Rick Snyder - Very Sad News!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although we didn't always see eye-to-eye, we used to exchange PMs on topics of shared interest. There is no doubt that he was committed to improving things at a local and national level, through his personal actions (free English lessons to people in El Seybo) and his somewhat quixotic lobbying campaign aimed at the educational authorities.

He had asked me a light-hearted question just last week - now it's too late to reply :(

My condolences to his wife and son, and the rest of his family.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I never met Rick, but he was certainly on my mental "short list" of DR1rs I would like to meet because of the obvious intellegence, unique perspective, and love for the people of the DR he continually displayed in his writings in these forums. RIP Rick and deepest sympathies to your family.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rick,
Bless you and your family and friends.
From the great beyond, hear us, and know that we appreciated you. Thanks for all you did in this world.
Rest in Peace
mkohn

C

Chip00

Although I never met Rick personally I exchanged emails with him and I can tell you he was a principled man who cared about his home and adoptive countries. May God grant him and his family peace. We will miss you Rick.

Sincerely,
Chip

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rick and shared many pm's and e-mails about the education system in the DR. I was truely looking forward to meetinh him in person. I feel like I've lost a friend. I hope that he left his family well provided for. Rest in Peace Rick.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My sincere condolences to his family. I'm in total shock right now. What a loss for this community and the El Seybo people also.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
What a terrible shock. Like apparently so many many people here, I've exchanged pm's with Rick on one of the many topics he was interested in, and I will remember his efforts to improve education in the DR, and his good habit to back up statements with research.
My condolences to his family here in the DR and in the United States.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I sent Rick's family in the US an email and his brother Steve told me it took almost 2 hours for an ambulance to reach Rick but he had already passed away by then. Steve suggested it would be a good topic to discuss on the board and one in which I'm sure Rick would have taken part in.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
I would just like to make a comment about DR1 members and the importance of this forum. Although a lot of friendships are virtual, the depth of the friendhship here is special. I have never experienced such a caring and supportive group of people, its is truly amazing.

My condolences to the family, I wonder if they know how many lives Rick has touched.

Audra

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
2 Hours??? How tragic! That must have been so difficult for his family if they were with him at the time. The must have felt so helpless. I constantly say this-- but we take so much for granted in this country..

Sep 19, 2005
What a wake up call! That is sad news for sure. He was a great contributor here. My sincere condolences go out to his family.

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Aw D@mn! Rick was a man of convictions, and he was a man of action (of course he was, that's how he got to be a Sgt Major!!). His fight for better education, his devotion to El Seibo, his congeniality and his sincerity were for real. he was one heck of a guy and I am stunned as I read this sad news.
I wish his family well.
God Speed, Rick Snyder.

HB

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Oh lord. it is a shocking news. very unexpected.

My condolences to his family that is going thru this sad moment. He will be missed here. DR1 will never be the same without him, that's for sure.

R.I.P Rick.

emperorjss

May 19, 2007
Hello everyone,
It has helped tremendously to read all of your posts regarding Rick and his untimely death. He moved to the Dominican many years ago to retire and live a bit of a slower pace in life. We kept in touch with him via email throughout the years and he would send us pictures of his new family and his son who is now nine years old. Rick served in the United States military for more than 20 yrs. Ricks passion, as we remember was riding motorcyles, which I might add, almost took his life in 1969. He was involved in a very severe motorcycle accident and suffered some paralysis. After several months he finally recovered. At that point, he bought another motorcycle and he continued to ride! He was stubborn and he liked to do things his way!!! He was working for change in the Dominican. He wanted to see everyone live a better life and I hope he touched each and every one of you in a positive and uplifting way. As I mentioned to Anna in my original email to her, the ambulance took almost 2 hours to reach him. At that point it was too late to save him. I am sure if he were here he would be asking for some type of reform to assist in getting emergency response vehicles to those in need. (even though, I know it is difficult). Also, I would like to add that heart disease runs in the family and Rick knew he had heart problems. (he took whatever medicine was available to him) We have been in touch with Blandino Funeral home in Santo Domingo. They are handling everything for us. If anyone could find an obituary in the local paper to email us that would be most helpful. If he is brought back to the US. he will be buried with his mom. I hope this follow-up has helped to shed more light on the circumstances of his death. God bless all of you and thank you for being a part of his life.
Beverly & Steve Snyder

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh my, this is an unexpected shock and saddens me greatly.

For the last few years I have been fortunate to exchange ideas and debate various topics with him on this site. He was one of the few people who truly made me deeply analyze my standing on the various topics we debated on more than a few occassions.

At times harmonious and at other times heated and riddle with attacks, but always interesting, insightful, well researched, and full of passion.

My condolenses to his family and closest friends.

We have already met through the exchange of words and ideas on DR1. If we are remotely related, we shall meet again at another time in another place.

Rest in peace buddy,

Your old nemesis,
-NALs :(

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have never met Rick in person but have learned a lot from his posts. They taught me a lot and helped tremendously. I will probably be re-reading them over and over again every time I am ready to come back to the DR. My condolences to his family and friends.