Ripped off at the petrol station

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
good luck with that

Would rather trust one person that I have known for years , and live with ...........than a different person every time a buy something, .... my system has worked 100% so far........what is your system, and how has that one worked for you???????????Doc???????????????

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
people steal in the first world, too. not just in places like the DR. sometimes they have to pay out several million dollars to settle with victims. yes, it?s not only Dominicans and other third world people who are dishonest.

I don't think I ever insinuated that thievery only occurs in the DR and not the 1st world. I am from a 3rd world country also.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That NEXT station used to be the German fellow,*
He who responded well to complaints... PETER?

I never use one station here in Cabrera...Isla, because it has given problems*

Live and learn*

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Might be- could be.........

remember, it's pennies not dollars they're stealing... midget money
how many know the difference beats me

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
With respect to Propane.
If you have a good digital bathroom scale you will know if they are cheating you or not .. Propane weighs approx 4.2 LB per Gallon.. weigh the tank when empty so you have your baseline or tare wt. and then when filled and you will know exactly how many gallons they put into your "empty" tank.
The larger tanks will actually hold MORE than they are rated for .. I have a couple 7 Gallon or "30 lb" tanks we use for various things like forklifts . Had a guy once UNDERFILL it , and i felt the lack of weight immediately, its quite noticeable once you are used to the Feel of it
, so i asked wtf ? so he says he over filled the other one to 8 gallons and so he dialed the 2nd one back to 6 gals as I had paid for " 2 x 30 gal fills" ,.. turns out it was true .. the scale tells the whole story ..
The Big lot stores in the states and Wal mart have been cheating people for years by UNDER FILLING tanks. like the 20 Lb tanks to 75% of capacity which is outrageous.. they literally put in 3.6 gals , instead of the Full capacity of 4.7 Gals ...
but if you are paying by the GALLON, like in those Larger tanks you have in the DR, you should be getting exactly those Gallons which you paid for ..
So go by the Scale to double check it .

Is it true that some people who are tight on $ actually sometimes pull up and buy just 200 pesos of Propane GAS ?

Sep 4, 2012
The normal 100 pounds gas tank found around the DR weights roughly 70 pounds empty, as JD mentioned, this is also know as tare weight and its usually stamped right on the neck of the tank itself. And yes, the filling stations do cheat heck of a lot with propane.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This doesn't even touch the full serve attendants who like to play games by not resetting etc. I am glad that steps are being taken to correct this.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I always get out of the car .... and Watch them like a Hawk .... Texco on ave espana is pretty decent in SDQ..... there is one guy i brought a beer one time my man washes my windows and tires he is the best.....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The propane stations do rip you off. we have observed that that's why we weigh before and after.

Just curious, how do you check? I assume once you leave, going back later to complain would be ineffectual. Do you have a scale in the car?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Just curious, how do you check? I assume once you leave, going back later to complain would be ineffectual. Do you have a scale in the car?

he puts the scale on top of the hood of his car ... i seen him driving around ....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My husband swears some propane stations rip people off too. He stopped using the one closest to us because of this.

miesposo thinks the same :) he also says the quality of gas differs (maybe it's a storage thing or a part of cheating, i don't know). he uses one station, fairly close, to fill up gas bottles and he takes them there himself. he also has few "approved" gas stations to fill up cars with petrol and again, he does it himself (that is, he fills up my car as well, i don't have to it).

he used to manage gas station so i guess he knows the drill.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As much as possible, I use the same stations (gas & propane) all the time.

The Texaco in RSJ charges the premium price for all grades of gasoline.

I questioned it recently and they said they only had premium...
I took them off my list.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Any credit card pumps in the DR? Here in the US I haven't had someone pump my gas in 20 years. One less ladrone to deal with.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Bred, the NEXT station in the pictures you posted above is East of Sosua. The OP is talking about a station that is West of Sosua.