Rum....

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Forgive me --- I did not read ALL the post... but rum is important to me.
I am a 'dark' rum drinker - ok I was a sailor....
I look at it this way, the first drink is very important! Like "good" scotch it can make or break your day.( that is another adventure)
In this country I drink Brugal Extra Viejo, no it is not the best but I am going to have more that one..oooohhh nooo
If you like rum and 'drink it' then find one you like.
Of you want something to sip... enjoy....savour...Then buy the BEST cognac that you can buy ( that is another adventure).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good News - Bad News

So, I left POP yesterday.
Good News - the duty Free has Leyenda
Bad News - $30US... not the $20 (900 pesos) I pay a fuera......

The staff knows the price is bad - not their fault.

How idiotic is that ? The RD pricing mentality?

Yes, I bought it..........anyway !!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Cannot stand rum. I prefer whiskey. I like Mac Albert. I find it amusing that some of their bottles spell it Mack Albert and some without the k as Mac Albert. But the flavor for me is so much better than rum. And as Bob likes to repeat endlessly "Opinions vary."
Der Fish

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
WW

Kept meaning to share with all the brochure from Oliver...the Santo Domingo Company selling rums for connoisseurs.....who sell quality rums through Dufry at SDQ.........and do so today below.

You can find many of these rums at Nacional supermarkets....most in the lock ups.

14cbu3t.jpg

5f455g.jpg

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I tried Leyenda for the first time recently and I loved it. It is made in oak barrels, and that's what gives it that wood smell. I gave some to friends before and they all loved it as well. Also, it is 38% alcohol vs the standard 40% in other rums. That makes it a little bit smoother.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
for "medicinal purposes only" barbanco 5 star haiti cheap enough and available thru haitians and tops the list....a real pirate rum....dark, smooth taste mixes well ,,wife cant yell at u because u need it...etc... medicine!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
WW

Kept meaning to share with all the brochure from Oliver...the Santo Domingo Company selling rums for connoisseurs.....who sell quality rums through Dufry at SDQ.........and do so today below.

You can find many of these rums at Nacional supermarkets....most in the lock ups.

14cbu3t.jpg

5f455g.jpg

have you tried any of these? How did it compare in price and flavour with Zacapa 23 Solera?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen the website....
the company is very quiet.
When contacted by a Rum Lovers' blog, they didn't even answer.

Very small batches, I think

Thanks for the info...........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have the Unhiq XO and it compares favorably

in my private taste tests, the Brugal Leyenda takes the prize every time..... every time, across a broad spectrum of tasters.

Try it............. about 900 pesos

That Unhiq is 3,000 for 500ml..... $$$$$
as i said initially, The Zacapa was my 'go to' rum before Leyenda

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I have the Unhiq XO and it compares favorably

in my private taste tests, the Brugal Leyenda takes the prize every time..... every time, across a broad spectrum of tasters.

Try it............. about 900 pesos

That Unhiq is 3,000 for 500ml..... $$$$$
as i said initially, The Zacapa was my 'go to' rum before Leyenda

have you done the haitian 5 star????

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
well do you see....what u doing running a contest with one brand.....haitian 5 star barbancourt....a top rum.....yo ho ho

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
As I live only part of the year in the north coast and hate travelling to SD and Santiago, does anyone know a place where they
Sell cheaper Sherry fino than Tio Pepe? I pay a 800 pesos in RSJ. Here in Europe you have other brands you even get at 3-5
Euros. Sandeman, barbadillo, etc.
I mean I like Tio Pepe but a bottle is gone in two days as apperitives.