Robbery experience

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Heard That a Man In Bulgaria Was Stabbed Last Year!!!

This is about the DR,NOT what happens "Everywhere Else"! I don't care what happens in New York" that is irrelevant to me in the DR. Why not discuss the huge increase in DR Crime,and NOT what happens elsewhere. The Italian Owner of the Hotel Costa Lunga who was shot and killed for his motorcycle last week doesn't care about New York crime either!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Heard That a Man In Bulgaria Was Stabbed Last Year!!!

This is about the DR,NOT what happens "Everywhere Else"! I don't care what happens in New York" that is irrelevant to me in the DR. Why not discuss the huge increase in DR Crime,and NOT what happens elsewhere. The Italian Owner of the Hotel Costa Lunga who was shot and killed for his motorcycle last week doesn't care about New York crime either!

C

Chip00

Stay away, pleeease

Yes Criss - we see your point. However people like to add that it is dangerous just about anywhere in the world so therefore they shouldn't worry about coming to visit or living here...but then again maybe that is your real point!:squareeye

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
They

...people like to add that it is dangerous just about anywhere in the world so therefore they shouldn't worry about coming to visit or living here...

Who are 'they'?

Those who come here on holidays will continue to go into raptures about this country and tell us from afar how things really are (including how high crime is in Timbuktu).

Those who do come to live here often fall silent in their praising 'paradise' quickly and I have seen a good number of them become racists within less than six months.

And then there are those who like to see crime threads closed...

mountainfrog

C

Chip00

Who are 'they'?

Those who come here on holidays will continue to go into raptures about this country and tell us from afar how things really are (including how high crime is in Timbuktu).

Those who do come to live here often fall silent in their praising 'paradise' quickly and I have seen a good number of them become racists within less than six months.

And then there are those who like to see crime threads closed...

mountainfrog

I did a quick search for crime and pulled up the first 10 or 12 on that subject and only two were closed. The first one I found closed was done becasue the stuff Helpmann was posting was fairly raunchy, and he's on vaction now btw. The second was closed of which you were a main poster so I can see there is somthing going on with you and the moderator apparently.

Nonetheless, I believe the statement about the expats becoming rascists is an exaggeration, to say the least. People vent frustration here at this forum becasue they can't do it at the "water fountain" at work.

If you don't know already this is one of the more "rigid" forums out there and like most memberships there is a price to pay. I don't always like some of the censorship here but then again sometimes I check out other forums that are a free for all and realize some "discipline" is necessary in order maintain a sense of civility and fairmness.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
why do they close crime threads tourism maybe? maybe a moderator could answer?

I close crime threads when they have nothing to do with DR1 and the DR1 community. And then for all the normal reasons, like off track, non-DR related like we're seeing this thread developing fast and insults amongst the posters. Same reasons as every other thread. The last thing I want to see the living forum develop into, is one whining space for world crime .... I've worked too hard on this forum to see this happen. If your case is germane to a thread and makes sense, it stays. If not, it goes.

Funny, I just realized how, in all my years on DR1, some posters only register and post when they have a crime to report. In all the other years, we hear or see nothing, and then hey bingo .. a crime, so we cry all over DR1. But we never hear the good things from many of those posters. And there are many more good things than bad things.

(Yes, moderators do get cynical over time ...)

Having said that, I do believe that the DR1 is a good place to talk realistically about crime - crime in the DR that affects DR1 members. In fact, crime was a no-no until I opened up the subject on this board - and moderated the first threads heavily, to keep them within bounds. And those that want to tell us about crime in NY or Berlin or Ottowa or Tokyo or Madrid or
Beijing or where-ever can find another board.

And the funny thing is Robert may have a shorter and a much more brutal answer than me. A lot of hard work goes into keeping the DR1 forums free of spam and advertising, and keeping the threads to a high standard and mostly interesting. We aim to keep it that way. If that means that some crime threads, or other threads get closed or deleted, so be it. There always is a good reason for that. For all of your information, and to answer Vince, I would rather have a prepared tourist that a dummy tourist. (I'd also rather have a rich tourist that a poor fellow .. but that's another thread!)

Stay on topic ... Talk about the DR, NY does not count, don't insult others and basically all posts are allowed to wander and meander along as they develop.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The second was closed of which you were a main poster so I can see there is somthing going on with you and the moderator apparently.

No indeed not. Froggy once posted of a crime where he gave no details and if memory serves, Robert closed the thread. As a result, I had quite some correspondence with some folks that were concerned about the Las Terrenas area and I believe I may even have been of some help on a private basis. But I do believe the situation is quite dire there. Froggy never quite forgave me, Robert or the DR1 for that one... But, one day he will I'm sure!

You're right however Chip, few crime threads are closed.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
And just to finalize ... this thread started off with the recounting of a horrid experience by poster bacha. Then, it wandered off the the crime against the hotel owner in Boca Chica. Then it moved to crime in NY and a few shots between Nals and CCCccc, now it is why crime threads get closed and when.

For someone doing any kind of research or checking out anything serious, it is a mess. There are various reasons why we keep threads on topic .. one of them is to make it easier to find information on the DR1.

So, for this thread, its kinda off topic, won't you agree ... its kinda way away from the original focus of the thread. So, it will be closed very soon if it does not find its way back to the original topic. Fair enough? (Yes, I know Froggie will count it as another crime thread closed ;)).

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Thread Closed!

And just to finalize ... this thread started off with the recounting of a horrid experience by poster bacha. Then, it wandered off the the crime against the hotel owner in Boca Chica. Then it moved to crime in NY and a few shots between Nals and CCCccc, now it is why crime threads get closed and when.

