Rocky's Aqua End of the Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does the American lawyer have the proper robes and a fez?

[video=youtube;KCdKBHdPz30]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdKBHdPz30[/video]

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
American lawyer or American muscle? Neither will work in RD. It sounds as if this business deal was conceived over numerous cocktails, and drawn up on a napkin. No serious restaurateur would proceed in the manner that has been described. This is a business. Not charity work. Too many people do not understand this until it is too late.

Could just be another gringo beach bar "victim" in the DR. Not the first, not the last. 'Tis fun to speculate, but better not to ever have had such thoughts.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Could just be another gringo beach bar "victim" in the DR. Not the first, not the last. 'Tis fun to speculate, but better not to ever have had such thoughts.

Maintaining all prior staff from one establishment to another is a proven prerequisite for failure in this business. It is the same as maintaining furniture with bedbugs, or liquor bottles with fruit flies. It is human nature not to like change, but again, this is a business not charity.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Big Frank is in his 70s, and made no secret of his desire to sell for many, many years.

Way back when, Big Frank was the first person I got to know in Cabarete. The man was fascinating, had been there, done it repeatedly, bought the t-shirt shop. Had a story for every occasion. Didn't really matter if they were true, they were always entertaining. And, he kept a fun group of people around him.

One day, he introduces me to his manager, Little Frank (aka frank12). Younger, half Dominican dude so handsome that just by sitting near him, you could guarantee having a chance to see every good looking woman on the beach pass by, more than once, lol. Turns out he had more than a few stories too, and wrote a few books about them.

In a very real sense, they are a big part of what comes to mind when I think about Cabarete. You could buy a Presidente from a hundred other places, but only one spot had Frank. And Frank. They made the place a "must stop," and the experience was always fun and memorable. It was the difference between grabbing a quick drink, and lingering to buy food and several rounds. Both of them are like gravity in their ability to attract and keep interesting folks around them.

Big Frank is somewhat retired, and I wish him well, and calm seas. Little Frank and I stay in touch to this day. He's a really great guy, and wherever he ends up is the place that will get my regular business.

Exactly....

Glad I also had "The big Frank"
experience.....

The guy was awesome!

I was lucky enough to hang out with him a couple of nights at Jose Oshays....

Table was full of beautiful women....

The drinks were flowing!

Everyone was having a blast!

Nice memories.........

And of course LITTLE Frank.....lol

Great guy!

Jan 9, 2004
An American Lawyer? Really.

Good luck with that if it is true.

Don't overlook the fact that a suit could also have been filed in the US by Rocky, and the lawyer is also coming here to insure proper service of process.

Many a Dominican lawsuit with a US citizen or corporation as plaintiff or defendant has ended up in the federal district court in Miami..........and while I suspect that may not be the case here...........it is a possibility......depending in part on choice of law/governing law language in their agreement.....assuming they have a valid agreement.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't overlook the fact that a suit could also have been filed in the US by Rocky, and the lawyer is also coming here to insure proper service of process.

Many a Dominican lawsuit with a US citizen or corporation as plaintiff or defendant has ended up in the federal district court in Miami..........and while I suspect that may not be the case here...........it is a possibility......depending in part on choice of law/governing law language in their agreement.....assuming they have a valid agreement.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I am aware that in the US just about anyone can sue anyone else at any time for anything.

I could not even imagine such a suit about a Dominican beach bar taking place in the US would have any benefit to anyone in the US but the lawyers involved.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It's like hey said in the movie. "Toto we're not in Kanas anymore". I hope it all works out, but this is the DR. Fank12 I'll be back Skip

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
It sounds as if this business deal was conceived over numerous cocktails, and drawn up on a napkin.

I was here the entire time during the negotiations. They actually took several weeks. At one point I believe the deal broke down and it was off the table for awhile. It was not something conceived over cocktails and a napkin. Both were represented by Dominican lawyers.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Rocky's Agua, aside from the old staff and Frank12 when he is there is boring. The tradition of O'Shays was killed when he bought the place and immediately changed the entire place. They have good internet there and some tv's gong in the background, but whatever... its nothing special anymore to me. If the new owner was surprised by something after he bought it, he will have to eat it as a cost of doing business. To let things get this far is dumb....imho I do not see the incentive for Big Frank to work anything out with the new owner at this point. But we shall see.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I’m surprised Rocky’s lasted as long as it did. Should have kept it O’shay’s, big mistake to put all that money into it on Cab beach.

And that horrible blue plastic roof that makes everyone look like death warmed over when they go inside.

Now it will sit there while the DR lawyers make their money in the courts. A far better option is to find a way to settle out of court.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
IO'm curious how a deal in the DR can be in US Federal Court.

How does this happen? The deal structured in the US with the asset offshore?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

It cannot. Might as well file on Mars also....................

But I am sure you will hear some more garbage on "why it can happen".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It cannot. Might as well file on Mars also....................

But I am sure you will hear some more garbage on "why it can happen".

Any comments on the lack of utility of bringing a US based lawyer along? I guess if you want moral support.

Jan 9, 2004

Is one of the parties a US citizen or corporation? If so, jurisdiction could be proper in US federal court....

While it is probably unlikely to happen in this case.......it could....

Lots of Dominican companies and even some agencies of the Dominican government have been sued in Federal Court......remember Sun Land or the myriad of Cap Cana lawsuits.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
Really unsure why of all the Rocky bashing maybe I am just taking it the wrong way. Frank12 even stated he was a good guy. I never had the pleasure of going to Jose O'sheas or meeting Big Frank. So I can't comment on that end of the subject. Personally I really enjoyed hanging out at Rocky's Aqua. I liked the cast of characters that would be there. It was laid back and friendly. The staff was fun and excellent. They made you feel at home. The food was good especially compared to other places on the beach. Rocky was a good guy whenever I met him. The Superbowl party was great. I don't understand why bashing someone for changing what the place use to look like. Things change, I get the feeling if he left it as is people would be bashing him over that. I just hope it gets resolved and opens back up. I hope that for the staff more than anything regardless of who owns it, what it looks like or whatever it will be called. I look forward to enjoying another Superbowl party on the beach there in 2019.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.