Rum....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hmm... July 31 - my last post.... mi cumpleano !!

OK OK
Necessity is the mother of invention

So , my Hiatal Hernia gives me grief - acid reflux extraordinaire !!!

My normal post diner routine is a bite of chocolate and a slug of rum

Tonight , my discomfort was a bit much... I needed a banana to calm things down (read up on that)

WOW!!!
the chocolate and banana and Dominican rum (AE take note) was an all time killer

Just try it... a la blender... straight...
I should be a bartender....

Like the waiter in The Party - peter Seller's movie
Sellers was Hrundi V Bakshi...the uninvited guest... sort of

Sellers not in 'Black Face'... but Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpKj89GmdbM

The waiter should win a prize... he's from the Dobie Gillis series - Steve Franken

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
I've managed to get my local cigar lounge to carry Brugal. This place is high class but lacks on their rum choices. They've been testing the waters just with some extra viejo and when they had their La Galera cigar event, it was a huge hit and they're ordering new bottles every week. I prefer leyenda over anything in the brugal line, but obviously since you can't get it in the US that I know of, I opt for XV or 1888 (which I've found for 30 - 40 USD in some places). Flor de cana 12 year is usually what I choose if there's nothing else better on the menu, but I never go out of my way for it. Also, at the cigar lounge they're selling extra viejo for a 1.5oz pour for 10 usd A GLASS. They're definitely making some money on the considering here in Michigan extra viejo goes from 19 - 23 usd. The bartenders know me though so I am definitely not paying those prices but still. I couldn't imagine what they'd charge if they got some 1888 in there.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Interesting dynamic yesterday afternoon at our annual hamburger pool party for family and friends, 50 this time.

A group loves their rum and bring different brands, mostly Dominican rums.

I added a bottle of Pusser's gifted to me by a MC guest. I don't drink, so it was unopened.

Guess which rum was the star of the group? Pussers! They loved it!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
WW, have you ever tried a rum called Bayou? i tried the white version..made for sipping...it was lovely.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I had the pleasure of a few drams of 30-Year Ron Quorhum….good god it was good. I have never seen it in the DR. Anyone know?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon
No white liquor....rum or otherwise for me,.....ever

30yr OldRum
How can it miss.?

i read that. i do not like them, either. actually, i do not drink, but i just tasted this one, since it was there.

i would like to try one of their red varieties..the white stuff was very interesting. is that a term i can use for rum?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I like my rum with a cigar or some herb. For that reason I prefer full, sweeter rums. Rum soothes my palate and warms my innards. I drink it slooow...

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Our island economy was founded on salt fish and rum. Our schooner fleet fished the Grand Banks, sailed to the islands with salt fish, and returned with many varieties of rum. Rum running during the US prohibition era further fuelled our economy. Our schooners would head to St. Pierre, an island owned by France 12 miles off our south coast, fill the holds with rum and sail to Maine to offload in the many small secret coves. Our two locally made rums are Big Dipper and Screech. Blended rums of average quality. Our legacy is still evident today if you walk in any of our liquor stores, Rums from Bermuda, Jamaica, the DR, alongside British rums imported when we were a colony of Britain. British rums were introduced by the Royal Navy, during their excursions to our province to enforce their hold on us and deter the French and Portuguese from further attempts to settle our land. Rum, sodomy, and the lash. Any wonder why press gangs were used to supply manpower to the Royal Navy. Our Canadian Navy followed the British Navy tradition of a tot of rum daily for all able seamen. The tradition is gone now although our warships still have rum and beer available in their mess. Dark rum is my personal preference. The darker the better. The older Morgan’s also make excellent hot toddy’s. My friend Russell has a good stock of the better Brugals and Barcelos. I enjoy them all. As Jimmy said, “Where I go I hope there’s rum. Not to worry cause the monsoon come”. Relax my friends, sit back, and enjoy a refreshing glass of dark and dirty.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I like my rum with a cigar or some herb. For that reason I prefer full, sweeter rums. Rum soothes my palate and warms my innards. I drink it slooow...

This thread got me thinking and trying different rums.
I found out I liked sweet smoky, woody flavor and cheap.
Bacardi makes one that fits me well.
Oakheart . Do not know if its in the DR or no.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
my 'go to daily' rum for my especial de casa....is Barcelo Gran Anejo
Normally - 450 pesos or so

They seem to have a special these on some baseball branded bottles to 400 pesos (750ml)

I have been gobbling them up
Keep an eye open

Next up is the double Jumbo that normally sells for ~1,000 pesos
My local club is offering to get it me wholesale !!!!

I am in !!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not know if I have posted on these threads. And I am not going to go through 26 pages of posts.

However, JIC, my favorite used to be Barceló Imperial, which was released each fall in numbered bottles. It was 8 year old ambar colored rum. A cocktail of rum and orange juice was wonderful, truly wonderful. Sipping a couple of fingers on two icecubes was also a great pleasure accompanied by a good cigar.

Recently, I have been gifting Dubar Imperial, a blend of really old rums by part of the Barceló family and Jerry Duprey who married Polita Barceló... It is really excellent for any and all purposes (except with soft drinks like CocaCola!!_) Straight on ice, with soda, or in a sour (Rum sour), it is extraordinary.

If you can find some, do try it.

HB (Nowadays, a near teetotaler and non-smoker..D@mnit!)

leon486

Dec 2, 2009
I’ve not much of a Rum guy, but have you tried “Punta Cana” rum? It’s supposed to be great. I haven’t tried it but I gave a bottle to my boss as a gift. I gotta check on him to see if he liked it.