Road to San José de Ocoa

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I’m planning a trip to Ocoa. Just wondering if the road from
Pierda Blanca to Ocoa is now paved and good to go. I haven’t
been on the road for many years. Used to be very bad. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Drperson

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Seems like no one is familiar with this highway. I’m going to check it out. Going to
visit Ocoa very soon. Will report back. I have been told it has been completed and
is now a very beautiful mountain highway.

Reactions: JD Jones

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Thanks Bob. Reilly nice video. Ocoa has been on my bucket list
for a few years. It’s the only town in the DR I have yet to visit. Any ideas on
a clean cheap hotel in Ocoa, say around 2500 rd ?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I've driven that road many many times, it was completed before the pandemic. It is a lovely drive, takes maybe 90 mins. Some of the most beautiful scenery on the island, one of my favourite trips. I prefer to do it the other way going from Santo Domingo to Ocoa, then through to Piedra Blanca and and end up at Tipico Bonao for lunch.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Bob. Reilly nice video. Ocoa has been on my bucket list
for a few years. It’s the only town in the DR I have yet to visit. Any ideas on
a clean cheap hotel in Ocoa, say around 2500 rd ?
Check out Lomas Hotel, or Rancho Francisco. We stayed in a private house near Rancho Francisco. Looked like it was clean with a large pool.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Just returned from driving the highway from Pierda Blanca to Ocoa . Really
really a beautiful mountain drive. About 55 klm total. All bit 10 klm is paved,
mostly brand new. The 10 klm unpaved is not difficult, wide and graded. Obviously
the plan is to finish this stretch also. Also, almost zero traffic til you pass through
Rancho Arriba.
Spent a day and night walking and driving around Ocoa. Surrounded by green mountains
very close to the city. The center of town in hilly with mountain views around every corner.
Narrow streets and many old buildings. Elevation is high enough to make for mild days and cool nights.
Several small hotels in the center of town, very reasonably priced. All in all, very
interesting place. K

Reactions: westcan

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Just returned from driving the highway from Pierda Blanca to Ocoa . Really
really a beautiful mountain drive. About 55 klm total. All bit 10 klm is paved,
mostly brand new. The 10 klm unpaved is not difficult, wide and graded. Obviously
the plan is to finish this stretch also. Also, almost zero traffic til you pass through
Rancho Arriba.
Spent a day and night walking and driving around Ocoa. Surrounded by green mountains
very close to the city. The center of town in hilly with mountain views around every corner.
Narrow streets and many old buildings. Elevation is high enough to make for mild days and cool nights.
Several small hotels in the center of town, very reasonably priced. All in all, very
interesting place. K
Any good eats

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Not sure. Didn’t really see the whole city but my guess is, very limited.