For someone doing any kind of research or checking out anything serious, it is a mess. There are various reasons why we keep threads on topic .. one of them is to make it easier to find information on the DR1.

So, for this thread, its kinda off topic, won't you agree ... its kinda way away from the original focus of the thread. So, it will be closed very soon if it does not find its way back to the original topic. Fair enough? (Yes, I know Froggie will count it as another crime thread closed ;)).

I will NEVER understand why Robert, or some of the other people with the authority, close posts/threads that are far more interesting than another sankie piece of shyte.

How is it unnewsworthy, when some owner is killed by 2 ladrones trying to rob his bike and then killed by police afterwards? If the thread got off topic, it should have been addressed and move on!

100% newsworthy, no matter what!!
Steve

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I will NEVER understand why Robert, or some of the other people with the authority, close posts/threads that are far more interesting than another sankie piece of shyte.

How is it unnewsworthy, when some owner is killed by 2 ladrones trying to rob his bike and then killed by police afterwards? If the thread got off topic, it should have been addressed and move on!

100% newsworthy, no matter what!!
Steve

Try running a site as big as this one. You'll understand very quickly.

Pretty please, with sugar on top .. can we get back on topic!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Big Site

Try running a site as big as this one. You'll understand very quickly.

Pretty please, with sugar on top .. can we get back on topic!
Someone DIED! I understand that this site is big but it doesn't change the fact that somones Dad, husband, brother, son, etc was murdered!
I guess I don't get it then.........
Steve:ermm:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i am just trying to figure out how 3 men with no said vehicle go off with 3 TV's, a brand new top of the line inversores,DVD player, a stereo, and 6 suitcases full of clothing (and more) ?!?!?!?! how is that physicaly possible?

Myself...one man at 6'2" had a hard time managing two suitcases last week!

been watching too much CSI here i guess. In another discussion i meantioned how my place has been hit 7 times. Always though they went for the small stuff that was easily portable.

Last edited:

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
i think in this case bachag posted a serious incident to make people aware.
I know bachag and he is mature, wise of the culture, lived for many years in the country, street wise etc...
The point is if it can happen to him, could it happen to you?

Ive also had the pleasure of meeting others on this board some Great Brits, whilst I wasn?t casing their joint they have many, many security measures in place to minimerlise the possibility to themselves.

I guess if your place is not 150% secure, you will get robbed at some point!

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
Asaltan y dan varios balazos a ingeniero en Casa de Campo

SANTO DOMINGO.- El ingeniero Miguel Subero (hijo) fue asaltado en su villa de Casa de Campo por varios sujetos desconocidos que le llevaron su jeepeta, una suma indeterminada de dinero y le propinaron varios balazos. Subero fue lanzado a un ca?averal en la ciudad de La Romana a las cinco de la tarde de ayer, y fue encontrado por agentes policiales que lo trasladaron a la cl?nica de Medicina Avanzada Doctor Abel Gonz?lez de la avenida Abraham Lincoln.
El profesional de la ingenier?a recibi? dos disparos uno en el cuello, cuya bala todav?a no se le ha retirado y otro que le rozo la cabeza.
Su estado es estable, seg?n dijo su padre el tambi?n ingeniero Miguel Subero.
El paciente ser? operado hoy en la ma?ana para retirarle el proyectil que tiene alojado en su cuello, cercano a la vena Aorta

"carcano a la vena Aorta" LOL the Aorta is an artery not a vein and it doesn't run up your neck. When they cut your neck they are cutting the Jugular vein and if they go deep the Carotid artery, then not even the best doctor can save you. Some reporters are retards.

Btw, good to hear you are fine. Get good fire power, practice and get ready to kill somebody.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
..I also wanted a last cigarette so I cracked the patio door a little. I guess I fell asleep without securing the patio door.

Get good fire power, practice and get ready to kill somebody.

or lock the door?

Not for a split second suggesting that anyone 'deserves' to be attacked and robbed, but how would a gun have helped in this situation? It could only have made matters worse. The op was awoken with the knife at his neck, therefore the assailant already had control. So as they searched the home, they'd have found the weapon. Do you think they would have thought ohh, we'd better leave that or do you think they'd take it on their next robbery?

And, as I've said before, the statistics suggest you are more likely to be killed if you draw a weapon on an assailant and can't use it. Most people can't kill someone.

So lock the door and get a dog.

As for crime elsewhere in the world, isn't it worth putting context to situations? A vicar was murdered two days ago, mid-afternoon and he was stabbed in the chest. Yesterday a motorist had his windscreen smashed and he was shot in the chest, he's now critical in hospital. Both incidents in the UK. The Dom Rep crime is increasing and of course, if you live there, you are going to focus on Dom Rep crime but if you are using the site for researching the country you could well gain the impression that the Dom Rep is the wild-west and your 'home country' is the Vatican in comparison! Without some context, non-residents can gain only the one impression.

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
Thanks to all who replied

My wife (Dominican) and I thank you for your replies with suggestions and recomendations. I clearly have more work to do. As a matter of note- the police still come by everyday at various times and the investigation continues.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
#1--> QUIT SMOKING!
#2--> Get a yappy dog, like a chihuahua or a Cocker or a Dalmation.
#3--> Unless you are very militarily trained, avoid a weapon. I can't see you sleeping with a .380 Auto strapped to your groin and shooting up through the sheets...

What happened was horrible, and leads many to just say "Shoot 'em all!" (Haitians)...

Precaution is the key word.

Veering slightly off topic, we (you and me) were warned about an increase in crime when the Free Zones started closing factories and throwing thousands into the streets.

HB