Rum....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If money is no object here try this one.

1654863618763.png

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Oh @#$%!
Flor de Caña 18 is the best ron I have ever tasted in my entire life!
Well over my pain threshold for a bottle.
But worth every peso.
A special occasion or once a week sipper for me. Neat.
Will re-up mos def!
Flor de Cana 18750 ml4465$78.47Ron Depot
🥃 🥃

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
My Buddy just brought me a Goslings Black Seal Bermuda Black Rum. Small shot with 1 ice cube in a big glass.

Ay Dios
I got a try of that from a friend too. Good stuff. Any comments about Pussers? Or Mount Gay?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Contrabando rum
Dominican made

I see this around… 700 pesos for 700ml bottle
Rivals the Doble Reserva for price

Haven’t tried it yet but read it’s a vanilla taste along with others
Want to give it a go
I swear to all things holy, I think I'm going to start drinking again. lol

I actually have a bottle of Siglo de Oro and Leyenda here at home. Aging.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Oh @#$%!
Flor de Caña 18 is the best ron I have ever tasted in my entire life!
Well over my pain threshold for a bottle.
But worth every peso.
A special occasion or once a week sipper for me. Neat.
Will re-up mos def!
Flor de Cana 18750 ml4465$78.47Ron Depot
🥃 🥃
You will do a lot better price wise in Duty Free...............

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
You got good taste in ron my DR1 brother.
But with all due respect: @#$% dat!

1. Money is no object for me.
2. I live here. So am not flying back in forth all the time.
3. I am not wasting my precious duty free allocation on something that can be bought out of the store here in 🇩🇴

If I find myself in Duty Free I am buying something that is not available in the stores here in the 🇩🇴
That would be:
Released in 2018 and initially only available in Duty Free stores.
Now this is coming:

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Was there not a relatively recent thread, perhaps more than one, about what a rip-off duty-Free was, generally?

Can you confirm the price today in duty-free so we might compare?

Is this a one-off with good pricing on just this item?

I guess it's possible I'm misremembering, but like Senor Vegas I don't waste my money on stuff I can get in a local store or "back home", unless it's much cheaper, and I'm, sure of the price, or normally it's something I've been coveting but have not been able to find.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Was there not a relatively recent thread, perhaps more than one, about what a rip-off duty-Free was, generally?

Can you confirm the price today in duty-free so we might compare?

Is this a one-off with good pricing on just this item?

I guess it's possible I'm misremembering, but like Senor Vegas I don't waste my money on stuff I can get in a local store or "back home", unless it's much cheaper, and I'm, sure of the price, or normally it's something I've been coveting but have not been able to find.
The robbery we talked about was buying Dominican Rum in Duty free here. Flor De Cana is from Nicaragua and is a lot cheaper in Duty Free than anywhere you can buy it..............

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
I don't fly thru that airport, and if I was flying onto the DR, for a visit, I would not bother with any booze at duty-free. The DR has excellent rum. Like the previous thread, and while it was about DR rum in a DR duty-free, the same concept applies. If it's not a substantial amount cheaper, it's not worth the effort to find it if it's even available, stand in line and haul it home.

Define "a lot" cheaper please. Your first example is about $5USD cheaper than at home, and it's not worth stopping for regardless. The 18-year-old...if it was available I might stop for, but it would have to be an especially good price since again I can order it and have it delivered...but that's just me.

I checked in both STI and SDQ duty-free and they don't currently carry Flor de Caña, so I could not get it to take back home either, even if desired.

For me, it's more about being worth the effort than just the potential savings, and if I'm not saving say $50 I'd rather sit at the bar in the airport enjoying an overpriced beverage or 2 than shopping for things I can order online and have delivered to my home.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Leyenda is cheaper in the liquor store than the duty-free. Keep looking (not hard enough) for something better to take home but can't seem to find anything I like as well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The website rum ratings doesn't like it much. Got excited about the Barbancourt Cuvee until I found out the price.
I am not much of a drinker but I saw some in the supermarket today for 800 pesos 8 year Barbancourt. I get that it's a dark rum similar, but not as good to Pussers navy rum, which I grew up on, as my father was from the Maritimes and rum drinker.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Define "a lot" cheaper please. Your first example is about $5USD cheaper than at home, and it's not worth stopping for regardless. The 18-year-old...if it was available I might stop for, but it would have to be an especially good price since again I can order it and have it delivered...but that's just me.
Like with all things we find value where look. And you have to know your prices. I focus on what I cannot purchase here in 🇩🇴 . And I can get Flor de Caña 4, 7, 12, 18, and 25 here. And check this out...Flor de Caña 7 is less expensive in 🇩🇴 than in Duty Free.
Flor de Cana 7750 ml1015$18.45Ron Depot
Everyday sipper or mixer. I have re-upped a couple of times but probably will not anymore. Because I have less expensive mixers that work well for me and everyday sippers. So I'll take the money I used to spend on the 7 and use it for the 18.

For me even a lot cheaper is not worth it since I can't Jack Daniel's BIB anyplace else than Duty Free right now. And that the BIB version of JD is the best JD I have every tasted. I rock it neat and mix it up in the Jack and Coke for a experience I savor each and every time.
🥃🥃

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I am not much of a drinker but I saw some in the supermarket today for 800 pesos 8 year Barbancourt. I get that it's a dark rum similar, but not as good to Pussers navy rum, which I grew up on, as my father was from the Maritimes and rum drinker.
I am not much of a drinker here and even less so at home in the Maritimes. Just retired and used to give away my rum at work to volunteers, now the stuff is going to pile up in my basement. Good problem to have.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The website rum ratings doesn't like it much. Got excited about the Barbancourt Cuvee until I found out the price.
Many people don't know what Rum should actually taste like. So many distillers add so much sugar to hide their lack of skill and aging that the drinking public in general don't what good Rum or Rhum should taste like.
Barbancourt 8 was the first Rhum (Agricole style) I had the opportunity to taste. I really enjoy it. For the price is an excellent starting point for the introduction to a Rhum. And a good price (and taste) it what makes it a everyday sipper for me.
But one of my buddies that I exchange tasting notes with cannot stand the Agricole style rhums with earthy and grassy taste. It is the real stuff. Like 100% Agave blanco Tequila. You taste the plant and the land it was grown in.