!!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Before everyone jumps to conclusions ....As far as I am aware, Rick, just like me, was applying for Dominican citizenship. When you apply they explain that once you have submitted the paperwork correctly and passed your interview then they do checks with Interpol in your home country and the DNI and DNCD here in the DR. If you had committed some massive crime in your home country would you really offer your details to Interpol on a plate? Most of those Interpol are looking for are under the radar, not running a business which is one of the most famous on the north coast with mentions of names in Trip Advisor and most DR guide books. And it really took Interpol 7 years to find him? Something fishy if you ask me.

Matilda

Status
Not open for further replies.